Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 top tier requirement

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

2012 top tier requirement

Just got my elite connection email. For 2012, you need 10000 status miles or 5 segments on AC metal to qualify.

"On top of existing qualification criteria, members will need to earn a minimum of 10,000 Air.Canada Status Miles or five (5) eligible Air.Canada Status Flight Segments on eligible flights operated by Air.Canada and its regional affiliates to achieve 2012 Top.Tier status. Remember, the qualification period runs from January 1 to December 31, 2011. Full details will be revealed when we launch the 2011 Top.Tier program."
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Plat, Visa Inf Priv
Agree with this. Surprised it is only 10k.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Good move!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I like it!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Interesting!

Actually this is a clever strategy to lower the number of Elites who have never flown AC and just credit their miles to AC/AP due to the (comparably) low 35k threshold and only create costs for AC.

Definitely a better strategy than increasing the threshold and annoying loyal AC customers.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:22 pm

From a selfish point of view this works fine with me. I'm in no danger of missing these targets.

However it's a bit if an ominous turn for star alliance. The fact that we could use any *A programme and fly any carrier was part of the selling point of the alliance. I like that if one day AC stops working for me I could shop around and try Aegean or Turkish or BMI (not for long...)

If these kinds of requirements start spreading there will be a lot less competition between programmes and a lot less pressure to have good extra benefits like upgrades since your flying pattterns will lock you into a much more limited set of choices.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by zkzkz
From a selfish point of view this works fine with me. I'm in no danger of missing these targets.

However it's a bit if an ominous turn for star alliance. The fact that we could use any *A programme and fly any carrier was part of the selling point of the alliance. I like that if one day AC stops working for me I could shop around and try Aegean or Turkish or BMI (not for long...)

If these kinds of requirements start spreading there will be a lot less competition between programmes and a lot less pressure to have good extra benefits like upgrades since your flying pattterns will lock you into a much more limited set of choices.
I agree... shouldn't affect me personally but for *A it's an interesting move. Not a hugely onerous requirement though, I'd be curious as to how many E/SEs they have that don't earn any segments/miles on AC - must be a significant number for this new change.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC*E, A3*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Interesting!

Actually this is a clever strategy to lower the number of Elites who have never flown AC and just credit their miles to AC/AP due to the (comparably) low 35k threshold and only create costs for AC.

Definitely a better strategy than increasing the threshold and annoying loyal AC customers.
Agreed, although I'd be curious to know how many people (American in particular) use AC Elite for lounge access? Other than the elite bonus miles, that's the main thing I can think of that would benefit someone who doesn't regularly fly AC metal.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zkzkz
Unfortunately the *A benefits have constantly deteriorated over the last years:

- more booking classes that do not earn any miles with Ā partners (NZ, SQ, intra-European LH/OS)
- more restricitons on redemptions: SQ blocking nearly all premium awards, LH blocking F awards on the 380
- top tier bonuses only on a very limited number of airlines (except for the AC/UA/CO reciporcal agreement)

Effectively one needs to choose one airline and join their FFP to really benefit from status (e.g. flying UA and enjoying 1K benefits, flying AC enjoying E/SE benefits), the *A benefits like "priority" service, extra luggage and lounge access (which I could also get through a CC, Priority Club etc.) wouldnīt keep me loyal.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is about time.

Bravo AC. ^
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Plat, AS 75K
yes, but what status do you achieve? Prestige? or Prestige-Lite?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
I agree... shouldn't affect me personally but for *A it's an interesting move. Not a hugely onerous requirement though, I'd be curious as to how many E/SEs they have that don't earn any segments/miles on AC - must be a significant number for this new change.
I think the number of SEs who never fly AC is minimal, but there is a pretty large group of people who credit 35k miles / year to AC/AP in order to get E status, the two largest groups I can think of:

- UA/CO fliers who donīt get lounge access otherwise, the number of UA-flying Es probably even increased since the top tier mileage bonus also applies to UA/CO flights
- FFs located in Europe who mainly fly TATL routes and wouldnīt make SEN status with LH M&M (= *G)

AC was the best option for these FFs for a long time, until TK and A3 joined *A who have much lower mileage requirements.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I agree with this - why should AC provide benefits to people who generate little to no revenue for them? 10,000 AC miles or 5 AC segments is not a hard requirement to meet either IMO.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: AE, SPG, HH
Also agreed that this is a good move and one that won't bother me, rather than increasing the miles needed for status. I personally fly AC as much as I can - and on my own dime no less. Upping the mileage req for achieving status will have me looking elsewhere for sure but requiring one to actually fly AC to receive AC status just makes sense.

And on another note... was at about 8k status miles at the beginning of October, now over 35k with more planned. End of year flying is the suckage but it brings me status!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, is the 10k miles or 5 segments on AC metal requirement the same for P/E/SE status? (As I only received one newsletter )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.