Mini RTW Questions

Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
It seems to be very difficult to get into these smaller places that are not well served by star alliance.

In fact, I believe Thai air only goes as far as Manila. Suggest you may wish to consider an Asia 1 ticket to BKK/SIN with a paid add on with Philippine Airlines For an extra $400 to get you to whee you need to finish

Reward Availability on TG is usually excellent.
CebuPacific flies from SIN to CEB nonstop - should not cost more than $200 RT all in including luggage. Promo fares may be lower.

I also dont think its worth spending extra miles/surcharge for Asia2 vs Asia1 in this case.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:34 pm

I have a mini-RTW at the old 120k level.
Travel must be initiated by end Jan to be vaild.

I have a work trip from YYZ-SFO so will start there and find my way back.

I cant seem to find any F class (with the exception of a little bit of avail on OZ) from SFO-ASIA-EUROPE-YYZ for Oct/NOv 2012.

Any idea why? Have TG, NH, LX and LH just really tightened up on F or are they just not released yet?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:34 am

I have a trip booked:
YYZ-BOS-ZRH-BKK (open-jaw) SYD-SFO-YYZ

I called in to ask if I could add a BKK-BNE segment, making this:
YYZ-BOS-ZRH-BKK (stop) BKK-BNE (open-jaw) SYD-SFO-YYZ

Was told that this would put me over MPM, and that there were no published fares by that routing. Can anyone help me understand what MPM applies? I'm a bit confused as to what my point of turnaround is even considered.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by skofz
I have a trip booked:
YYZ-BOS-ZRH-BKK (open-jaw) SYD-SFO-YYZ

I called in to ask if I could add a BKK-BNE segment, making this:
YYZ-BOS-ZRH-BKK (stop) BKK-BNE (open-jaw) SYD-SFO-YYZ

Was told that this would put me over MPM, and that there were no published fares by that routing. Can anyone help me understand what MPM applies? I'm a bit confused as to what my point of turnaround is even considered.
MPM = maximum permitted mileage, meaning the longest route you can tale between your origin and point of turnaround. Since your point of turnaround would be SYD, you need to check the MPM for YYZ-SYD. AP allows MPM+5%.

[KVS Availability Tool 6.8.1/Diamond - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: YYZ-SYD]
Code:

GI       M      5M     10M     15M     20M     25M     
MPM      PA   11598   12177   12757   13337   13917   14497
Therefore your routing to SYD must be over the Pacific only and not more than 12,177 miles. Use the Great Circle Mapper to find approximate mileage between cities. http://www.gcmap.com/
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by guessaaa
Therefore your routing to SYD must be over the Pacific only and not more than 12,177 miles. Use the Great Circle Mapper to find approximate mileage between cities. http://www.gcmap.com/
Hmm... I'm not following why this must be over Pacific. I'm already flying to BKK via Atlantic. Shouldn't I be considering the YYZ-SYD MPM via AT?

YYZ-BOS-ZRH-BKK = 9823 mi
YYZ-BOS-ZRH-BKK-BNE = 14329 mi
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:41 am

But there are also published routings..........I believe must be via SIN (and not BKK via Europe)

Hmm... I'm not following why this must be over Pacific. I'm already flying to BKK via Atlantic. Shouldn't I be considering the YYZ-SYD MPM via AT?

Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by rankourabu
CebuPacific flies from SIN to CEB nonstop - should not cost more than $200 RT all in including luggage. Promo fares may be lower.

I also dont think its worth spending extra miles/surcharge for Asia2 vs Asia1 in this case.
Thanks. This idea occurred to me too shortly after I posted. I also noticed CebuPacific goes nonstop from Hong Kong so I'm leaning towards that as a stopover instead of Singapore as I think I'd rather spend a day or two there - but I haven't researched it much yet.

It's only 5k more in J for Asia 2, but the flights don't seem to work so this is a better option. That's if I decide on this itinerary.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Been a silent member for several years finally booked my mini RTW trip during the upgrade to business bonus:

2 Passangers @ 75K each / Business Class Taxes about $400 or less

YXE - LIS
(VIA DEN, EWR)

LIS - BKK
(VIA FRA)

BKK - BOI
(VIA ICN, SFO) 24 Hr stop in ICN)

BOI - YXE
(VIA DEN)

I have a 332 from EWR - LIS, 744 from FRA to BKK.

How did I do? My first big redemption.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:30 pm

Because if you want Australia via AT, it would be a full RTW ticket, ie need way more miles... over 100k for Y. Asia 1/2 have MPM via PA and AT from NA, but Australia, New Zealand & South Pacific have MPM only via PA from NA.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Because if you want Australia via AT, it would be a full RTW ticket, ie need way more miles... over 100k for Y. Asia 1/2 have MPM via PA and AT from NA, but Australia, New Zealand & South Pacific have MPM only via PA from NA.
Hmm - I didn't know that but that makes perfect sense, thinking about it. Thanks for that info!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:58 pm

Then explain to me why several of us managed to get Mini RTWs between Canada-Australia and New Zealand via Atlantic/Pacific
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Then explain to me why several of us managed to get Mini RTWs between Canada-Australia and New Zealand via Atlantic/Pacific
Just relaying what I was told by two different agents on two separate days in two separate locations trying to get to SYD or PER via PA and AT, agreeing at first, then saying it wont work after 10 min on hold after speaking to ticketing.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Here is your reason - Agents are consistently inconsistent.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:42 am

you know Atlantic routings via Singapore to Australia is permitted under SQ published routings right?

Its either MPM or Published routing, whichever is more beneficial to you.

Dont believe, give it a try........ If they question you about MPM, rebound by telling them its a published routing

Last edited by global happy traveller; Jan 15, 2012 at 9:50 am
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:15 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by llbean

Any idea why? Have TG, NH, LX and LH just really tightened up on F or are they just not released yet?
When I was looking over the Christmas Holidays of 2011 to adjust my reservation for Nov 2012, this is what I found:

TG - No problem finding seats. TG Forum says that there have been difficulties locating inventory after Nov 1, 2012.

LX - 2 seats were loaded at the 300 day mark for Europe - Asia and Europe - Montreal. Nothing Europe - Americas.

LH - Nothing released to Star Award inventory until 21 days before flight Europe - Americas.

UA - Lots of availability.

NH - did not check but my understanding is that it is only released on short notice. NRT-ORD seems common.

Again, this was my experience in Dec 2011, this may change on a whim without notice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.