Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: re-qualification, A3 extends status and earning period by 6 months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-19: re-qualification, A3 extends status and earning period by 6 months

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:30 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Based on the screenshot of Archon1995, they haven't been given any extra time to achieve Gold, and if they do reach Gold then they will continue in the same position they would have been in without this extension. So practically no benefit from this extension.

For Xandrios there is potential benefit in that the extra 6 months (Nov 2020 - May 2021) could be used to credit to Flying Blue or maybe even other Star FFPs, but this may not be useful or desirable.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I know some A3*Gs who already met the retention requirements and will probably diversify away from A3 program use earlier/more because of what the A3 membership year extension means for them.

Speaking of an A3*G account which originally had a membership tier period expiring in May 2020 and had already met the retention requirements to keep A3*G status, it show the Gold tier has been retained until November 2021. So a 6 month extension of *G status. If the account is no longer used for flights, when will the account lose *G status? November 2021?

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 1, 2020 at 3:15 am
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:34 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
SQ have just announced a 12-month extension.

I would also like to share that we will automatically renew all KrisFlyer Elite and PPS Club membership statuses for another 12 months at the end of your respective membership year. This applies to all memberships expiring from March 2020 through to February 2021. The validity of any expiring PPS and Elite Gold Rewards will also be extended until 31 March 2021. You can find out more here.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
an A3*G account which originally had a membership tier period expiring in May 2020 and had already met the retention requirements to keep A3*G status, it show the Gold tier has been retained until November 2021. So a 6 month extension of *G status. If the account is no longer used for flights, when will the account lose *G status? November 2021?
yes, November 2021 is your deadline to re-qualify or you lose *G status
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
I know some A3*Gs who already met the retention requirements and will probably diversify away from A3 program use earlier/more because of what the A3 membership year extension means for them.

Speaking of an A3*G account which originally had a membership tier period expiring in May 2020 and had already met the retention requirements to keep A3*G status, it show the Gold tier has been retained until November 2021. So a 6 month extension of *G status. If the account is no longer used for flights, when will the account lose *G status? November 2021?
Try remind me on the 24th Nov 2020, shall screenshot the date to retain tier shall there be any
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:46 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by :D!
For Xandrios there is potential benefit in that the extra 6 months (Nov 2020 - May 2021) could be used to credit to Flying Blue or maybe even other Star FFPs, but this may not be useful or desirable.
I'm going a little bit offtopic here, hope thats OK.

Theoretically one could indeed switch some of their flying to another alliance or *A programme. However I don't really wanna do that I really like flying A3, and especially these times where it just feels better to have a little space between pax I prefer to fly business. Preferably direct flights as well. With Skyteam that's going to be very expensive (KLM business fare AMS-ATH r/t is ~900 euro!) and by far not as nice. Aegean offers better service and better price.

Better yet would be to stop flying for the next 6 months. But I'm scared that once flights are being scheduled again, sooner rather than later, I'm going to have to be flying again.
:D! likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by 2P or not 2P
That is not that difficult, surely? If there's some semblance of normality by, say, September, I'd say that's one of the easier elite qualifications to achieve.A single round trip Europe to Asia on SAS would probably do it - or US West Coast to Europe. If it's marginal add a connecting flight to earn minimum 600 miles per sector.
I do expect to achieve it before the deadline, and was going to do so in August before *waves at the world* all this. I'm not banking on it, though. I can deal with earning Silver to Gold from scratch in the extended period if needed.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Good on for A3 for doing something, but maybe the 6 month approach may have some unintended consequences. In my case before the extension I was in my current year with expiry 04-09-2020 and had requalified for my next year so set till 04-09-2021. Got the email that informed me that my current status had been extended to 04-03-2021. Checked my account found it to be so and also the vouchers for the current year had also been pushed out the 6 months to 04-03-2021. The requalified year had been added to retain tier until 04-03-2022.
So in effect I have been given an extension to my current year to assist with requalification, which I did not need as had already requalified, so really pointless in my case. Additionally it appears that my requalification anniversary has now shifted to 4 March which is not as ideal as a 4 September so the whole exercise of no real value in my case and I would think for most who had already requalified.
Please don't get me wrong I think it is great they have given the 6 month extension in a way that could benefit those who thru no fault of thier own would not have been able to requalify. In terms of flights and frequency levels returning to some where near normal inside 6 montths would be very opptomistic and perhaps 12 months is more realistic. If so the 6 month extension may become a moot point but would love to be wrong on this. Interesting that other *A operators have gone the 12 month extension road.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I noticed that it's still possible to buy up to 5,000 Tier Miles, despite the fact that they've extended the earning period by 6 months.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:46 pm

Not sure if it has already been mentioned in this way, but I thought that the 6-month extension was given to everyone according to the date "limits" set by Aegean. I now realise that blue members got absolutely nothing, which is I think is extremely unfair: Not only are blue members affected by the groundings just the same as status holders, but blue members actually need to accrue more miles to reach status than status holders!! Personally, I wasn't aiming at gaining any status with Aegean, but I find this discrimination against blue members one of the worst ever!
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:20 pm

...but blue members actually need to accrue more miles to reach status...

