Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: LH FTL
I wouldn't bother so much about distance from the road, if you are actually leaving Nairobi at 5:30 am. Then traffic should be ok and a ride from the city center to the airport is less than 30 mins. For really cheap places I don't have suggestions, but I'd be a little careful booking a very cheap place.
If you want to get more rest and safe time at immigration get you visa before you fly to Kenya. The visa on arrival line can be very very slow.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:20 pm

Thanks for the tips regarding the visa. Can the lines be long at that hour?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by awardticket
When I was there, there were only 2 people processing visa's, so if there are 20 people from your plane getting visa's, it could take up to an hour.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:10 am

Yes, they can. At that time there is the ET flight coming in from ADD, which often has quite a number of people that need visa on arrival. Also immigration is usually not well staffed at night and not very speedy.

Sometimes they will ask for yellow fever vaccination certificates depending on you country of departure and connecting points.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by jannis
Yes, they can. At that time there is the ET flight coming in from ADD, which often has quite a number of people that need visa on arrival. Also immigration is usually not well staffed at night and not very speedy.

Sometimes they will ask for yellow fever vaccination certificates depending on you country of departure and connecting points.
Funny that you mention the ET flight. That's actually what I am coming in on. I am going to be touring Ethiopia for a week followed by 10 days of safari in Kenya. I need the YF vaccine due to that stop. I do plan on getting it.

Does getting the visa in advance lower the risk they will ask for YF vaccine? Reason I ask is that my wife and another couple are skipping the Ethiopia part however they are transiting in ADD however only for 3 hours and not leaving the airport. I am worried they may run into trouble regarding the vaccine.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:11 am

Does getting the visa in advance lower the risk they will ask for YF vaccine? Reason I ask is that my wife and another couple are skipping the Ethiopia part however they are transiting in ADD however only for 3 hours and not leaving the airport. I am worried they may run into trouble regarding the vaccine.
If they remain in transit for less than 12 hrs WHO says they don't need YF vaccination in terms of being a health risk to Kenya as YF transmission is extremely unlikely.
HOWEVER, many international scientific societies recommend YF vaccinations for travellers in Kenya including WHO.

WHO recommendations and 12 hrs statement

I had a couple of friends arriving over the last year exactly on that flight with some hours of transit time at ADD and they all made it without being forced to get the vaccine. But some had to discuss with the agents.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:37 pm

If they remain in transit for less than 12 hrs WHO says they don't need YF vaccination in terms of being a health risk to Kenya as YF transmission is extremely unlikely.
HOWEVER, many international scientific societies recommend YF vaccinations for travellers in Kenya including WHO.

WHO recommendations and 12 hrs statement

I had a couple of friends arriving over the last year exactly on that flight with some hours of transit time at ADD and they all made it without being forced to get the vaccine. But some had to discuss with the agents.
If you don't get the vaccine prior all they will do is give it you there? I though the risk was getting turned back. I would be really concerned about the needle being sterile and all though.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:58 pm

If you don't get the vaccine prior all they will do is give it you there? I though the risk was getting turned back. I would be really concerned about the needle being sterile and all though.
They always can choose to go back, if they don't want a vaccination (or maybe talk their way out of it).
I wouldn't be so worried about the needles. Kenya may be poor country, but sterile needles are certainly available.
Your wife/friends are not formally required to get the vaccination just because they transit in ADD.
If you are worried about infections in Kenya, why not get a vaccination that is recommended and effective in preventing one of the more troublesome infections?

CDC Map Yellow Fever vaccination Africa

Last edited by jannis; Feb 27, 2014 at 1:07 pm Reason: added link
Old Feb 27, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: Qatar Plat
Uh, best advice is to visit a travel clinic in your home country and get ALL vaccines advised for your trip. Yellow fever, Tetanus-Diphtheria, Measles, Hepatitis B, Polio ect...

Also put together a Med-kit, including emergency anti-biotics, diarrhea meds, and a course of malarial treatments if you come down with a severe case. Also good to carry your own sterile needle for emergencies, then you don't have to worry about it.

As for staying somewhere, at that time of night it would be safest/cheapest to just stay in the airport, perhaps the coffee shop.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:33 pm

I certainly plan to get the vaccine as I will be a week in the Omo valley. I just don't feel like making my wife get it for such short time in the game reserve of the Masai Mara when it doesn't seem like it's really needed. The vaccine will cost us minimum 150 USD a person here in the US.

Is the coffee shop even open all night? Are there any lounges that I could perhaps pay to stay in at the airport? It's such a short amount of time but a little shut eye would be ideal.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:43 pm

The vaccine will cost us minimum 150 USD a person here in the US.

Is the coffee shop even open all night? Are there any lounges that I could perhaps pay to stay in at the airport? It's such a short amount of time but a little shut eye would be ideal.
As far as I remember staying in the Mara costs you also at least 150 US$ per day (park fees ~75 USD$, lodge minimum 75 US$ per person)

I am not aware that there are any lounges at the arrival terminal at NBO currently.
Even at the departure terminal the situation went from bad to worse in terms of lounges since the fire last year at JKIA. I don't expect that this will change a great deal until August.

A couple of weeks ago there was an attempted bombing at one of the land-side cafes at NBO Jomo Kenyatta Airport (JKIA). Security has been tightened since, however I don't know if I'd stay in the airport longer than necessary.

Last edited by jannis; Feb 27, 2014 at 10:45 pm Reason: spelling out abbreviation
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:53 pm

As far as I remember staying in the Mara costs you also at least 150 US$ per day (park fees ~75 USD$, lodge minimum 75 US$ per person)

I am not aware that there are any lounges at the arrival terminal at NBO currently.
Even at the departure terminal the situation went from bad to worse in terms of lounges since the fire last year at JKIA. I don't expect that this will change a great deal until August.

A couple of weeks ago there was an attempted bombing at one of the land-side cafes at NBO Jomo Kenyatta Airport (JKIA). Security has been tightened since, however I don't know if I'd stay in the airport longer than necessary.
Staying in the Mara is expensive as well, point taken Wow scary stuff with the airport and all I am not into staying there any longer than I must. Wow I am glad you tipped me off about this.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good thing about Yellow Fever vaccine is it is good for ten years. I'd rather have it on my yellow card than not have it, show up somewhere and have an argument with a health officer or get a pinch on the spot.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: DL
THANKS
Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Good thing about Yellow Fever vaccine is it is good for ten years. I'd rather have it on my yellow card than not have it, show up somewhere and have an argument with a health officer or get a pinch on the spot.
And soon it will be valid for a lifetime according to WHO!
WHO Statement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.