Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NBO / Nairobi Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: EK, Shebamiles, BAEC
Does any airline deliver in Nairobi? I've had delayed luggage before and always have to go and pick up my bags from the airport.

But it sounds especially awful with the changes to the airport now.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by jannis
As far as I remember staying in the Mara costs you also at least 150 US$ per day (park fees ~75 USD$, lodge minimum 75 US$ per person)

I am not aware that there are any lounges at the arrival terminal at NBO currently.
Even at the departure terminal the situation went from bad to worse in terms of lounges since the fire last year at JKIA. I don't expect that this will change a great deal until August.

A couple of weeks ago there was an attempted bombing at one of the land-side cafes at NBO Jomo Kenyatta Airport (JKIA). Security has been tightened since, however I don't know if I'd stay in the airport longer than necessary.
Just came in through NBO on Saturday (in country now) and there is almost nothing at the airport right now because of last years fire. the International arrivals area is mostly an old metal hall area that has some open area shops in front of the immigrations/ custom exit point. It is super bare bones so you will want to get to somewhere. I am not familiar enough at all to tell you where to get to.
I am flying out this coming Saturday night and had posted in the this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...ss-lounge.html
in the Swiss Air forum about NBO Swiss Air Lounge status (there isn't one) and one reply in that thread for how to spend a few hours before I leave (flight is midnight) was to have my driver take me to a restaurant that is convenient.
Originally Posted by hilltopper
In Jan they had no lounge, not even for F pax. I think the only lounge is KQ and being really small they restrict access to their passengers (was there last month and it is really drab anyway). I suggest you have a drink and snack/dinner at Ole Sereni and then get a short ride to the airport 2hrs before the flight.
So am headed to Ole Sereni for a dinner before the airport flight out Saturday night.
Read that thread for more comments on status of airport.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jannis
I am not aware that there are any lounges at the arrival terminal at NBO currently.
I was going to say the great thing about NBO is that arrivals go through the departure terminal to reach immigration, so you could have used one of the First class lounges, which accept Priority Pass which is free with the right type of American Express card. However as others have noted, the fire has changed things at NBO and I don't know what the current status is with lounges.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM
If you are at NBO for three hours, I wouldn't leave the airport; that is silly. There aren't any "freshen up" places close by. No airport hotels either. So, stay at the airport, bring a dry hand towel, and take a quick towel bath in one of the airport bathrooms.

BTW: I just returned from NBO a few days ago. The only lounge is in the departure zone. ALL international flights require that you pass through customs at the (new) parking ramp that is now the arrival checkpoint. Then, you will need to walk a little bit to re-enter the departure zone AND pass through security as though you were a new passenger. Indeed, make sure you have your transit visa (which you can get prior to leaving your country) and then head directly to your departure airline terminal. In the last 15 trips to Kenya, I have never had to show an immunization card, but I keep it with me just in case.

BTW: When you disembark at NBO, there are no jetways. You need to board a bus for a long ride to the customs area. Make sure you get near the left side doors of the bus as they open at the customs hall and you can rush to the "other passports" (non-VISA) line. If you check luggage, don't rush. It takes a long time to get luggage at NBO even if you are Sky Priority.

Best of luck!

Last edited by advancepsy; Apr 25, 2014 at 7:27 am Reason: Update
Old May 4, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: DL
We downloaded form 22 from the Kenya embassy Canadian visa sight, and filled them out at home. We were 2nd in line to get our visas, as no one else had the form filled out. We were thru the visa desk in 5 minutes for the 2 of us. Also, if you are travelling with your spouse, they only take fingerprints from one of you. The cost was $50 used each, and the agent gave us each a receipt.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
If you are in transit through Nairobi, there is a separate bus that takes you to the departure lounges. There is no need to get a transit visa, etc.

The airline lounges / first class lounge still do not exist. Only Kenya Airways has one for their Business Class passengers (no Gold / Platinum) and Skyteam Business class passengers.

In regards to the fingerprints, they usually take fingerprints from all passengers. Odd that they only took prints from one of you.
Old May 6, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
There aren't ANY lounges upon arrival at NBO. The jet bridges are non-functional right now, thus, deplaning is accomplished by a jet staircase. Then, you take a bus to the arrival area (which is the newly built parking garage). It is best to stand by the left side of the bus door and then quickly ("bum rush") to the customs area. It is best to have your arrival forms filled out so you can proceed to the appropriate customs station for processing.
Old May 20, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red
Any update on NBO? I have a 5 hour connection in a couple of weeks and would like BA lounge access!
Old May 21, 2014, 6:47 am

No big change. There are no lounges, except for Kenya Airways (and Skyteam) Business Class only (no elites). BA has set aside an area in their departure area where they serve tea/coffee and water to F/J/Elites.

Near gate 14 is a Java Coffee House. Good for a meal, coffee and beer.

Otherwise, bring a good book, iPad loaded with movies, etc. The airport is boring and rather shite.
Old May 26, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red
We arrive tomorrow evening and need to get to our hotel in the Westlands area. Is a taxi from the airport straightforward?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:16 am

NBO VIP Airport Lounges for Business Class on Turkish Airlines or Star Alliance?

We will be travelling business class on Turkish Air in mid-September from NBO. Is anyone aware whether there are any VIP or other lounges available/open at NBO? I believe I saw that Kenya Air has a lounge but I am not sure if one can get access if traveling on Turkish Air. If Turkish Air passengers cannot access any open lounges, is there any place where I can access wifi in the airport? Any help would be appreciated?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:19 am

Go to Nairobi Java House (it is open late...past midnight) and relax. Better than the *A lounge that use to be available. Free 15 minutes wifi at JKIA, which I image you can "renew" by deleting cookies and logging in again
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:28 am

Since the fire, there are no lounges except for KQ Business Class passengers only. As suggested above, use the free airport WiFi. I believe Java have their own WiFi which you can use if you are dining with them.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:45 pm

1 Hour Connection @ NBO?

Just looking at a Kenya airways flight for DXB-NBO-JUB. There is a 1 hour connection time at NBO. I will have hand luggage only. I guess this is doable? Many thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: GGL, BA Lifetime Gold
Normally they meet you at the aircraft steps or gate and take you through a short cut to the relevant departure area so 1 hour is not normally a problem. Your main concern is any flight delay on the first leg which gets you there with say less than 30 minutes to spare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.