Why do blue members now need more miles?
...miles to reach status than status holders!!

When do status holders need to accrue miles to... reach status?

Well, in spite of the fact that I don't understand these two extremely discriminatory "issues", there was a time when (almost) everybody was satisfied that a few years back it became more difficult to reach gold. Now "we" complain about that? Or is there something I'm missing?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:49 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
I guess that if someone on Blue Tier had started to accumulate miles during the "fixed 12 month period" then with the lack of flights would not be able to achieve the required miles. So for example they had earned 10000 miles and done the 2 A3 segments over say 9 months then would still have 2000 miles to accumulate and with no flights no chance to do so in the next 3 months.
GUWonder and giorginho like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Why do blue members now need more miles?
When do status holders need to accrue miles to... reach status?

Well, in spite of the fact that I don't understand these two extremely discriminatory "issues", there was a time when (almost) everybody was satisfied that a few years back it became more difficult to reach gold. Now "we" complain about that? Or is there something I'm missing?
I can't tell you if and what it is you are missing, perhaps you've held one and the same status for a bit too long to be accustomed to the rules for the rest of them?
Status holders need to accrue miles to retain (requalify for) their own status, if they don't get the required miles, the drop down one level, so in a way that perfectly makes sense, one could say that status holders have to (re-)reach their own status. I don't get the difficulty in understanding that (even if I didn't take the time to use the word "retain" instead of "reach", if you're gold and you don't "reach gold" again, albeit with fewer miles compared to blue members, you don't get to keep gold).
Moving on to your other question: Blue members don't need more miles "now", they've been needing more miles for as long as I can remember (maybe not always, I don't know and I won't bother searching, but certainly for more than a few years now).
Blue->Silver: 12.000/24.000 miles
Silver->Silver: 8.000/16.000 miles
Blue->Gold: 24.000/48.000 36.000/72.000 miles
Silver->Gold: 24.000/48.000 miles
Gold->Gold: 12.000/24.000 miles
That's all very easy to find on Aegean's website..
Why did you think that blue members now didn't need more miles?
I think Aegean's move to extend status expiry dates is a good (and by now certainly necessary) gesture. But at the same time causing/leaving status miles in blue accounts to zero out without extending them is not something to be left uncommented.
You make it sound (you actually make a pretty clear point) that you are satisfied that Aegean left blue members out of the extension, so that fewer people can attain gold (as if more gold members would result in them taking some existing gold's privileges away), but this isn't a change in Aegean's policy that makes gold more difficult to get, it's a "we don't give a $#i& about you non-golds" in times where pretty much nobody is allowed to fly!
I would expect that you comment on people not welcoming the extension they have received, but commenting on those who were completely left out (to dry!)?

Now one thing I am not sure I have understood correctly is this: If someone is currently a gold member, let's say someone whose status expires on Nov. 23rd, and they get the 6-month extension all the way through May 23rd 2021... is it true that, as per current indication on their M&B account, they still only have until Nov. 23rd 2020 to get the miles required to extend/retain status? And if they manage to do it (status extended until May 23rd 2022), will they have from Nov. 24th 2020 to Nov. 23rd 2021 to extend their status from May 24th 2022 to May 23rd 2023??? If so, this is flat-out crazy, what is it going to look like in the future?? Requalification date and status validity will be 6 months apart? It might even benefit some people, but if it stays like that, I think it will only cause a huge mess, it is already looking like a big mess as I am trying to put those dates in writing!
edit: I am now guessing (also by reading some other comments) that they'll have a 6-month totally "dead" period for status miles from 24/11/2020 to 23/05/2021, where miles accrued will have zero value as status miles to get those dates to match again.... but that would be all the more reason to extend those qualification deadlines by 6 months! I mean wth?!

Last edited by giorginho; Apr 9, 2020 at 4:16 pm
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:58 am

,,Blue->Gold: 24.000/48.000 miles" No, its 36000
giorginho likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by giorginho
Now one thing I am not sure I have understood correctly is this: If someone is currently a gold member, let's say someone whose status expires on Nov. 23rd, and they get the 6-month extension all the way through May 23rd 2021... is it true that, as per current indication on their M&B account, they still only have until Nov. 23rd 2020 to get the miles required to extend/retain status? ...
No. At least for me, card validity and the "To maintain my tier I still need: x miles Up to" both has 23/05/2021 as end date in my account.
giorginho likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.