Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, Delta Amex Reserve
I'm glad no one was hurt, but I'm also glad my trip to Nairobi was last month.
The airport and the whole international operation out there was not great. Hopefully they will be able to improve everything now that they essentially need to start over.

It's always crazy to see something like this and know I was just there.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by JDiver
BBC says some international arrivals are being allowed into NBO; others had been diverted to Mombasa / MBA and Edloret / EDL. Eldoret! Nearly 300 km from Nairobi, in the SW corner of the country.
Heck, early on, there were reports of diversions to Entebbe, Uganda.

I've been through Eldoret a couple times and didn't even know they had an airport there. It's a couple thousand feet higher than NBO, and the runway's a couple thousand feet shorter, but... I guess it'd work in a pinch.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Associated Press:

NAIROBI, Kenya — Officials in Kenya investigating the massive airport fire that gutted the arrival hall at Nairobi’s main airport said Thursday that first responders looted electronics, a bank and an ATM during and after the blaze.

The officials said first responders stole electronics and money from an ATM. Another official said that police guarding the site overnight attempted to a take a safe from a bank in the burned-out arrivals hall, which also houses several foreign currency exchange shops.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eldoret! Nearly 300 km from Nairobi, in the SW corner of the country.
Which still leaves about half of Kenya south of the place!

Johan
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Associated Press:

NAIROBI, Kenya — Officials in Kenya investigating the massive airport fire that gutted the arrival hall at Nairobi’s main airport said Thursday that first responders looted electronics, a bank and an ATM during and after the blaze.

The officials said first responders stole electronics and money from an ATM. Another official said that police guarding the site overnight attempted to a take a safe from a bank in the burned-out arrivals hall, which also houses several foreign currency exchange shops.
And if you have the misfortune of being transported to hospital by ambulance in Kenya, you may or may not arrive alive, but definitely without your wallet or anything else of value.

Johan
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: Qatar Plat
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Associated Press:

The duty free shops in Nairobi Airport are operated by a cartel. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an inside job in retaliation from actions a few weeks ago where the authorities forcefully closed several of the shops.

" It was also in the news last week when several duty free shops were forcefully re-possessed by the Kenya Airports Authority (KAA) in the early hours of Thursday, following the expiry of a lease agreement.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/fire-engulfs-kenya-nairobi-airport-article-1.1419763#ixzz2bUErLeKG"
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by johan rebel
And if you have the misfortune of being transported to hospital by ambulance in Kenya, you may or may not arrive alive, but definitely without your wallet or anything else of value.
Are you sure? Or is this just another of your assumptions?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Nairobi can be quite dodgy - even between the National Museum and the Boulevard (or Norfolk for those who stay in more upscale surroundings) using Harry Thuku Rd, at or after dusk, it's not so much a matter of IF you will get intercepted and mugged as much as where.

and in this instance, the follow-up from the BBC says, in part:

Police officers and airport workers are being questioned over suspected acts of looting during this week's fire at an airport in Kenya's capital, Nairobi...

Seven police officers, including an inspector, are being questioned over suspected looting.

One investigator told Agence France-Presse: "It is embarrassing because some of them concentrated on looting instead of raising alarms.

"We're questioning all of them. Police officers, immigration staff, civilians who work in other areas and even taxi drivers."
As much as I love Kenya - and I've travelled it quite a bit by everything from rental to you name it - mimi ni hivyo pole (I am so sorry), but the corruption is palpable.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:12 am

That's why they call it Nairobbery.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Nairobi can be quite dodgy - even between the National Museum and the Boulevard (or Norfolk for those who stay in more upscale surroundings) using Harry Thuku Rd, at or after dusk, it's not so much a matter of IF you will get intercepted and mugged as much as where.
I don't see the link between airport looting and the "inevitability" of being mugged in the city. Nairobi is much safer than a lot of other big African cities. Lots of fear mongering going on in this thread.

Have you been mugged in Nairobi?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Some years ago was walking across the road opposite the Hilton and my friend had her (intimation) gold earrings were ripped from her. A few days later some kids tried to take my watch off my arm (and failed)
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:14 am
Suspended

How many years ago? What time of day?
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:36 am

Programs: LOTS
Moving on, I've just spoken to BA in the UK & they kindly phoned NBO. The airport is functioning well again & happily the BA Lounge is back in operation.

PS I've been visiting Nairobi since 1972 & I've never been mugged nor threatened. Love the country & love the people.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Austinrunner

I know an expat who was carjacked and murdered while going home in Spring Valley.

There was that infamous case of the Venezuelan diplomat murdered in her own home by disgruntled staff.

Many Kenyans I worked with while there were robbed by thugs on buses at gun point.

We had another expat who had a home invasion in Lavington (happened about a year ago), family tied up for several hours, no help. cash and jewelery stolen, plus debit card. The women and girls were lucky they weren't raped. They were released and evacuated out of the country.

Living in Lavington, I frequently heard machine gun fire in the night coming from the nearby slums such as Kawangware.

Nairobi is a dangerous place. Our home had an electric fence, G4 security guard, safe room, sensors, and panic button. But not much you can do if they come at you with guns.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by fincastle84
Moving on, I've just spoken to BA in the UK & they kindly phoned NBO. The airport is functioning well again & happily the BA Lounge is back in operation.

PS I've been visiting Nairobi since 1972 & I've never been mugged nor threatened. Love the country & love the people.
This is good to know. Do you know if all the international flights are back to 100% capacity now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.