Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Stopover Hotel Program [likely terminated as of early 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Air Canada Stopover Hotel Program [likely terminated as of early 2022]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2020, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
I've had the T3 Sheraton offered for either very cheap or free back in 2019. So it does happen...
Likewise. On a BOS-PEK itinerary (or back), mid 2019.
Old May 21, 2020, 1:33 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Gateway is a dump anyway. needs a revamp big time!
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by RZR
Gateway is a dump anyway. needs a revamp big time!
Definitely, especially for the premium prices (retail rates) they try to charge for it.

Used to be a good deal on SPG cash and points, but for $400+ a night, they are strictly charging for convenience. There's a four points that's walking distance...

Regardless if the Gateway is offered through the stopover program I feel it's the best choice, as I certainly value the convenience.
Old May 23, 2020, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
My goal would be to land in YYZ, get some free sleep, then spend the next morning/afternoon with friends and family who live around YYZ.
This would not be currently possible as the mandatory 14-day quarantine would prevent you from visiting family & friends.
zappy312 likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cedric
This would not be currently possible as the mandatory 14-day quarantine would prevent you from visiting family & friends.
It would also not be possible in 1985 before I was born or I had any friends or family who lived around YYZ or the stopover hotel program existed.

Neither statement is relevant to my trip.
Old May 23, 2020, 8:29 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Then why can't they just say that? How many times in the past week have poorly written AC T&C annoyed me...
It's clear that T&C don't get run by anyone who actually thinks through the details like we do before they get posted

"I'm debating rescheduling the SFO-YVR/YYZ flight if I can get a free hotel."

The ticket, as booked, is not eligible. If UA marketed AC flights on 016 stock are eligible, I would rebook it to have ~18 hours in YYZ. If not, I'm content leaving it as is.
My brain was really not working properly that morning
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 6:52 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Definitely, especially for the premium prices (retail rates) they try to charge for it.

Used to be a good deal on SPG cash and points, but for $400+ a night, they are strictly charging for convenience. There's a four points that's walking distance...

Regardless if the Gateway is offered through the stopover program I feel it's the best choice, as I certainly value the convenience.
Yes, for convenience.

25 years ago, it used to be a real nice place
Old May 24, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I've been in the Gateway on ACs, er, other stopover program.

I guess since 100% of their customers either have more money then brains, or are using someone else's money, they can get away with $20 1oz martinis.
Old May 24, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Neither statement is relevant to my trip.
What makes you special so you can avoid the quarantine? You are a person, and are entering from the U.S. That requires a mandatory 14-day quarantine.
The Government of Canada's Emergency Order under the Quarantine Act requires persons entering Canada by air, sea or land to isolate for 14 days if they have symptoms of COVID-19, or to quarantine themselves for 14 days if they are asymptomatic to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Old May 24, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
What makes you special so you can avoid the quarantine? You are a person, and are entering from the U.S. That requires a mandatory 14-day quarantine.
Because my trip isn't tomorrow?

It's possible to book tickets for May 2021...
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by etgohomeok
It does say on the website that one-way bookings are eligible, and there are no discontinuities in my routing (or stops > 24 hours) so I believe that my itinerary is a one-way booking and not multi-city?

WRT Aeroplan bookings not being eligible, is that based on any confirmed reports of people trying to book a hotel through this program and being rejected due to the booking being a reward booking?

If nobody has tried yet then I'm happy to be the DP I want to see here.
Not sure if you called yet, but I called today to see if a one way Aeroplan booking was valid for the stopover. The agent was willing to try just about anything - initially the system just said not eligible with no explanation apparently - and I spent quite a bit of time on hold as she discussed with a supervisor but no go. All she was presented for with respect to options in their system were the regular retail rate for a room at various hotels.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Neither OW or RT Aeroplan (award) bookings are part of the stopover program unfortunately
Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Neither OW or RT Aeroplan (award) bookings are part of the stopover program unfortunately
It might not be, but I wanted to provide the data point since there is nothing in the T&C on the website to indicate that this is the case.
pmarrsouth and Adam Smith like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:08 pm

First question in the FAQ explains eligibility relatively clearly.
I suppose it could be argued that Aeroplan is a travel agent.

How do I know if I’m eligible for Air Canada Stopover?

You’ll be offered the Air Canada Stopover option when you purchase a one-way or round-trip ticket (any fare) at aircanada.com or through your travel agent, provided:
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Has anyone successfully done a multi-city or open-jaw with the stopover program? Pre-Covid, I had a "regular" RT ticket (that may have technically been a multi-city) and ultimately didn't qualify according to both the website and a phone rep.

I'm suspecting AC's site may have interpreted it as multi-city because it started as a multi-city search on GF, and was then pushed to AC's site. Perhaps that "configuration" was maintained when pushed over. (Without that knowledge, a casual observer of the itinerary would likely see it as a plain-Jane RT.)

Fwiw, it was AC-ticketed (and via AC's site itself), and mostly AC-operated (save for a couple partner segments). No additional OTA middle-men.

Last edited by futuramadramallama; Mar 16, 2021 at 7:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.