Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini RTW Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:01 pm

Hey everyone,

I appreciate everyone’s feedback.

For the record, I had no idea that there was a service available to have AE redemption itineraries planned. I am happy to pay for this service if someone can direct me to one. Had I known this before hand I wouldn’t have been inconveniencing members of this community so much.

I’m sorry if I came across as “demanding”. I am happy to support someone that does this for a living. All that being said, I don’t appreciate the negativity. I am not a regular FTer. I was able to avail the knowledge and resources for my Mini RTW a few years ago, and was anticipating the same support from the community this time around.

Thank you for all of you that were able to provide some constructive feedback and guidance. If it’s not too much trouble, if someone can point me in the direction of a professional, it would be appreciated.

^
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ibby
Hey everyone,

For the record, I had no idea that there was a service available to have AE redemption itineraries planned. I am happy to pay for this service if someone can direct me to one. Had I known this before hand I wouldn’t have been inconveniencing members of this community so much.

I’m sorry if I came across as “demanding”. I am happy to support someone that does this for a living. All that being said, I don’t appreciate the negativity. I am not a regular FTer. I was able to avail the knowledge and resources for my Mini RTW a few years ago, and was anticipating the same support from the community this time around.

Thank you for all of you that were able to provide some constructive feedback and guidance. If it’s not too much trouble, if someone can point me in the direction of a professional, it would be appreciated.

^
Of course - however, there is a difference between

"is it appropriate to ask for help for this"

and asking "can someone please do this" and some people responding with "no, that's too much to ask for". That's not negativity, that's just facts. I hope you understand the difference between asking for advice and asking for everything from start to finish planned out with vague instructions - I'm not trying to be snarky, just trying to tell you why your request was somewhat inappropriate.

We will gladly give tips on which specific hard/soft products are good, which routings have little/a lot of availability and are possible, etc.

Looking up availability for an entire month at a time for an easily-searchable routing isn't the same thing.

as for your other question: Award booking services - a list and some reviews
ChrisA330, Happy and 1Newflyer like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Of course - however, there is a difference between

"is it appropriate to ask for help for this"

and asking "can someone please do this" and some people responding with "no, that's too much to ask for". That's not negativity, that's just facts. I hope you understand the difference between asking for advice and asking for everything from start to finish planned out with vague instructions - I'm not trying to be snarky, just trying to tell you why your request was somewhat inappropriate.

We will gladly give tips on which specific hard/soft products are good, which routings have little/a lot of availability and are possible, etc.

Looking up availability for an entire month at a time for an easily-searchable routing isn't the same thing.

as for your other question: Award booking services - a list and some reviews
https://old.reddit.com/r/CanadianAwa..._service_cost/

I'll also add that not coming across as entitled would help a lot. Aeroplan.com is not a hard website to use. Show that you've done some leg work, and everyone will be happy to suggest improvements to your itinerary or help you connect some dots.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by ibby
Hey everyone,

^
You are grateful for assistance, sorry for your demanding nature and then you spoil it all by criticizing posters for pointing out the obvious. That is not cool.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Just browsing / thinking about my next mini-RTW...

Anyone ever creatively incorporated FAE?
I presume it has to be the destination of the itinerary since the only Star Alliance flights are to / from CPH?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
You are grateful for assistance, sorry for your demanding nature and then you spoil it all by criticizing posters for pointing out the obvious. That is not cool.
Once again, thanks for all your feedback and apologies if I came across as offensive in any way!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Just browsing / thinking about my next mini-RTW...

Anyone ever creatively incorporated FAE?
I presume it has to be the destination of the itinerary since the only Star Alliance flights are to / from CPH?
You're right. It has to be the point of turnaround (POT) because if it were a stopover, you'd have to use CPH to get in/out and you can't connect to that city twice on either side of a POT.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:46 pm

Does anyone know if I can fly into HND but fly out of NRT and it doesnt count as open-jaw, just as a "STOP" ?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aleks77
Does anyone know if I can fly into HND but fly out of NRT and it doesnt count as open-jaw, just as a "STOP" ?
For the most part, airports that share a city-code are considered co-terminals and you can treat them as such, e.g. any layover <24hrs is just that and not considered a stop.

Just make sure you allow for enough time because they're quite far from each other... I'd say at least 4 hours or so.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:51 pm

For the most part, airports that share a city-code are considered co-terminals and you can treat them as such, e.g. any layover <24hrs is just that and not considered a stop.

Just make sure you allow for enough time because they're quite far from each other... I'd say at least 4 hours or so.
Sorry I didnt explain my situation clearly, i want to fly into HND from YVR and stay for 10 days and then fly out of NRT on the way to ADD. Will my Japan part of the trip count as a stop or an open-jaw?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry I didnt explain my situation clearly, i want to fly into HND from YVR and stay for 10 days and then fly out of NRT on the way to ADD. Will my Japan part of the trip count as a stop or an open-jaw?
gotcha - that's gonna be just a stopover, not an open-jaw. Same logic with them being co-terminals applies!
aleks77 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:20 am

gotcha - that's gonna be just a stopover, not an open-jaw. Same logic with them being co-terminals applies!
Thats awesome! Wish i knew this earlier!

Are there many other cities that have these co-terminals?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Thats awesome! Wish i knew this earlier!

Are there many other cities that have these co-terminals?
There are plenty of co-terminals, though AE doesn't recognize all of them.

For the most part, co-terminals fall into two categories:

1) cities/regions with multiple airports
2) cities that, at least historically, had/have an int'l airport and an airport primarily used for domestic/regional flights

Some of the more useful ones:

YYZ/YTZ
EWR/JFK/LGA
IAD/DCA
LHR/LGW/LCY/STN/LTN
CDG/ORY
IST/SAW
NRT/HND
KIX/ITM
PVG/SHA
TPE/TSA
BKK/DMK

There are various other airports in the US that some, but not all airlines consider co-terminals, such as LAX/ONT, SFO/SJC, MIA/PBI.
aleks77 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
There are plenty of co-terminals, though AE doesn't recognize all of them.

For the most part, co-terminals fall into two categories:

1) cities/regions with multiple airports
2) cities that, at least historically, had/have an int'l airport and an airport primarily used for domestic/regional flights

Some of the more useful ones:

YYZ/YTZ
EWR/JFK/LGA
IAD/DCA
LHR/LGW/LCY/STN/LTN
CDG/ORY
IST/SAW
NRT/HND
KIX/ITM
PVG/SHA
TPE/TSA
BKK/DMK

There are various other airports in the US that some, but not all airlines consider co-terminals, such as LAX/ONT, SFO/SJC, MIA/PBI.
I will add that it's also very common for co-terminals airports to share a city code (that you can find on google flights e.g.)

E.g. JFK/EWR/LGA share NYC
NRT/HND share TYO
and to add to the list above, a common one is also
ICN/GMP share SEL
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, FlyingBlue
I will add that it's also very common for co-terminals airports to share a city code (that you can find on google flights e.g.)

E.g. JFK/EWR/LGA share NYC
NRT/HND share TYO
and to add to the list above, a common one is also
ICN/GMP share SEL
I will also add that if you're trying to max segments with a 16-segment itinerary, transfers between airports do count as a segment, even if it doesn't affect your stopover/open jaw rules. So if you're co-terminaling between HND and NRT, your max segments becomes 15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.