Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Stopover Hotel Program [likely terminated as of early 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Air Canada Stopover Hotel Program [likely terminated as of early 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
Naz, are you saying Aeroplan passengers have access to the stop over program?
Yes. Though I wish I had a $0 option like the other fellow.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: AP SPG HH
I didn't know that. When I booked my reward flights the option was not offered. When I checked in "stop over" it lists my flights but I get a technical error. Maybe ACV hasn't loaded the available hotels for that time of year yet.
Last month we were paid J and stayed at the Sheraton Hotel and Conference Centre. The refurbishment was very nice! We would stay there again for sure.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
I didn't know that. When I booked my reward flights the option was not offered. When I checked in "stop over" it lists my flights but I get a technical error. Maybe ACV hasn't loaded the available hotels for that time of year yet.
Last month we were paid J and stayed at the Sheraton Hotel and Conference Centre. The refurbishment was very nice! We would stay there again for sure.
Curious - what was the price?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:16 am

Free with paid J, about $230 online.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:21 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
First experience trying to use the stopover program, going through YYZ on the way to the Caribbean around Christmas. $3K flexible business fare, one-way. Sheraton YYZ not offered. A Niagara Falls hotel for free, a crappy airport Sandman for like $25 or a couple of downtown Toronto hotels for around the same price. I thought "Oh no, the Sheraton YYZ must be sold out or outrageously expensive!"

Nope, it's $185 for the night. The Alt is available for even less, but also not offered. Mediocre though it is, that's still better than the junk options AC offered.

Way to go, AC. Some "perk" the stopover program is.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
First experience trying to use the stopover program, going through YYZ on the way to the Caribbean around Christmas. $3K flexible business fare, one-way. Sheraton YYZ not offered. A Niagara Falls hotel for free, a crappy airport Sandman for like $25 or a couple of downtown Toronto hotels for around the same price. I thought "Oh no, the Sheraton YYZ must be sold out or outrageously expensive!"

Nope, it's $185 for the night. The Alt is available for even less, but also not offered. Mediocre though it is, that's still better than the junk options AC offered.

A Niagara Falls hotel for free.............HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. This airline keeps me entertained sometimes.

As an aside I haven't heard of this product, thanks for letting me know, however, it doesn't sound like I will need it anytime soon.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by The smallest state
A Niagara Falls hotel for free.............HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. This airline keeps me entertained sometimes.

As an aside I haven't heard of this product, thanks for letting me know, however, it doesn't sound like I will need it anytime soon.

There is even a thread.

The Air Canada Stopover Hotel program ...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...program-6.html
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

If AC offered free transportation to those hotels, that may in fact be a nice option. But otherwise...

But I guess I learnt something today: I always thought that the AC Stopover Program only included airport hotels.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:04 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Did you get credit of a SPG qualifying night when staying at Sheraton Gateway and did you get platinum benefits such as upgrade, lounge access?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by escape4
Did you get credit of a SPG qualifying night when staying at Sheraton Gateway and did you get platinum benefits such as upgrade, lounge access?
I have the same question, if any one knows.
I have a 10 hour stopover in YYZ and they are offering the Sheraton Gateway for $138 (Flex Fare). SPG wants over $100 more.

Any know if I will get platinum benefits and/or credit for the stay?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:19 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I contacted the Platinum desk and the Sheraton Gateway directly with my questions. A night booked under the Air Canada stopover program will not count as a qualifying night. However this particularly property (Sheraton Gateway YYZ) will allow Club Lounge access to Platinum members as goodwill, despite the fact that they are not required to do so since the night is not booked directly with Starwood.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:14 pm

I just booked my stopover at YYZ for a trip to the US, Aeroplan rouge plus. They are charging $49.00 per person/ticket not per room. Has this happened to anyone else or is this a computer glitch??? What hotel charges per person (in a couple) anymore???

Last edited by Northern Canuck; Aug 18, 2017 at 11:56 am
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:22 am

Update: While speaking with ACV I was told that this is their policy... to charge per person/ticket not per room. So be advised that when travelling with your spouse/partner AC will charge for each of you. Of course there are ways around this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Just had my first hiccup with the program. Essentially, my routing YVR-LHR-ZRH(stop)-PAR(destination)-ZRH(stop)-YYZ(Stopover)-YVR does not qualify for the stopover program. he fare is YVR-PAR with stops in ZRH in both directions. However, the program does not apply to what is called a "Multi-city" trip. This is a bit strange since the fare is YVR-PAR and the fare allows free stops. The routing is fine etc. I could have just not stopped in ZRH - with the same fare and routing - and then it would allow the hotel.

The problem too is that I had the ticket issued and paid and then only after requesting the hotel, did I find out it is not an eligible routing because of a "Multi-city" exclusion. I would not have considered my trip "Multi-city" in the true sense - it's just a regular A-B with stopovers as opposed to 3/4 fare segments combined into an itinerary.

What's up with this? I am having a hard time - IT or commercial reasons - understanding why this would be an exclusion?

So now I'm stuck with a stop in YYZ - one which I did not really want - and now one for which I have to pay for my hotel.

Any thoughts on this?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: *$ Green
I was under the impression the hotel stopover program was for forced overnight stays, not intentional bookings.

TK did the same thing, amd went as far as telling me that if I stretched the stopover, I wouldnt get a hotel even if my routing was eligible (ie, shortest connection time made me eligible, but could not stay an extra 6h).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.