Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: re-qualification, A3 extends status and earning period by 6 months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer

I think I'm not alone in this.

at this point, I have no real appeal to travel, but I don't want to lose my gold card. Do you guys think they will be hard on this? Might do a few sas flights then for the sake of getting it done, but still..
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
It's much easier to retain than regain!

There might be an extension and there might not, nothing said yet and it's very early days. I've already qualified until November 2021 but if I hadn't I wouldn't wait until October to see if they were going to offer an extension or not!
irishguy28 and Tokyoite like this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Only speculation is available at the moment. M&B may or may not provide a reprieve. It’s a wait n see game. If I were you, I’d plan to book the flights required for requalification.
its simply, how badly do you want to retain gold?
im almost done for requalification but still have the whole year to get it done. I’ll chill till autumn and then decide.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Yreal
I think I'm not alone in this.

at this point, I have no real appeal to travel, but I don't want to lose my gold card. Do you guys think they will be hard on this? Might do a few sas flights then for the sake of getting it done, but still..
I have already re qualified. Id get those SAS flights booked and get it over with.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT

16. I am a Miles+Bonus member and I am worried about retaining my tier.

All the Silver and Gold members of our Miles+Bonus loyalty program which tier expires from March 11th up until April 30th,will have the chance to proceed as below in order to keep their tier:

1. Purchase 2.000 more tier miles, comparing to the current limit. Therefore every silver member is eligible to purchace up to 4.000 tier miles while every Gold member is eligible to purchase 5.000 tier miles.
  2. To purchase tier miles with 25% discount.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
This in fact isn't limited to members with status expiring till April 30th but applies to everyone it seems.
So even if your status will expire later in the year you might want to take advantage of the discount.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
5000 tier miles for 375 euro? I will wait instead.
GUWonder and irishguy28 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
5000 tier miles for 375 euro? I will wait instead.
I wouldn't call it a good investment either.
But there might be people willing to bite the bullet and go with a purchase of (overpriced) tier miles over flying these days.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
This in fact isn't limited to members with status expiring till April 30th but applies to everyone it seems.
So even if your status will expire later in the year you might want to take advantage of the discount.
If your status doesn't expire for several months yet, then I would definitely wait this out. I expect that the largest cohort of status pax have their renewal in November, and this issue is not yet pressing for the vast majority of A3 status pax.

(At least A3 seems to recognise that it is of only immediate impact to those who clearly have no other way of requalifying in the last days/weeks of their year)
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I think it's quite a nice gesture, and will help those who need to requalify in the next few months but don't want to fly.

My year ends on 23rd March, but luckily I reached the threshold in January. My award flights next week AMS-TPE-LAX, however, look shattered to pieces right now!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
My A3*G was set to expire a few months from now, but I had already met the retention requirement.

If excess status miles rolled over so as to be good toward retention in future years, maybe A3 would have a few more takers on this offer.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest
My award flights next week AMS-TPE-LAX, however, look shattered to pieces right now!
That's surely not an Aegean or even Star Alliance award, surely?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: A3 *G
My renewal date is in 10 days, but luckily I took an extra flight at the end of February which means I've qualified already. If not, my (cancelled) flight to Venice next week would have been my requalification flight so I would have been forced to buy miles. I personally don't think a 25% discount is a very good offer, although it's something, I guess. Instead I would have like to see them grant the Status miles for flights which they've cancelled at short notice like this - at least for people with renewal dates in the next 3 to 4 weeks when they've actually cancelled the flight (thus forcing me not to fly even though I still would have wanted to do so). Just giving the status miles, not the award, would have cost them virtually nothing really so they have to be careful that this 25% offer doesn't get seen as an attempt to profiteer from the situation. That's how it feels to me.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
My problem and suppose other people also is hat I have requalified in miles IF! I can get those 4 Aegean flights to fly in June. Otherwise I am missing now 11.000 miles.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:40 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
My requal date is the typical 23 Nov. I usually qualify with one longhaul J round trip and four A3 flights. I won't / can't pay more than GBP 1500 for the longhaul which I would usually book around now, for travel towards the end of summer, but have already missed out on several sales because of travel uncertainty. And doing 20 SK flights (or however many are needed now with the cuts to earning) doesn't appeal to me any more

I just hope this ends in 2-3 months and Star airlines don't follow BA's (sensible) tactics where they raise prices post-slump to take advantage of pent-up travel demand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.