Reload this Page >

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 8:25 am

My application for permission to travel for business reasons submitted two weeks ago received a reply today.

Good day,

Kindly note that since Ireland is no longer on the list of High risk countries, you may travel without permission.

Also note that individuals who own property in South Africa and are from high risk countries may also travel without approval.

Regards

This is a factually incorrect reply which I have challenged and await a further response.

My Irish passport does not allow me to travel without permission as I live in the U.K. and I am flying from London.

My property does not allow me to travel without permission as I wish to stay for less than 90 days.

I still require permission to travel and have yet to receive it.
T8191 and Colossus like this.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BlueEgg
A bit unrelated to South Africa. How would the LAMP test help UK travelers going to HKG in the near future? One would still need a PCR test on arrival in HKG and wait for the results at the airport or in a hotel. On proving to be negative for the test, one would then proceed to a booked hotel to be quarantined in a hotel room for 14 days.
If you are travelling from the UK to Hong Kong you require a test before arrival on top of the other measures once you get there.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/COVID19.page
Old Oct 21, 2020, 6:56 pm

I've find struggled to find any concrete information regarding transit requirements. Are people traveling from a high-risk country allowed to transit through Johannesburg Airport (ie. connecting flight after 3 hour layover)? I see the main issue being the need to pass through immigration and customs regardless.

Anyone have any idea if a layover is possible for those from a high-risk country?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:57 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Jetpack
I've find struggled to find any concrete information regarding transit requirements. Are people traveling from a high-risk country allowed to transit through Johannesburg Airport (ie. connecting flight after 3 hour layover)? I see the main issue being the need to pass through immigration and customs regardless.

Anyone have any idea if a layover is possible for those from a high-risk country?
For an Int-Int connection in JNB, you don't need to pass through immigration and customs (assuming you have checked through your luggage and have a boarding pass for your onward connection).
That in itself does not answer your question, I don't know the regulations for that specific situation. If it is not allowed, you would probably be denied boarding at your point of departure. I hope someone else can answer the question properly.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, SAA Gold, Virgin Gold, Expedia Gold, Accor Silver
Apologies in advance for being off topic, but I just saw that BA are listing direct LHR / DUR flights from April 2021. Prices seem excessive (Ł7k in J) but perhaps they plan to resume this route in 2Q21.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Originally Posted by fishz
Apologies in advance for being off topic, but I just saw that BA are listing direct LHR / DUR flights from April 2021. Prices seem excessive (Ł7k in J) but perhaps they plan to resume this route in 2Q21.
I suspect the price is an indication that the flight won't happen, as there are return flights to JNB/CPT for less than Ł2K in the sale
Old Oct 23, 2020, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by acucobol
My application for permission to travel for business reasons submitted two weeks ago received a reply today.

Good day,

Kindly note that since Ireland is no longer on the list of High risk countries, you may travel without permission.

Also note that individuals who own property in South Africa and are from high risk countries may also travel without approval.

Regards

This is a factually incorrect reply which I have challenged and await a further response.

My Irish passport does not allow me to travel without permission as I live in the U.K. and I am flying from London.

My property does not allow me to travel without permission as I wish to stay for less than 90 days.

I still require permission to travel and have yet to receive it.
We applied for permission to travel on 4 October but heard nothing, so we reapplied this morning. This time, we received an immediate auto response, which at least gives us some hope that emails are being acted upon.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by fishz
Originally Posted by escape2sun
I suspect the price is an indication that the flight won't happen, as there are return flights to JNB/CPT for less than Ł2K in the sale
These flights are currently zeroed out in all classes which means escape2sun is likely correct and these are just slot fillers in the schedule. Well, it's either that or they are still loading these fares.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Postdoc
We applied for permission to travel on 4 October but heard nothing, so we reapplied this morning. This time, we received an immediate auto response, which at least gives us some hope that emails are being acted upon.
I applied on the 12th - no reply other than the auto response despite chasing this week. I note from the VFS UK page for applications for SA visas there is an announcement from the SA High Commission in London that now, even if you receive permission, it appears to not be permission to travel, rather permission to apply for a visa. See below (can't post link). The fact that the SA High Commission Website is still down and has been for months is not helpful!

Has anyone recently actually received permission to board the aircraft rather than permission to apply for a Visa? The Visa application is at least 4-5 weeks. I'm supposed to be travelling in 2 weeks!

UK IS LISTED AS A HIGH RISK COUNTRY SO:
1. Any person who wishes to undertake a business travel (Business Meetings and Section 11(2) ) into South Africa, may with effect from 01 October 2020, in writing , apply to the Minister of Home Affairs and demonstrate reasons for their request to enter the Republic for business purposes during the period of the national state of disaster.
Such application must be directed by applicant to email [email protected] and supported by:
(a) A copy of passport and/or temporary residence visa;
(b) Proof of business activities to be undertaken in the Republic
(c) Proof of travel itinerary; and
(d) Proof of address of accommodation in the Republic.
2. Only on receipt of the approval from [email protected], a person can make the necessary appointment with VFS Global to lodge visa application.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Davesa
I applied on the 12th - no reply other than the auto response despite chasing this week. I note from the VFS UK page for applications for SA visas there is an announcement from the SA High Commission in London that now, even if you receive permission, it appears to not be permission to travel, rather permission to apply for a visa. See below (can't post link). The fact that the SA High Commission Website is still down and has been for months is not helpful!

Has anyone recently actually received permission to board the aircraft rather than permission to apply for a Visa? The Visa application is at least 4-5 weeks. I'm supposed to be travelling in 2 weeks!

1. Any person who wishes to undertake a business travel (Business Meetings and Section 11(2) ) into South Africa, may with effect from 01 October 2020, in writing , apply to the Minister of Home Affairs and demonstrate reasons for their request to enter the Republic for business purposes during the period of the national state of disaster.
Such application must be directed by applicant to email [email protected] and supported by:
2. Only on receipt of the approval from [email protected], a person can make the necessary appointment with VFS Global to lodge visa application.
Oh god, I hope not! They seem to be changing the goal posts the whole time.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Davesa

The way I read it, VFS don't want people to apply for a visa they will not be able to use/might get rejected without prior approval.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 9:51 am

SA House have also confirmed that UK Citizens will be allowed entry if they have a relatives visa. This is an option for those with a SA spouse, parents etc. It's a pain to apply though and requires chest X rays, medical report and police report and takes at least 30days to receive it but it should guarantee entry and lasts for at least 2 years. Definitely an option if you are not due to travel for a while and have SA family
Old Oct 25, 2020, 9:58 am

Options for residency permit

Would it be worth applying for a form of residency permit if you own property there and retired with a plan to stay for extended periods throughout the year??
Old Oct 25, 2020, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by stuarto
Would it be worth applying for a form of residency permit if you own property there and retired with a plan to stay for extended periods throughout the year??
If you plan on staying more than 90 days at a time, applying for a long term visa probably makes sense as they are issued for 2 or 3 years and will avoid the need to renew a visitor's visa multiple times.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by stuarto
Look into any taxation implications of such a permit.

I have approval to travel to SA. Trip on 29th October has been rebooked and as only 12 seats currently sold in economy according to expertflyer I have downgraded myself to economy and saved a few pounds and pence.

Tomorrow’s hurdle is to find a quick turnaround PCR operator. Medicspot at least according to their website look like they can do It.
Will update thread on CPT arrival experience.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Nov 8, 2020 at 12:13 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.