Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm not sure about that.

On June 5 2019, I booked a ticket for travel from June 29 2019 through July 8 2019. I flew the outbound, and cancelled the return. The cancellation email says:

So it sounds like if you BEGIN flying within a year, you'll then have another year to rebook. But you have to take the first flight. But don't take my word for it.
I've been wondering this too - do you have one year from original ticket date to FLY or do you have one year from original ticket date to REBOOK.

Eg would any ticket booked on August 31st 2019 have to be completely flown by August 31 2020, or could you book for, say, April and then once October 2020 is available change it to that? I'm thinking not.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I've been wondering this too - do you have one year from original ticket date to FLY or do you have one year from original ticket date to REBOOK.

Eg would any ticket booked on August 31st 2019 have to be completely flown by August 31 2020, or could you book for, say, April and then once October 2020 is available change it to that? I'm thinking not.
I booked mine on June 5 2019 and I'm allowed to fly June 29 2020.

You must commence travel within one year of original ticketing date, and you must finish travel within one year of initial travel date, from the way I read my email.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I booked mine on June 5 2019 and I'm allowed to fly June 29 2020.

You must commence travel within one year of original ticketing date, and you must finish travel within one year of initial travel date, from the way I read my email.
I read your e-mail and it does say "commence", so there's hope that e.g.

Book August 31st 2019 for known "wrong" dates in, say, April 2020
Once availability opens up, schedule for
Departure late August 2020
Return October 2020

WOULD be allowed... Hope. Optimally we'd have left in September or October 2020 but MAYBE I can make late August work. I definitely won't be able to make leaving in July work for a return in August, which would be sad to lose a stopover...
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by tbuff
Hi

Long time since I've been here.

Wondering if this would work under the new rules

YWG-ORD-FRA (stop)-SIN (dest)-SFO/Something-ORD-YWG in J. 4 seats, travel April 2020. Cannot book for a few months. Can't do any more stopovers.

Would this be 155k per seat? Suggested airlines or routings that would be available? Haven't looked at routing through Europe to Asia before on Star Alliance.

Many thanks.
Did some digging

YWG-ORD UA
ORD-FRA UA
FRA-SIN appears to work on TK but connects - direct available?
SIN-SFO/SEA routes through Korea on Asiana - how is SQ J availability?

or should I go the other way first? IE SFO SIN?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:28 am

Do SEs get free changes? Or just free cancellations?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by flyer05
Do SEs get free changes? Or just free cancellations?
Both.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I read your e-mail and it does say "commence", so there's hope that e.g.

Book August 31st 2019 for known "wrong" dates in, say, April 2020
Once availability opens up, schedule for
Departure late August 2020
Return October 2020

WOULD be allowed... Hope. Optimally we'd have left in September or October 2020 but MAYBE I can make late August work. I definitely won't be able to make leaving in July work for a return in August, which would be sad to lose a stopover...
I'm not entirely sure on this but if you take your first flight before August 31, 2020 then your good for sure.

In my case, to minimize risk and maximize value, i'm going to book a round trip along a mini-RTW. I'll be flying to IST as my first stop in the mini-RTW in April 2020 and have dummy bookings for IST-SIN(stop)-MEL(dest) for May 2020. After I fly the IST leg, I'll call into aeroplan and push out my remaining flights to March 2021 and ensuring my travel ends before April 2021 (within 1 year of my first stop in IST). . I'll return back from IST to Canada on a separate ticket and link up with my remaining flights out of IST in March 2021 on a separate ticket as well. Keeping my final destination (MEL) unchanged, hopefully I wont be subject to any new reward fee structure that I am expecting.to come about.

Getting away from work long enough to enjoy europe, asia and australia in 10-14 days is difficult so I'll have a little european adventure next year and a long asia/australia trip in 2021.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by bichoo
hopefully I wont be subject to any new reward fee structure that I am expecting.to come about.
Your profile says AC*E. If that's accurate, any more changes to the fee structure will be neutral or positive for you.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:46 pm

Hi.

Working on mRTW routing, and I have a question re taxes, fees, etc.

If I book several consecutive flights with Air India in the middle of a longer itinerary, do I pay the fees on each flight, or only on one?

I am looking at flying into and out of India on Air India, (and perhaps taking another flight or two domestically, depending on the answer to my question as well) if that matters.

TIA for any help.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
OK, so i am researching a miniRTW for next spring. This is what I have so far:

YUL-SFO-LAX-SYD-AKL (or WLG) - stop
AKL-WLG-MEL-SIN-DPS - stop

From here I have 2 scenarios:

DPS-SIN (or BKK)-ADD - stop
ADD-FCO (or MXP)-ZRH-YUL

or

DPS-IST- stop
IST-(maybe VCE)-ZRH-YUL

Questions:
-Are either of these itineraries within MPM?
-If not, would starting in YQB help?
-Any way I can get JNB to work if I keep AKL? Or even just with DPS?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by kalderlake
If I book several consecutive flights with Air India in the middle of a longer itinerary, do I pay the fees on each flight, or only on one?
You pay the fees for the full itinerary. These cannot be determined by looking at the fees of each flight individually.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Twickenham
You pay the fees for the full itinerary. These cannot be determined by looking at the fees of each flight individually.
Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Twickenham
OK, so i am researching a miniRTW for next spring. This is what I have so far:

YUL-SFO-LAX-SYD-AKL (or WLG) - stop
AKL-WLG-MEL-SIN-DPS - stop

From here I have 2 scenarios:

DPS-SIN (or BKK)-ADD - stop
ADD-FCO (or MXP)-ZRH-YUL

or

DPS-IST- stop
IST-(maybe VCE)-ZRH-YUL

Questions:
-Are either of these itineraries within MPM?
-If not, would starting in YQB help?
-Any way I can get JNB to work if I keep AKL? Or even just with DPS?
I"m not an expert, but here's my take:

Using the technique outlined here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28509402-post231.html

the MPM to AKL from YUL is 14324, and from YQB it's 14521.

Looking at the Great Circle Mapper, either of the return routes you outline is well over that.

BTW: the MPM for YQB to JNB is 12707, and that from YUL must be a similar number.

You might be able to do YUL-DPS-YUL via JNB if you can find a fairly direct route back from JNB.

Last edited by kalderlake; Aug 2, 2019 at 8:50 pm
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
MEL is your furthest point, not AKL. If you make MEL your final destination, you will have more MPM, its around 16,000 from YQB.

Looking at the Great Circle Mapper, either of the return routes you outline is well over that.

BTW: the MPM for YQB to JNB is 12707, and that from YUL must be a similar number.

You might be able to do YUL-DPS-YUL via JNB if you can find a fairly direct route back from JNB.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

The only way DPS works via JNB is if one does the JNB SIN direct flight which is only ever available in Y.

All other routings (via ADD or PER) go over MPM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.