Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 top tier requirement

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by helraiser
10k miles or 5 segements is NOT hard to achieve! Heck, I can get close to that on a trip to YVR that'd cost maybe $400 return. YXE-YEG-YVR-YEG-YXE. That's 4 segements.....
Creative routing helps.i.e. YSB/YYZ/YVR/LAS/-LAS/SFO/YYZ/YSB gives you 6 segments,at least 5 on AC metal
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC*E, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by will5404
It does matter to them, or they wouldn't of done it.

People have already pointed out similar requirements are on other *A carriers.
I was talking about other AC Top Tier members, not AC themselves.

I haven't seen one *A member listed in this thread that requires you to sit on their metal to get status. Lots of different mileage levels of getting *A G yes.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GlennH
I was talking about other AC Top Tier members, not AC themselves.

I haven't seen one *A member listed in this thread that requires you to sit on their metal to get status. Lots of different mileage levels of getting *A G yes.
Perhaps AC is playing the lead dog role?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

If I'm not competing with them for space in MLL's or upgrades or any other AC specific benefit, what does it matter to them?

The point here is in Canada, I can only collect miles on everyday living through AE. If I remove my flying activity from AE that is a significant hit to the number of miles I am collecting in AE for any given year. DM or MP has no other benefit to me in Canada whatsoever.

As I have already stated, 5 segments is not a big deal to me but where does this stop? There are no such requirements in place for other *A carriers.

If there was another choice of complete FF program for *A in Canada, I would gladly trade, but there is not. Therefore I am forced to comply.
Forgive me, but I'm not sure what your argument is.

You want to continue to accumulate aeroplan points. Nothing in the 2012 requirement is going to prevent you from that. AC will continue to allow you fly US/CO/UA and credit to your aeroplan. The only problem is that you will not achieve status (MLL, priority boarding, upgrade certs...) which you do not seem to be concerned about anyway
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by illico
Forgive me, but I'm not sure what your argument is.

You want to continue to accumulate aeroplan points. Nothing in the 2012 requirement is going to prevent you from that. AC will continue to allow you fly US/CO/UA and credit to your aeroplan. The only problem is that you will not achieve status (MLL, priority boarding, upgrade certs...) which you do not seem to be concerned about anyway

In that case you have missed the point of the conversation completely....of course I am interested in status. I am interested in status with the program that I collect miles from all sources with. I have no interest in DM or MP as a Canadian resident. Please read the thread /previous posts properly first.

Last edited by GlennH; Dec 4, 2010 at 12:33 pm
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by why fly
glad you don't negotiate for me.

How any restriction can be good?
I haven't given up anything. No risk of me not flying 10k or 5 segments on AC. I also would prefer that those with AC status actually fly the airline, which should ultimately be better for the AC bottom line and protect my future interests.

I don't see anything negative in this.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
In that case you have missed the point of the conversation completely....of course I am interested in status. I am interested in status with the program that I collect miles from all sources with. I have no interest in DM or MP as a Canadian resident. Please read the thread /previous posts properly first.
What makes you think that because you're based in Canada you should be given AC top tier status?? That's like saying just because I like Hilton hotels, but I stay at Marriotts, I should be given Hilton status.
The basic fact is that the programme is one of loyalty. I don't know if you understand that word, so let me explain. AC doesn't want you loyal to the *A, they want you loyal to AC - the *A strengthens their program, sure, but it's supposed to be for loyal AC customers.
Why do you think AC should pay for you to access RCCs in the US if you never fly AC?
The reason for AC's low req. is that many Tango fares don't earn status miles. Well, one of the reasons anyways.
It really shouldn't be that hard for you to get 5 seg's on AC if you're Canada based. Sure, you may pay a few extra $.

I, for one, thank AC for putting out this requirement. It'll keep people like you in perspective and won't cut up the program for people like me who actually fly over 100K annually on AC.

Thank you for listening!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by jlisi984
What makes you think that because you're based in Canada you should be given AC top tier status?? That's like saying just because I like Hilton hotels, but I stay at Marriotts, I should be given Hilton status.
The basic fact is that the programme is one of loyalty. I don't know if you understand that word, so let me explain. AC doesn't want you loyal to the *A, they want you loyal to AC - the *A strengthens their program, sure, but it's supposed to be for loyal AC customers.
Why do you think AC should pay for you to access RCCs in the US if you never fly AC?
The reason for AC's low req. is that many Tango fares don't earn status miles. Well, one of the reasons anyways.
It really shouldn't be that hard for you to get 5 seg's on AC if you're Canada based. Sure, you may pay a few extra $.

I, for one, thank AC for putting out this requirement. It'll keep people like you in perspective and won't cut up the program for people like me who actually fly over 100K annually on AC.

Thank you for listening!

If you had read properly, I already have 5 segments on AC this year.

Your Hilton / Marriot argument does not make sense. In Canada, if I want to be in a full frequent flyer / points program, AE is my ONLY choice.

If I could earn DM or MP points on VISA, Esso, CIBC, etc then I would switch! Why would / should I be forced to fragment my mileage earnings?

As for loyalty.....apparently being loyal to *A in the last 10 years has been fine up until now with AC.

Again, It really wont be a problem for me to get another 5 segments next year on AC. Its the priniciple. When does it stop? 20,000 in 2013?

Thanks for listening!

Last edited by GlennH; Dec 4, 2010 at 12:57 pm
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat

Your Hilton / Marriot argument does not make sense. In Canada, if I want to be in a full frequent flyer / points program, AE is my ONLY choice.

If I could earn DM or MP points on VISA, Esso, CIBC, etc then I would switch! Why would / should I be forced to fragment my mileage earnings?

