2012 top tier requirement

Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: no status
Do we interpret "in top of" as "in addition to"? So you can earn your 35k on any *A carrier, but need at least additional 10k on AC to make Elite?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by Merlin666
Do we interpret "in top of" as "in addition to"? So you can earn your 35k on any *A carrier, but need at least additional 10k on AC to make Elite?
No, not an additional 10k.

10k out of the 35k need to be on AC.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by why fly
before all the negative people post, of my 35k AC miles 95% are AC
The other 5% of your AC miles are not on AC? Those other 1750 AC miles are on the top secret Air Canada that you need to know the secret handshake to fly?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by zorn
I'm looking forward to the threads next October:

I have 47k status miles but only 9420 on AC metal will I get Elite anyway?
Maybe someone should start a pool on the number of threads. I'll set the over/under at 6.5, with a side proposition of the number of these threads that start with "I tried searching, but I couldn't find any information...."

I am also envisioning the "I have 29k status miles, but they are all on AC. Shouldn't they give me Elite anyways?"...
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Without beating a dead horse again (AC vs. UA), there have been quite a few UA flyers who chose AC/AP due to:
- 35k vs. 50k status miles for *G
- lounge access
- no starnet blocking
if someone want "lounge access" there are other gold programs to get you that, eg TG and its for 2 years.

AC gold status is only good for someone flying AC, if you fly UA flights its useless. TRUST me it would NEVER be for AWARDS LOL! can you imagine paying AC $165 for a NA award on AC when us is $25 on UA?
AC gold status is good for AC flyers its useless if your not flying AC.
Also just a reminder AP does block awards.

Hey I honestly cannot imagine a UA flyer putting 35k to AC just for the lounge. Also till this year every other year I can remember UA had DOUBLE qualifying miles. So it made its gold around 35k

the other shoe has not dropped wait till the program comes out more IKK cuts and for sure restrictions on what miles can be used. THis is one of many cuts this year.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
DOUBLE qualifying miles. So it made its gold around 35k
Actually, it made gold approximately 25k, give or take 0.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jagboi
The other 5% of your AC miles are not on AC? Those other 1750 AC miles are on the top secret Air Canada that you need to know the secret handshake to fly?
TG
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zorn
Actually, it made gold approximately 25k, give or take 0.
nah you never get all your "mileage" in DQEM months.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
I am also envisioning the "I have 29k status miles, but they are all on AC. Shouldn't they give me Elite anyways?"...
Actually that's not crazy. The way other airlines accomplish the same thing is by having extra miles such as DEQM for flying their own metal, then having higher thresholds. So it's about equally easy to reach those thresholds if you fly their metal but harder if you're flying other airlines.

Hm, that raises a question. If I book a flight marketed by another airline but AC metal does it count towards the 10k? What if I book an AC flight on non-AC metal, does that count?

For that matter, what if I fly LH on a route where AC and LH revenue-share. Surely that should be just as good as flying on an AC flight from their point of view.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
if someone want "lounge access" there are other gold programs to get you that, eg TG and its for 2 years.

AC gold status is only good for someone flying AC, if you fly UA flights its useless. TRUST me it would NEVER be for AWARDS LOL! can you imagine paying AC $165 for a NA award on AC when us is $25 on UA?
AC gold status is good for AC flyers its useless if your not flying AC.
Also just a reminder AP does block awards.

Hey I honestly cannot imagine a UA flyer putting 35k to AC just for the lounge. Also till this year every other year I can remember UA had DOUBLE qualifying miles. So it made its gold around 35k
Well, Ive encountered some FFs who primarily fly UA and credit their flights to AC/AP for the reasons I pointed out (Btw, I never said they redeemed their miles on AC domestic flights, but even you have to admit that some AP *A awards like NA-Europe 100k miles in F provide excellent value, and UA blocking *A awards has been a very common issue over the years (though apparently its not that a huge problem anymore), Im not aware of AP systemically blocking A awards. As mentioned before, both programs have their pros/cons, but only becaue you dont overly like AC/AP is doesnt mean everyone else agrees with you. Shocking, isnt it?

the other shoe has not dropped wait till the program comes out more IKK cuts and for sure restrictions on what miles can be used. THis is one of many cuts this year.
Have you recently changed jobs and become a fortune teller?

I dont see any evidence that the program will be greatly devalued. Last years IKK changes surely didnt benefit all SEs, apart from that I cant remember any major "enhancements". The major change this year will be the upgrade program, and so far theres no info whether the program will become better/worse.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:21 pm
Suspended

I dont see any evidence that the program will be greatly devalued. Last years IKK changes surely didnt benefit all SEs, apart from that I cant remember any major "enhancements". The major change this year will be the upgrade program, and so far theres no info whether the program will become better/worse.
you will know next week.
Oh and for 10 years you could say AC will cut the SE program and win the crystal ball
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Many of the big promoters of AE in the US on FT never step foot on AC metal unless it's an award. They run their miles up using a US AE-affinity credit card, or transfer through Amex MR. Status doesn't matter to them as they have it on their primary American FF program and they get a discounted rate on their RCC membership. But agree this is a long overdue development on the part of AC, and will somewhat reduce the number of foreign Es. Unlikely to affect Ps or SEs.

for anyone who is UA they can PAY $300 for RCC so they are not very likely to put 35k to an AC program, just for lounge access If they just wanted lounge access like you say they would join other programs such as TG when you get 2 years of gold and I assume other programs have the same perk..

there are big changes in the program at AC, just a few days more to find out.

before all the negative people post, of my 35k AC miles 95% are AC

BTW language is exactly the same in the SE email:

New Top Tier 2012 qualification requirements
On top of existing qualification criteria, members will need to earn a minimum of 10,000 Air Canada Status Miles or five (5) eligible Air Canada Status Flight Segments on eligible flights operated by Air Canada and its regional affiliates to achieve 2012 Top Tier status. Remember, the qualification period runs from January 1 to December 31, 2011. Full details will be revealed when we launch the 2011 Top Tier program.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:28 pm

I predict..... It will be better for some people and worse for other people.

Anyone want to give me odds?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Also till this year every other year I can remember UA had DOUBLE qualifying miles. So it made its gold around 35k
Perhaps, but that PremEx still did not give RCC or other domestic lounge access to them. Most Premier and PremEx elites at UA fly domestic and not international, so if they want lounge access they either buy it or consider a low-STARGold tier carrier as a second program. At the moment, it is actually shifting from AE to Aegean, which IIRC only requires something like 15K for STARGold since most of its members only fly regionally within the region and earn minimum mileage.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Here are the most important parts:
Thanks!

Apparently the e-mail Gods have determined that I should wait.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.