Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Passengers and agents allege Aer Lingus is breaking law on refunds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers and agents allege Aer Lingus is breaking law on refunds

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
You can agree to alternatives certainly but those would be AFTER an event. E.g 600 euro cash but 1000 euro voucher...

It's hard to call COVID19 exceptional circumstances as its been round several months so the airline knows about it and still decided to operate. The airline continues to fly and continues to take bookings. Had they given you 2 weeks notice they could simply refund you.

I'm sitting at gate 411 in T2 right now, ghost town. The EI330 was cancelled some months back but was reinstated last month first flight today. So the airline made the decision to operate in the full knowledge of global circumstances. So if they cancel I expect full EC261 entitlements to be paid.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 5:52 am

I got my refund 3 weeks after I asked them. Also my original booking was october last year and I cound't fly that time so I rebooked to this year in May. of course I paid 100 euro for changing dates. But now I got full refund including 100 euro for changing booking. Thank you covid-19 I own you beer
Old Jul 21, 2020, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The EC has issued Guidance making it clear:
1. The pandemic creates an "extraordinary circumstance." The Guidance remains in full force and effect. Thus, no delay or cancellation compensation.
2. The same Guidance makes it equally clear that Section 8 rebooking rights may be confined to a refund, largely because rebooking may not be feasible.
3. Duty of care remains.

With that Guidance, EI will simply deny #1 . Depending on what a rebooking looks like, #2 may be possible (as well as a refund with a lot of back-and-forth) and #3 means you get your meal voucher or something similar as applicable.

This points to the value of a chargeback for a refund is your request for a refund is not initiated by EI within 7 days of your request. Key is to keep things in writing and to supply your card issuer (bank) with the backup paperwork when you file your chargeback, e.g. copy of e-ticket receipt, notice of cancellation (or other similar screen shot), your request for a refund, and either EI's denial or inaction. Also make certain to include the relevant provision of Sec. 8 stating the entitlement.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Flight cancelled; submitted refund request with all information required. Got a follow-up email asking for the same information again.

Having seen the reports of long wait times and being made to jump through hoops, I've started a charge-back process with my credit card company.

Aer Lignus haven't done much to attract my loyalty going forward.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:57 am
Suspended

Just make certain that you have submitted the noted backup documents and that everything is done in writing. It is really hard to deny these when the consumer has fully documented an entitlement under existing law, e.g. Section 8 of the Regulation.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

From what I have heard the refund turn around times will be ramped up from 1/8 due to new technology being installed. Currently 1000 can be processed a day but from 1/8 they will have a capacity of 9000 a day . Also the bookings with extra add ons like bags / seats etc were taking longer as they were manually done.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DELLAS
From what I have heard the refund turn around times will be ramped up from 1/8 due to new technology being installed. Currently 1000 can be processed a day but from 1/8 they will have a capacity of 9000 a day . Also the bookings with extra add ons like bags / seats etc were taking longer as they were manually done.
A function of chargebacks having put extreme pressure on EI. Merchant acquirers hold back a percentage of card charges so that they can meet chargebacks. The more chargebacks, the higher the percentage. That starves the vendor even further. All easily avoidable with technology which may be "new" to EI but is at least 15 years old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.