South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Good luck, CaptainElizabeth! 😀
Old Oct 14, 2020, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by lmk
South Africa clarified that transiting a high-risk country is fine (we transited in Doha, Qatar, which is on the high-risk list), as long as you remain airside and do not formally "enter" the country (go through immigration). At JNB we saw several planes from airlines of "high-risk" countries -- e.g. British Airways, Emirates.
To be honest I don't think 'seeing planes' is a guide to much. Airlines have been operating into JNB throughout carrying cargo.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
To be honest I don't think 'seeing planes' is a guide to much. Airlines have been operating into JNB throughout carrying cargo.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by captainmargaret
Update from me - I got a letter from DHA yesterday saying my request for business travel from the UK to SA has been approved. I'm current in FRA having started a 10 day period here so I could fly Lufthansa to JNB, but now I'm heading back to LHR to fly BA from there (there are no direct flights from FRA to JNB until Friday).

The only concern right now is that these letters are clearly being produced manually, with passenger names been cut and paste into the letters and then saved. So my name and email address in the header are correct, as is my passport number - but it's addressed to the wrong person and in another sentence, I've been christened with an addtional name!

As comments above, online check-in is disabled, so I'm about 4 hours from presenting this document (and my negative C19 test) to BA staff. Wish me luck!
And I’m on board BA057 to JNB!

So I was transferring through LHR from BA. Couldn’t check in online so went to the BA desks before security - they check the PCR paperwork then looked over the letter from SA DHA, incorrect name and all. He briefly checked with his supervisor, I think it was the first he’d seen, she waved it through.

One point I was expecting - at the gate, the staff were repeatedly telling passengers that valid travel insurance was required, and may be checked on arrival JNB. I’d assume folks would have that anyway, but flagging here.

Will update with the process in SA!
Old Oct 14, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
JNB transit question

Wanting to go to HRE in December from USA. I know I can't enter SA, but are transit passengers allowed to pass through? Haven't been able to find an answer.

Thank you!!!!
Old Oct 15, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: IHG Gold
One point I was expecting - at the gate, the staff were repeatedly telling passengers that valid travel insurance was required, and may be checked on arrival JNB. I’d assume folks would have that anyway, but flagging here.
Likely that because of the FCO status of SA as "Advise against all but essential travel", most "regular" travel insurance is invalid. As upthread, our annual policy wouldn't cover it, so my wife bought a single trip policy from another provider.

signol
Old Oct 15, 2020, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Insurance is proving to be a killer for us, in the face of FCO travel advice. I looked at Battleface, mentioned quite often around here, but ...
What is not covered:
... costs arising from illness if You are 75 years or over;
Bugger!!

https://www.battleface.com/en/2019/0...t-gbp-non-eea/
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by T8191
Insurance is proving to be a killer for us, in the face of FCO travel advice. I looked at Battleface, mentioned quite often around here, but ...
Bugger!!

https://www.battleface.com/en/2019/0...t-gbp-non-eea/
Insurance is going to be a bugger for many people. I am covered by Bupa Global for medical expenses everywhere except USA.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:36 am

And I’m on board BA057 to JNB!

So I was transferring through LHR from BA. Couldn’t check in online so went to the BA desks before security - they check the PCR paperwork then looked over the letter from SA DHA, incorrect name and all. He briefly checked with his supervisor, I think it was the first he’d seen, she waved it through.

Will update with the process in SA!
So just to round this off, I've arrived in JNB.

BA staff handed out locator forms onboard for passengers to fill in on before landing (this *didn't* happen flying into FRA two days previous, and the locator form/border control was an utter shitshow at Frankfurt).

It was a completely painless experience at OR Tambo; a dozen nurses were on the airbridge to check passports and PCR tests. At border control, the locator form was taken, and temperature taken by the existing thermal cameras (they've been present in the 5 years I've been travelling to JNB, assume they're a hangover from SARS?). At the desk, again presented my PCR test and my letter of approval for business travel (spelling errors and all). And it took no longer than the usual time.

Arrivals is completely closed to everyone except arrivals and staff; the public can't get any closer than pick-up or the parking lots (and there are apparently plenty of problems with pick-up ATM).

So full of unknowns, but the tl;dr for LHR > JNB is:

- Online checkin is currently disabled to allow for manual document checks
- PCR test checked 4 times in total; twice at LHR, twice at JNB
- Boarding times are signficantly longer because of the socially-distanced boarding by row number from the rear of the craft
- DHA letter approving business travel is a manually edited shambles and took two weeks from emailing to receiving, but staff in both LHR and JNB seem accepting of this
- Big emphasis on valid insurance being in place, although this wasn't checked in JNB (I imagine they're keen to see it if you fail the temperature check or display symptoms)

The only criticism of BA, was that the Club World fit out on last night's BA57 was the creakiest I've seen in my time; US power sockets only, no USB, ancient screens for the inflight entertainment, power to the seats kept cutting out - I think there's been at least two refits/remodels of CW since, and the lack of UK sockets makes me wonder where they've dragged this plane from. I've never flown in such an elderly CW cabin before.
T8191 and CoolCanuck54 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:46 am

Looks like you were on G-YMML which is still sporting the 2000/2001 interior. Due to be refurbished next September, assuming that program is still going ahead. See the wiki: LGW & LHR selected 777s go 10-abreast (3-4-3) in Y 2018 onwards
Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:47 am

14 December 2020 DL starts (resumes?) ATL-JNB-CPT-ATL service...
https://www.tourismupdate.co.za/arti...eturn-december
Unanswered questions, elephant in the room is current restrictions for US travelers to SA. They seem to discuss (in video at about 3:00 into video) what pax may start using service. But, they never answer the question about what DL is doing/plans to do in light of restrictions on US travelers to SA.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by signol
She'll head down to Durban by air in the coming days.
signol
We flew JNB-DUR the other day. Masks on plane was relatively strictly enforced. Form checking in JNB was fairly lax, although in DUR on the return they were much more stringent. DUR as an airport is a ghost town, which is a shame because there has clearly been a lot of recent investment in the airport. Umhlanga was quite busy, and masks out in the open felt optional. Was quite a contrast to Gauteng.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Just to note Western Cape's 14 day / 100,000 rate was 36.2 on entering Level 1 on 20th September and dropping. It went down to 27 but has since been climbing and today is at 38.6.

I can't see how, as yet, this could be attributed to imported cases (post the 1st October border re-openings). Rather this looks another example of the pendulum swinging when restrictions are eased; in this case Level 2 to Level 1 etc.
As far as I've been made aware the compliance with the current restrictions is high.
Positive cases have recently gone back over 10% of tests.

So, all-in-all, not a bad situation but not necessarily continually improving as Summer arrives. Worth keeping an eye on for those of us waiting for the opportunity to make the trip down from Europe.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:17 am

One reason is that the 24th of Sept is a public holiday, weekends and public holidays in SA typically results in less tests, and since it was a Thursday it seemed to have also affected Friday testing.
Given the requirements for international travel at the moment, I don't expect there will be many imported cases, but of course it remains to be seen when the 2nd wave hits.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 2:46 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Mrs t and I will be flying LHR/CPT in November. She is a SA citizen, I am a PR, so I presume our proof of South African 'Medical Aid' will be enough (if required at all). We have booked our Covid test here in the UK for 2 days before departure (24 hour return service). Using the recent BA Avios sale and flying CW, will be interesting to experience (we usually fly Emirates J). We left SA on a BA repatriation flight early June (normally resident in Canterbury), so first time in the air since then. Return to UK (including quarantine) after Christmas.
Goldaviator likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.