Reload this Page >

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2020, 3:00 pm

Given that VS have said they are flying to JNB from LHR beginning Sunday i suspect the rules as we know them and going to change. Just we are not aware of the rule changes yet.
Based on that am positive my BA59 flight on the 29th will take place even for us mere foreign tourists.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:20 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Rules have been in place for a week now, and generally smooth. No second surges (yet) and Switzerland has lifted quarantine requirements on passengers from RSA. However, they are not yet keen on leisure travellers. Entry has been reported as simple and smooth, with a PCR needed within 72 hours of arrival. (NB this is a struggle to achieve if you have two overnight flights to get here (e.g. from N America). We are in late spring going on summer (unlike N Hemisphere). Life frankly not unpleasant. Masks required and most people wearing them. Your temp will be checked entering most stores and restaurants, and sanitisers are at every entrance. There is a curfew (midnight - 04:00).
Old Oct 18, 2020, 12:24 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
So long as you have a Negative PCR (antibody test not accepted) within 72 hours, there is no quarantine requirement for RSA. Check on the BA website as they are providin full information (currently at the top of the splash page)
Old Oct 18, 2020, 2:10 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by KenBoffard
So long as you have a Negative PCR (antibody test not accepted) within 72 hours, there is no quarantine requirement for RSA. Check on the BA website as they are providin full information (currently at the top of the splash page)
Originally Posted by KenBoffard
Rules have been in place for a week now, and generally smooth. No second surges (yet) and Switzerland has lifted quarantine requirements on passengers from RSA. However, they are not yet keen on leisure travellers. Entry has been reported as simple and smooth, with a PCR needed within 72 hours of arrival. (NB this is a struggle to achieve if you have two overnight flights to get here (e.g. from N America). We are in late spring going on summer (unlike N Hemisphere). Life frankly not unpleasant. Masks required and most people wearing them. Your temp will be checked entering most stores and restaurants, and sanitisers are at every entrance. There is a curfew (midnight - 04:00).
The 72 hour negative Covid test for South Africa is from departure to RSA, not from arrival in RSA.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
Sorry for you, but sans miracles you ain’t going!

Have you got an insurance work-around for travelling against FCO advice, because AXA won’t cover you ... I got the letter making that clear.
I don’t understand why you cancelled so early? Avios and 30 day no penalty accommodation cancellation policy what’s the problem? Just wait and see, I’m obviously not optimistic but no need to be quite so dramatic in my view. AXA will cover cancellation penalties as booked pre Covid, they actually suggested leaving it to 7 days before departure. Battleface insurance will cover if travelling against the ludicrous FCO advice.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
1. I’m risk-averse.
2. I don’t see the FCO changing the travel advisory for RSA
3. I can’t get a guaranteed PCR test in the timescale
4. I have already re-invested the bookings in Dominican Republic for Feb 😎

5. ... and Battleface won’t cover me, as I’m over 75! 😢
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by T8191
1. I’m risk-averse.
2. I don’t see the FCO changing the travel advisory for RSA
3. I can’t get a guaranteed PCR test in the timescale
4. I have already re-invested the bookings in Dominican Republic for Feb 😎

5. ... and Battleface won’t cover me, as I’m over 75! 😢
I think that PUJ is a real bargain for a beach vacation right now. Several of the better all inclusive resorts are running deep discount specials right now. I don't know if these are available for your travel dates, but there are a couple I would highly recommend. And there are a few restaurants that we've visited that are really special as well.
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Some may be discounting, but Zoetry Agua isn’t. However, we go where it suits us, rather than on price. Trip Report is PUJ20 in my signature below.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 4:06 pm

Business travel justification

What kind of justifications are acceptable as business travel to the SA DHA - has there been many responses this far??
Old Oct 19, 2020, 1:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by stuarto
What kind of justifications are acceptable as business travel to the SA DHA - has there been many responses this far??
If you look at the email response in this post upthread it appears that you submit your details and proof via email and they will decide if it is acceptable or not.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 6:05 am

New country list and rules for extended stay visitors

Department of Home Affairs - Government issues a revised list of high risk countries

In addition, we recognise that there are a number of regular visitors from mainly European countries that have been accustomed to long periods of visitation to our country during our summer season when it is winter in the Northern Hemisphere. Most of them own properties in the country. We appreciate the significant economic contribution that they make through their activities in the country. To this end, we will also allow visitors, in whichever category, who are coming to stay for a three months period or more subject to Covid-19 protocols.

Last edited by acucobol; Oct 19, 2020 at 6:19 am
Old Oct 19, 2020, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
The previously "low risk" countries of Italy, Germany, and Spain are now "high risk" which would be awkward for anyone who already booked travel via those routes.
konagirl2 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:00 am

60 Countries on original HIGHRISK list--now down to 21---if remains unchanged huge affect on SA Summer Tourist Season with time running out for flights hotels etc.

Canada now high risk so another SA visit seems less likely-the prospect of mask wearing on two long flights and then almost everywhere in hot weather was never attractive
HGOLI likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
The previously "low risk" countries of Italy, Germany, and Spain are now "high risk" which would be awkward for anyone who already booked travel via those routes.
Exactly. Looks like our early November plans are kaputt all of a sudden.

I'm going to reschedule all the bookings now for late 2021

Last edited by AlienInTheFatherland; Oct 19, 2020 at 7:27 am
Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Our trips to ZA are centered on the Kruger Park area safari industry. Since Tanzania, Kenya, Zambia, et al are all open to one extent or another, we will simply get the refunds for our deposits and go elsewhere.

While we feel for the plight of the people living in ZA and attempting to earn a living there, we are not going to wait forever before moving on to other safari destinations.
The_Bouncer and HGOLI like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.