Mini RTW Questions

Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: StarAlliance (Aeroplan)
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Despite UA's seats being very good, service is substandard, to be diplomatic.

I just stumbled on this Flight Report about AA First:

http://www.sitinfirst.com/2012/02/to...arita-express/

"Scary"

Last edited by InsaneTravel; Apr 18, 2012 at 8:13 am Reason: Made a correction it was AA, not UA
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Since when is AC EXECUTIVE FIRST a FIRST class product.

It shouldnt even be included in the list.
Since the same time that Hospitality class is hospitable, clearly!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Sure wasn't a good experience - but it was with AA not UA as I read it.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: StarAlliance (Aeroplan)
Originally Posted by ciana
Sure wasn't a good experience - but it was with AA not UA as I read it.
Thanks Ciana, I made the correction to my post, it was AA.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by InsaneTravel
I just stumbled on this Flight Report about AA First:

http://www.sitinfirst.com/2012/02/to...arita-express/

"Scary"
Hahaha. I just read that. Wow
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:05 pm

Need some help, this has been driving me nuts so far, trying to plan this.

Would this be valid?

YWG-YUL-ZRH(stop)-IST(stop)-ICN OR NRT (turn around)

NRT(ICN)-AKL(stop)-LAX-YVR-YWG

Do I need to insert a FRA stopover between ZRH and IST?

Basically, we need to end up in AKL, and we don't plan on taking the rest of the trip back - we'll finish it a different way. That's the plan at the moment.

Looking for advice here, thank you in advance.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by tbuff

Looking for advice here, thank you in advance.
Not a chance - its difficult with AE points to go to AKL via anything but direct AKL-SFO/LAX-YVR flights. You will not be able to go to AKL via Europe and/or NRT.

Your turnaround is also AKL, furthest point, and the mileage associated with that.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I am just starting to formulate plans for a 2nd mini-rtw, but this time hobbled by the various YQ charges. This trip will be for 2 in J, and the the primary destination will be Japan. Mrs mapleg will be joining me and it would be her first mini rtw.

Initial thoughts are Canada-Europe-SE Asia-Japan-Canada. I know which airlines I can use to avoid SQ, and I think so far I want to exclude TK from the possibilities, and SQ is hard to get when you are not looking at last minute flights.

One thought so far is say US to Europe, LX to HKG , BKK or PVG, then on to Japan and UA KIX-SFO-YYZ for the return trip. We both have Nexus so US transit is ok.

Seems to me that US air has some reasonable business class service to Europe (I think called Envoy class?) which looks similar to AC. Anyone have any experience on those?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Can I just ask why you want to avoid TK? I have had a couple of good experiences with them and I have another flight booked on a mini-rtw later this year. Have there been issues recently with them?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
Can I just ask why you want to avoid TK? I have had a couple of good experiences with them and I have another flight booked on a mini-rtw later this year. Have there been issues recently with them?
Seem to have read a few negatives recently...can't remember the exact thread, but one was about an award ticket where their reservation went missing in action, and another about a lot of delays and generally poor service.

Oh well, let's face it, a lot of it comes down to flight availability so we will see....
Old Apr 29, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mapleg
Seem to have read a few negatives recently...can't remember the exact thread, but one was about an award ticket where their reservation went missing in action, and another about a lot of delays and generally poor service.

Oh well, let's face it, a lot of it comes down to flight availability so we will see....

Funny, because I read the same thread about (insert airline here). People go to the internet to complain.

In my limited (7 J flights and 2 PE flights) experience, service on TK is good, certainly better than AC, as is the food. The flat 777s are excellent. Lounge in Istanbul makes the MLL look like a dirty back alley.

Best of all, TK is scamcharge free on Aeroplan rewards!
Old Apr 29, 2012, 6:45 pm

Funny, because I read the same thread about (insert airline here). People go to the internet to complain.

In my limited (7 J flights and 2 PE flights) experience, service on TK is good, certainly better than AC, as is the food. The flat 777s are excellent. Lounge in Istanbul makes the MLL look like a dirty back alley.

Best of all, TK is scamcharge free on Aeroplan rewards!
Thanks for the advice. Will keep it in mind, and obviously agree with the scamcharge part of it. But it's not between AC and TK that I am deciding, but between LX and TK.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:35 pm

Not a chance - its difficult with AE points to go to AKL via anything but direct AKL-SFO/LAX-YVR flights. You will not be able to go to AKL via Europe and/or NRT.

Your turnaround is also AKL, furthest point, and the mileage associated with that.
Thank you for your help. I understand now!

If we just stop in NRT/ICN would that be valid then?

NRT(ICN)-LAX-YVR-YWG (or something of the sort to complete the trip)

Last edited by tbuff; Apr 29, 2012 at 7:43 pm
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tbuff
Thank you for your help. I understand now!

If we just stop in NRT/ICN would that be valid then?

NRT(ICN)-YVR-YWG
This is good, but you may wanna do NRT-ORD/SFO/SEA/LAX-YWG on UA - this will save you hundreds of dollars in scamcharges™ over NRT-YVR. Also if you do IST-ICN on TK instead of OZ, you will save on scamcharges™.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:58 pm

This is good, but you may wanna do NRT-ORD/SFO/SEA/LAX-YWG on UA - this will save you hundreds of dollars in scamcharges™ over NRT-YVR. Also if you do IST-ICN on TK instead of OZ, you will save on scamcharges™.
Perfect. We'll go NRT-ORD-YWG.

Plan is then YWG-YUL AC
YUL-ZRH LH
ZRH-IST TK
IST-ICN TK

NRT-ORD UA
ORD-YWG AC

EDIT: I see the mileage is 125k for business, 75k economy.

Actually I just thought of something. If we don't get on the NRT-ORD flight, would that invalidate/cancel the ORD-YWG flight as well? since we plan on not getting on the NRT flight that would be pretty important.

Last edited by tbuff; Apr 29, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.