As for loyalty.....apparently being loyal to *A in the last 10 years has been fine up until now with AC.

Again, It really wont be a problem for me to get another 5 segments next year on AC. Its the priniciple. When does it stop? 20,000 in 2013?

Thanks for listening!
Well, if you're fine (ie. have requalified), then stop making arguments in this thread or you'll meet the same fate as contikipaul. For now the requirement is at 10K and there is no indication that it should change, and when it changes, we'll all bash at AC together!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:02 pm

Well, if you're fine (ie. have requalified), then stop making arguments in this thread or you'll meet the same fate as contikipaul. For now the requirement is at 10K and there is no indication that it should change, and when it changes, we'll all bash at AC together!

Arguments....its a discussion thread is it not?

This sets a precedent which COULD affect me (and many others I suspect) in following years if the 5 segment / 10k mileage requirement is raised.

So all things should be cheered regardless in the AE forum is that it?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
or you'll meet the same fate as contikipaul
Hang on. There's a very big difference between providing an opinion on a recent change in policy and the example you've given.

I think we should be encouraging different perspectives in this forum, shouldn't we? It wouldn't be much of a discussion forum without some diversity in perspective.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:30 pm

Nothing ridiculous about it.....AE is the only full program in Canada where I can earn miles on groceries, gas, /insurance, VISA card, banking and FLYING.

Why should I sign up for DM or MP just to dilute my AE program benefits? Top tier status is a program benefit.

Besides, as mentioned above AC gets my international business, but on routes within NA which AC does not serve, why should I be punished for not flying with them and taking a flight with a *A carrier that IS part of the alliance with AC?

That is the whole point of *A is it not?

Your Iberia comparison wasn't even remotely close...........
I think you have inadvertently hit the nail on the head here. IMHO the problem with the current "loyalty" program that AC uses is that it isn't a "frequent flyer" program. As you say, you can earn miles for groceries, gas, insurance, VISA card and banking. You can also earn miles for hotel stays (although that is travel related), online shopping, buying tropicana orange juice and many other items that have nothing to do with flying. There is no such thing as Aeroplan top tier status (similar to Airmiles where you earn "gold" for shopping at a certain number of retailers and getting a certain number of miles in a year), there is only Air Canada top tier status.

I can entirely see why you wouldn't want to dilute your miles by going for another airlines FFP but look at it from AC's point of view. If all of your aeroplan miles come from other airlines, you are no different to AC than someone who accumulates all of their miles from buying orange juice or filling up at Esso; why would AC consider you to be one of its top customers?

If Air Canada truly had a frequent flyer program, where you could only earn miles from flying (and maybe some other travel related items), but didn't allow you to collect miles by shopping at certain pharmacies, hardware stores, gas stations, banks, etc. you likely wouldn't have the dilema you currently do as you would be a frequent customer of AC and its (not aeroplan's) partners.

Originally Posted by why fly
glad you don't negotiate for me.

How any restriction can be good?
In this case, restrictions can be good. We have no idea what percentage of AC's top tier members get AC status without ever setting foot on an AC plane; for all we know it could be a significant portion. Many of AC's benefits do not really cost the airline anything unless they fly AC (upgrade certs, etc.), but some benefits (such as lounge access) cost AC money regardless of what airline they fly. In addition, there are overhead costs associated with overseeing the top tier program. Granted, many of these are likely considered fixed costs, but there is probably a variable component associated with having more top tier members. If AC partly "culls the heard" then these additional costs go away. If AC puts even a portion of the cost savings back into the top tier program for the benefit of its remaining top tier customers, the restriction can indeed be a good thing.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by YQMer
Hang on. There's a very big difference between providing an opinion on a recent change in policy and the example you've given.

I think we should be encouraging different perspectives in this forum, shouldn't we? It wouldn't be much of a discussion forum without some diversity in perspective.
+1

Thanks for listening!
As I mentioned in a previous post, loyalty to *A does not necessarily equate to loyalty to AC. In the new requirements, you still get the benefit of your loyalty to *A, but you must also fly a token amount with AC.

We like to listen.

Arguments....its a discussion thread is it not?

This sets a precedent which COULD affect me (and many others I suspect) in following years if the 5 segment / 10k mileage requirement is raised.

So all things should be cheered regardless in the AE forum is that it?
Agreed, this could be the start of a slippery slope, but opinions will differ on whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. In the suggestion box thread I had originally suggested a different calculation, 25% of miles or segments flown on AC for each tier level based on method of qualification (this was my suggestion number 4 on the list). Things could be made more interesting if my first suggestion on the list were to be implemented in addition to the minimum AC requirements...
Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite

Thanks for listening!
While I understand your position.....

You are confusing AC and AP by discussing VISA, Esso etc. I don't think that AC cares how much gas we buy, but to obtain AC privileges they are implementing a rule for a low basic AC metal level. Do I agree with it, in principle: NO.

But they believe that they are giving a tangible benefit to people who do not fly on AC metal without obtaining any direct revenue in return. I get their point of view as well.

I was actually relieved that it is 10K/5 segments. What if they said you had to achieve P minimum on AC metal?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ac777
Not entirely true--some top tiers on LH and SQ requires travel on their metal only--AFAIK
SQ only requires one fly SQ metal and only in paid :J" for PPS.
LH same for HONS , with LH for HONS unlike SQ, coach or J count. As well codeshare where LH does not service. Example: MEL-SIN or SYD-SIN on SQ codeshare. However SIN-FRA SQ codeshare does not qualify towards HONS because LH has service SIN-FRA.

Both SQ & LH for regular tier status *A flights count as long as they are on EQM earning fares

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.