Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Passengers and agents allege Aer Lingus is breaking law on refunds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Airline denies claims while flying near-empty planes to US despite restrictions on arrivals

Aer Lingus has denied it is breaking the law by not offering full refunds to passengers who have had flights cancelled due to the coronavirus crisis.

However, passengers, tour operators and travel agents have all flagged significant issues when dealing with the airline in recent days.

Aer Lingus has also been accused of side-stepping refund claims from US-bound passengers by flying virtually empty planes across the Atlantic despite the fact that Irish passengers with bookings cannot travel as a result of restrictions imposed by the Trump administration.

The owner of the Tour America travel agency Mary McKenna said Aer Lingus was one of a number of airlines not following EU regulations and refusing to give passengers refunds.

She said it was attempting to push people into accepting vouchers or alternate bookings instead of giving them money back. She also said it was withholding money paid out by travel agents on behalf of clients. They have thrown the travel agents and tour operators under the bus, she said. A voucher instead of a refund is not acceptable and it is not going to be much use to someone who has lost their job.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-s...unds-1.4213285
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: EI Aer Club Platinum; AF/KLM Flying Blue; IHG Rewards Platinum Elite; Hilton Honors Silver.
Thanks for sharing this, Dellas.

What is the legal position if EI rebook you onto an alternative flight to the same destination? Can passengers refuse and request a refund instead?

My understanding is that EU261 offers passengers a choice between rebooking or refund but the above table does not mention that.

Last edited by mb48; Mar 28, 2020 at 10:33 am
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

You can refuse it if it does not suit . I know people who have in the past been offered flights 30 mins later and have opted for a refund .
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
The position is if you booked, don't show up and the flight operates you forfeit the ticket

If you are booked and change before departure you cannot get a refund unless the flight is cancelled, under normal circumstances

The current rules are change fees are abolished and you have the extra entitlement to cancel for a voucher worth 10% more than the fare valid for 5 years
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:56 am
Original Poster

For anyone wanting to get their rights go here

https://www.flightrights.ie/

Dont always believe the airlines or what they claim to say you are and are not entitled to.
mailliW likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Airlines Ordered to Refund Cost of Flights Canceled by Virus

Airlines must fully refund airfare to passengers whose flights have been canceled during the outbreak of Covid-19, the U.S. Transportation Department ordered on Friday.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...celed-by-virus
MM00LL2 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EI tickets are covered by EC 261/2004. To the extent that the ticket involves a US departure or destination, they are also covered by DOT rules.

In both cases, if the flight is cancelled or significantly delayed, the passenger is due a refund within 7 days unless he agrees to some other arrangement. The passenger may choose to, but need not, accept a reroute.

Simply request a refund, wait 7 days and then initiate a charge back with one's credit card issuer (bank). Make certain to provide a copy of one's e-ticket receipt and proof that one requested a refund. This could be an email or a screen shot of the refund request.

No need to involve others in this process as it is simple and should not take long.
MM00LL2 likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:00 pm

I'm booked on SFO-DUB in late May. It's starting to look like it won't even be legal for me to leave San Francisco due to our Shelter in Place order, but unless Aer Lingus cancels the flight there won't be an option to refund my fare. Really wish I didn't book on Aer Lingus now since it seems like they are waiting until the last minute to cancel some US flights to encourage passengers to take the rebooking/voucher options so they can avoid paying refunds. Other airlines have been a lot more flexible during these extraordinary circumstances.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: EI Aer Club Platinum; AF/KLM Flying Blue; IHG Rewards Platinum Elite; Hilton Honors Silver.
I'm meant to be flying from the US to Ireland later this week for Easter. My flight has not been bookable for weeks, yet Aer Lingus only emailed me yesterday to announce a "schedule change" (automatically rebooked onto the 104 from JFK) and there was no specific mention of my original flight (108) being cancelled. Not sure if this wording is to try to get around refund rules or if I'm just reading too much into it.

Worth calling (and waiting patiently!) to tell them that I don't want to take the rescheduled flight and would prefer a refund, or should I just go ahead and request a refund online?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Absolutely do it online. That way you have a record. keep screenshots of everything. It does not matter whether your original flight operates, as EI has moved you to a different service, which you need not accept.

Make a specific request for a refund to your original form of payment, wait 7 days and then file a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank). It goes without saying that if the refund is denied sooner, file the chargeback immediately.

You need not accept the change and are entitled to a refund if you wish. Both under EC 261/2004 and under US DOT rules.
DELLAS likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Good advice there do online and screenshot everything as if you are in for a battle those will be essential to proving your case. They say there are no friends in business for a reason!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:59 am

No Refund Offered by Aerlingus

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Good advice there do online and screenshot everything as if you are in for a battle those will be essential to proving your case. They say there are no friends in business for a reason!
Hi, thanks for all the advice. Just thought I'd share that I was due to fly from Cork to Bristol on 11th April, just been informed by Aerlingus that " We apologize, but we will no longer be operating the flights on your itinerary due to current extraordinary circumstances.
Like many others I was not offered a refund just a voucher which is no use to me. Under (EC) 261/2004, if its not within the airlines "control" then compensation is not payable!!! Has this happened to anyone else and whats the next course of action! Many thanks :-)

Last edited by Tweet; Apr 8, 2020 at 1:08 pm Reason: Typo - should have read was not offered a refund
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Tweet
Hi, thanks for all the advice. Just thought I'd share that I was due to fly from Cork to Bristol on 11th April, just been informed by Aerlingus that " We apologize, but we will no longer be operating the flights on your itinerary due to current extraordinary circumstances.
Like many others I was offered a refund or voucher which is no use to me. Under (EC) 261/2004, if its not within the airlines "control" then compensation is not payable!!! Has this happened to anyone else and whats the next course of action! Many thanks :-)
Take the refund, doubt you'll get compensation above that.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by mccartje
Take the refund, doubt you'll get compensation above that.

Why would anyone expect compensation for a cancelled flight in current circumstances?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.