Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Passengers and agents allege Aer Lingus is breaking law on refunds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers and agents allege Aer Lingus is breaking law on refunds

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:06 pm

Sorry typo, was meant to say was not offered a refund,
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no compensation. Not only should it be self-evident that the C-19 situation is an "extraordinary circumstance" but to the extent that it isn't self-evident, the EC has issued Guidance making this clear.

As to the ticket itself, EC 261/2004 would require a reimbursement (refund) if you wish one.

Your post is unclear as you mention not being "offered" a refund. The important question is whether you asked for and were denied a refund.

If you were denied a refund, initiate a chargeback with your credit card issuer (bank). If you have not asked for a refund, send a note to EI requesting a refund to your original form of payment. EI has seven days to initiate the refund and you may initiate a chargeback on the 8th day (or sooner if for some reason EI denied the refund).
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:30 pm

Thanks very much, you've been so helpful thank you for explaining :-)
Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YayArea
I'm booked on SFO-DUB in late May. It's starting to look like it won't even be legal for me to leave San Francisco due to our Shelter in Place order, but unless Aer Lingus cancels the flight there won't be an option to refund my fare. Really wish I didn't book on Aer Lingus now since it seems like they are waiting until the last minute to cancel some US flights to encourage passengers to take the rebooking/voucher options so they can avoid paying refunds. Other airlines have been a lot more flexible during these extraordinary circumstances.
You've unfortunately learned your lesson the hard way with EI. You'll have to wait until closer to departure time and when you see the flight is cancelled request your refund. I'd also send a certified letter to their US HQ in NY so when your credit card company disputes the charge for you you will have clear evidence of your attempt to cancel.

And when you do get your hard earned money back, NEVER EVER again fly on EI metal. Stay with a legacy carrier, who know what the word customer means (not EI's laughable Guest)
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Senor not all airlines are more flexible. Many airlines are being as creative maybe unethical as possible to ensure "breakage" in refunds and delay them to the last moment if at all. Some of course like LX lol are even clearly instructing agents to knowingly violate EU law by refusing or denying that refunds are entitlements.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by IrishBoy
You've unfortunately learned your lesson the hard way with EI. You'll have to wait until closer to departure time and when you see the flight is cancelled request your refund. I'd also send a certified letter to their US HQ in NY so when your credit card company disputes the charge for you you will have clear evidence of your attempt to cancel.

And when you do get your hard earned money back, NEVER EVER again fly on EI metal. Stay with a legacy carrier, who know what the word customer means (not EI's laughable Guest)
Yep, we're sitting here waiting for them to cancel the flight. Since our outbound flight is May 22nd, that's the magic date that we need to be cancelled to get a refund. At this point I'm starting to think that there is a good chance EI will fly it, even though they haven't been selling tickets on it for a month now. The whole reason we booked EI was to get to DUB nonstop as a convenience. We actually paid a premium to fly them.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:25 am

This morning I received an email notification from EI that my flight SFO-DUB on May 22 has been cancelled. I used the form linked in the email to put in a request for a refund. Fingers crossed.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:29 am
Suspended

I asked for a voucher a week ago, but have not heard a thing yet.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: AerClub Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, Hhonors Silver, IHG Spire Elite, Hotels.com Gold, BA blue
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I think there's a massive backlog, I requested the vouchers on April 3rd, haven't heard a peep back either.
Old May 5, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: AerClub - Concierge, Hotels.com - Gold
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
A week ago? I applied on March 24th. Nothing yet. Don't delete any emails!
Old May 7, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Dear Guest,
If your booking was made with a travel agent, please contact the agent for information on your options. The following information only applies to guests that booked directly on aerlingus.com.
Regrettably all flights from/to London City and Dublin have been suspended from May 18th 2020. This is due to the current extraordinary circumstances and the closure of London City Airport.
All guests have been re-accommodated on our London Heathrow service with AerLingus.
If this does not suit your travel plans please see alternative option for an AerLingus travel voucher;
Apply for a voucher
You can now apply for a voucher for the full value of your flight (including taxes and charges), plus an extra 10%. So, if for example, your flight cost at total of ?200, we?ll send you a ?220 voucher. Click here for relevant Terms and Conditions.
Applying for a voucher is really simple ? just follow the steps at: https://www.aerlingus.com/support/fo...-request-form/
For full information on your rights and our obligations under Regulation (EC) 261/2004, please follow this link - www.aerlingus.com/support/legal/regulation .
Kind regards,
The AerLingus Team
So I have no interest in a flight from heathrow generally (travel time to Heathrow is more than flight time!), but considering this was a trip for a wedding, which is cancelled, I most certainly have no interest in flying. However, a voucher doesn't interest me - this was going to be my first time flying Aer Lingus since moving from Dub to Lon at the start of 2018. It is unlikely I would ever use that voucher.

What is the best way of requesting a cash refund?
Old May 7, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Fill it in
https://www.aerlingus.com/support/fo...-request-form/

Flight related cancellation, opt for the "unsuitable new flight time"
Old May 7, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Originally Posted by ROKNA
Fill it in
https://www.aerlingus.com/support/fo...-request-form/

Flight related cancellation, opt for the "unsuitable new flight time"
cheers!
Old May 7, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: Aer Lingus
Sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere but I am requesting a voucher for a flight I have booked in May. The website has this language "Please select the checkbox to indicate if your original booking was made with Avios Points.". Does this include flights where avios were used to pay for a portion of the cost as opposed to a reward flight?
Old May 11, 2020, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Has anyone got any experience of current turn around times on cash refunds?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.