Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Primier Gold, DL nada, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum
Nairobi Int. Airport [Terminal 1 Intl arrivals] just burned down

@ roadwarrier small world-we were way in th back on the flight out of kigali and last through the visa free for all. But had no luggage to claim so skipped that mess. Didn't even think to try to find a lounge at 5am on our Ethiopian award ticket on the way out of town-sounds like we may have missed out on some samosas
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:56 am

Has anyone gone through NBO in the last 4 weeks? I have an 18 hour layover in NBO next month, and I was wondering if the lounges were intact and accessible. Thanks.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: Delta - Diamond, Starwood - Gold, Marriott - Gold
I was in NBO 2 weeks ago and the Skyteam accessible lounge was under construction. Hopefully by now it should have re-opened.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM, AA, BA, National Emerald
Originally Posted by shdodhia
I was in NBO 2 weeks ago and the Skyteam accessible lounge was under construction. Hopefully by now it should have re-opened.
Are they working on reopening the same one or opening a new one at a different location?

Have a layover in a week.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Update: arrived in NBO last week from ZRH. Bussed to fenced-off area, then on to immigration in what looked like a parking house. Very smooth: immigration officers at the booths, fingerprint scanners, camera's working. Then on the baggage claim where our luggage arrived within minutes. Past customs and we where out of the airport in less than 30 minutes from touching down. I think the domestic terminal was used. Overall a very smooth experience. I flew out from MBA, so no report on the outbound experience.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
International departures terminal now has functional gates from 4 to 14. A small business lounge is available to "Kenyan Airways Business Class passengers only". Another lounge across the hall from this lounge is "closed for renovation". So passengers flying on other airlines' premium cabin are out of luck. This includes quite a few airlines - BA, LX, Qatar, Emirates, Etihad, SAA, Turkish and a few more. I don't know if KLM premium class passenger have access to the Kenyan Airways lounge as a fellow SkyTeam airline.

There is a restaurant open by gate 14 that serves decent food at reasonable prices. A small café is located close to gate 4-5 and has a few small sit down tables. There are many souvenir shops open with overpriced items that also sell beverages and snacks. Two currency exchange offices are open and one Barclays ATM. There are a few TVs scattered around waiting areas. Electric outlets are somewhat scarce but available.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:47 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Too add to Time Travellers comments, was also through NBO on Nov 26.

The LX / TK / ET / MS contract lounge "closed for renovation" is permanently closed.

LX was very apologetic that they did not have a lounge to offer passengers.

Kenya Airways Sky Team Lounge is operating, although not for Star Alliance customers on a contract basis.

Some gates being used with jetways, some to bus positions.

The arrivals hall is in a converted parking garage with temporary baggage belts.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
I was in Transit yesterday evening and found the Business Class Lounge. It is near Gate 6 - used to be that horrid lounge that was used by *A. It has been given a lick of paint, some furniture and a makeshift bar and snack station.

But, it was as crowded as all hell. I stood to one side, had a drink and left - too clausterphobic for me.
I will Transit again early Saturday morning and I shudder to think what it will be like with all the morning departures.......
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
But, it was as crowded as all hell.
I sometimes wonder whether passengers visit lounges against better judgment. Being entitled to access is no reason to subject yourself to the discomfort of overcrowding, and surely edible food is better than junkfood which happens to be "free".

Johan
Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL-DM / 2MM, Marriott Titanium, Hertz-Presidents Circle
recent Nairobi transit?

Will be flying through NBO on Thursday. Has anyone had any recent experience clearing customs and immigration in the recent days? And, has anything improved since the postings of late November from Time Traveler or Ghentleman??
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:33 am

Transferring from Domestic to International terminal at NBO

Hi all,
We are flying from Mombasa to JKIA ( Kenya Airways , Economy) to transfer to the 2350 BA flight in CW to LHR tomorrow. I have three quick questions for anyone who might be able to help.

Should we try to get the agent to check our bags through to London at MBA. These are two different tickets and airlines but I hear Kenya Airways and BA have an interline baggage agreement . Would this save us time at JKIA?

Secondly, what is the transfer procedure, post fire at JKIA from domestic arrival to international departures ?

Lastly, are there any lounges open at JKIA?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Definitely get the bags checked through!!!!
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Ditto on getting the bags checked through.

Regarding Lounges, I went through NBO a few weeks ago, and only KQ had a Lounge for Business Class pax - there were no other Lounges available at the time.
Maybe check on the BA website if they have an answer for you.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: LH FTL
Thumbs down Claiming delayed luggage at Nairobi (NBO, JKIA): A five step programme

I went through quite some ordeal today to get my delayed suitcase at Nairobi International Airport. The day before I flew from FRA to NBO via CAI with Egypt Air as the operator to NBO. Now Egypt Air doesn't deliver delayed luggage at NBO. The passenger has to go and pick it up.

This is what you have to do after you confirmed that your luggage is at the airport:
1. go to the security office in the old - now closed - international arrival building, show the claim form and exchange your passport for a JKIA- baggage area pass. The office is - when you are looking at the building - on the left hand side.

2. Go to the new improvised international Arrivals terminal (5 mins walk, sidewalk mostly absent) and enter the building through a small unmarked door next to the VIP/Diplomatic parking area. Pass security there.

3. Go to the baggage claim counter that you filed your missing luggage report with and have them find your baggage. They may also ask you to find the luggage yourself in a room with dozens of delayed suitcases.

4. Leave the building 'the normal way' through customs. Hopefully pass customs without stupid questions for you passport, which is at the security office.

5. Exchange you Baggage area pass for you passport at the security office.

If you know what to do and nobody is in line at the security office, back door terminal entrance, baggage claim counter and customs you can do all this in half an hour. As I had no idea what I was doing, it took me way longer.

Keep smiling....
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:47 pm

Overnight near NBO

I am landing in NBO this August at 1:20 am and will be heading off to Amboseli the following morning at 530 AM. This gives me about 3 hours I would say to freshen up and rest.

What are my options in terms of places to stay? I don't want to go that far out of the way from the NBO road towards Amboseli and I also don't want to break the bank as I will be there fir so short. I will be by myself and I don't do the whole hostel thing. Anything clean and simple would be suffice.

Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.