South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2020, 3:59 am

What constitutes business travel to SA?

Hi, I think this was asked earlier but can't recall seeing a response...
How does the SA DHA determine what is allowed as business travel - would getting my house building works progressed with a contractor be justification enough??

Apologies if this has been answered previously but we've seats booked for December and I cant be sure UK status with WHO will change, let alone the FCO view of SA..

Cheers
Old Oct 16, 2020, 4:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by stuarto
Hi, I think this was asked earlier but can't recall seeing a response...
How does the SA DHA determine what is allowed as business travel - would getting my house building works progressed with a contractor be justification enough??

Apologies if this has been answered previously but we've seats booked for December and I cant be sure UK status with WHO will change, let alone the FCO view of SA..

Cheers
I would define business as something you make money from. Maybe if you had the intention to rent out the property, that may very well qualify.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Mrs t and I will be flying LHR/CPT in November. She is a SA citizen, I am a PR, so I presume our proof of South African 'Medical Aid' will be enough (if required at all). We have booked our Covid test here in the UK for 2 days before departure (24 hour return service). Using the recent BA Avios sale and flying CW, will be interesting to experience (we usually fly Emirates J). We left SA on a BA repatriation flight early June (normally resident in Canterbury), so first time in the air since then. Return to UK (including quarantine) after Christmas.
when you flying? I’m booked 5/11 Lhr-Cpt
Old Oct 16, 2020, 6:57 am

Business travel

We're due out on 2nd Dec as it stands, Im considering writing to the DHA and stating my case..
Old Oct 16, 2020, 7:01 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Goldaviator
when you flying? I’m booked 5/11 Lhr-Cpt
Only 14/11
Old Oct 16, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I would define business as something you make money from. Maybe if you had the intention to rent out the property, that may very well qualify.
We submitted our business travel application 12 days ago on the basis of needing to do work on our rental property, so we're waiting to see what the DHA says.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Only 14/11
You’ll be bringing the aircraft out that’s taking me home then.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Are we not due the promised 2 weekly update on the red list?
Old Oct 16, 2020, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
SA gov did say it would be reassessed every two weeks but wouldn’t hold my breath.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
Ramaphosa said yesterday
To support tourism over this peak tourism season, we will shortly be publishing an expanded list of countries from where resumption of international travel will be permitted, which will be supported by targeted marketing in partnership with the private sector.
Address by President Cyril Ramaphosa to the Joint Sitting of Parliament on South Africa's Economic Reconstruction and Recovery Plan | The Presidency

It remains to be seen what "shortly" means in this case
thijsseh likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Mr President
Although international tourist travel is likely only to recover in the medium term, our efforts are now focused on implementing an efficient e-visa system and extending visa waivers to new tourism markets.

To support tourism over this peak tourism season, we will shortly be publishing an expanded list of countries from where resumption of international travel will be permitted, which will be supported by targeted marketing in partnership with the private sector.
Too late ... we've cancelled everything. Maybe December 2021?
The_Bouncer and acucobol like this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 3:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Well, at least part of my winter season is sorted out. I'm flying to Tanzania on Thursday.
T8191 and acucobol like this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 5:50 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
we are still sitting on our December booking but getting less and less hopeful with our governments shambolic management of a worsening covid situation, will probably bite the bullet and cancel at the 30 day mark when accomodation penalties kick in, AXA did say 7days and we'd be covered but....
Old Oct 17, 2020, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sorry for you, but sans miracles you ain’t going!

Have you got an insurance work-around for travelling against FCO advice, because AXA won’t cover you ... I got the letter making that clear.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
We are still sitting on our early November departure to JNB.
Assuming this will work unless things change, because as far as I understand:
  • we initiate our travel in what (for the moment) is deemed to be low risk country - Germany
  • Germany is on the list of countries ex which tourists are allowed to enter and obtain a Visitor Visa
  • Transit via LHR is permitted - border officials are supposed to be looking at country of origin rather than country of arriving airline
  • we will have PCR test done before leaving The Fatherland and proof thereof within the 72 hr period
  • my travel insurance has confirmed that we are covered in the case of eventualities surrounding COVID19
So eagerly awaiting ZA Govt. new announcements that were promised on a fortnightly interval and perhaps confirmation from a tourist visitor coming from a safe country who managed to get in at JNB having transferred onto a BA flight at LHR ....
T8191 and Goldaviator like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.