Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: re-qualification, A3 extends status and earning period by 6 months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-19: re-qualification, A3 extends status and earning period by 6 months

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:09 am
Suspended

I wished A3 could extend everyone to 31st December 2021, and everyone could do re-qualification in the calendar years of 2021. But 6 months extension is nice consider some members already qualified to end of 2021...
:D! likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:09 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hertz PC, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum, occasionally AS, LM, BA/Avios, Bonvoy.
This is great news, Aegean doing the right thing, certainly helps me as I had 2/3 long hauls panned for April/May to comfortably achieve re-qualification. I can't bring myself to care about upgrade vouchers or a new card!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:37 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by ClanJ
so wonder if the Mar date will now become the anniversary date?.
the 23NOV date has been etched in my mind for all these years....hopefully the anniversary date isnt permanently changed to 23MAY.... (small thing in the bigger picture)
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
the 23NOV date has been etched in my mind for all these years....hopefully the anniversary date isnt permanently changed to 23MAY.... (small thing in the bigger picture)
You'll have to get used to 23rd May from now on...

Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:02 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I'm very pleased with this and now qualified to May 2022 and six months seems about right.

While I have travel booked in the coming months I'm not really expecting any of it to happen over the summer but hoping a trip to Canada will happen in September but I'm also accepting that it may not.

I guess qualification dates have moved for everyone now so my next date will be in May 2023. It makes no real difference to me as I travel pretty evenly through the year with a slight increase in the last quarter and a small drop in January and February.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 5:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So if an A3*G initially had a membership year expiring in say June (2020) and already had met the A3*G retention requirements before the membership year was prolonged by 6 additional months, then the person will have A3*G status into December 2021 even if crediting no more flights to the A3 account?

Answer can be had from this:

Originally Posted by A3 website
For all the Silver and Gold members who have already accrued the requested number of miles for their tier retain, their tier is secured for 12 months post the extended tier expiration date.

For example, a Silver or Gold member, whose tier expires on 30/11/2020 and is extended for 30/05/2021 and has accrued the requested number of miles for tier retain, his tier is secured until 30/05/2022.

For all Silver and Gold members that have already secured their tier up until 2022, no extension of tier duration will take place.
So which of the A3 elites here is the luckiest one from A3’s bailout of its status members?
Tokyoite likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 31, 2020 at 5:53 am
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
the longest gold retention as of today would theoretically be September 28th 2022 (slightly less than 2.5 years from now)
-current gold until March 28th 2021 having just secured gold renewal with anniversary date of March 28th 2020.
-then done a first class one way flight for 12k miles and the additional 4 Aegean segments a day ago (on March 29th)
e.g. HND-LHR/FRA on ANA in F at 300% tier accrual, and then same day Aegean segments LHR/FRA-SKG via ATH return.
thus completing requirements to retain gold for another year, until March 28th 2022. (assuming the flight miles accrued all post on March 30th!)
-the 6 month extension means gold is now retained all the way until September 28th 2022 !

Last edited by Tokyoite; Mar 31, 2020 at 7:52 am
Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:38 am

While my Silver is extended all the way into 2022, I still only have until late November to earn my miles to upgrade to Gold. The extension is greatly appreciated and I expect to get the miles, but extending the earning deadline would have been nice.

Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I'm also pleased with this, a six month extension seems generous for everyone and it qualifies me to May 2022 so effectively I don't need to think about requalifying for twelve more months - though that won't change my travel patterns once normality can resume.

I do have a couple of long haul journeys to make over the summer of 2021 so I will qualify again very easily.

AFAIK, Aegean have led the way with this extension of status.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I don't think 6 months is enough, it should have been a year to include summer for most people....
justforfun likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If it wasn't, then that means you are happy to have a short 6-month qualification "year", running from 23 May to 23 November 2021....

But I agree with the sentiment - a 12 month extension is what I had been hoping for.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hertz PC, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum, occasionally AS, LM, BA/Avios, Bonvoy.
Originally Posted by Archon1995
While my Silver is extended all the way into 2022, I still only have until late November to earn my miles to upgrade to Gold. The extension is greatly appreciated and I expect to get the miles, but extending the earning deadline would have been nice.

That is not that difficult, surely? If there's some semblance of normality by, say, September, I'd say that's one of the easier elite qualifications to achieve.A single round trip Europe to Asia on SAS would probably do it - or US West Coast to Europe. If it's marginal add a connecting flight to earn minimum 600 miles per sector.

Last edited by 2P or not 2P; Mar 31, 2020 at 10:53 am Reason: Noticed OP's location
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the longest gold retention as of today would theoretically be September 28th 2022 (slightly less than 2.5 years from now)
-current gold until March 28th 2021 having just secured gold renewal with anniversary date of March 28th 2020.
-then done a first class one way flight for 12k miles and the additional 4 Aegean segments a day ago (on March 29th)
e.g. HND-LHR/FRA on ANA in F at 300% tier accrual, and then same day Aegean segments LHR/FRA-SKG via ATH return.
thus completing requirements to retain gold for another year, until March 28th 2022. (assuming the flight miles accrued all post on March 30th!)
-the 6 month extension means gold is now retained all the way until September 28th 2022 !
no; as posted in the FAQ (and screengrabbed in post 71 in this thread), any Silver or Gold member already having secured status the "normal" way up to a date in 2022 doesn't benefit from any extension.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I guess qualification dates have moved for everyone now so my next date will be in May 2023. It makes no real difference to me as I travel pretty evenly through the year with a slight increase in the last quarter and a small drop in January and February.
Qualification dates have moved only for those holding Silver or Gold and who have not yet met the tier retainment criteria in the current membership year.

Those who, in their current membership year, have already requalified for their current Silver/Gold tier, have a further year of that status added (up until a date in 2022) - but they see no change to their qualification year.

(As such, a Silver in this position, who was running for Gold, and who either gets Gold in their current unfinished year, or in the "first" year of their additional 2 years of silver still waiting to commence - will lose out on those two banked years
of Silver status. By going up to Gold, they clear their tier balance, reset their membership year, and then start afresh on a blank slate as Gold)

EDIT: except that Archon falls in this category, and his/her screenshot disagrees with how the FAQ explains their situation. This person, having already requalified for Silver, should have seen an additional full year added, and not the additional 6 months their screenshot suggests. My hope is that this is an error which will be corrected in the coming days. The status should show as retained until 23/11/2022 based on M+B's explanation of the scheme

Blue members also see no change to their qualification year.

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 31, 2020 at 11:28 am
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So my expiration used to be November 23rd like many. I'd already re-qualified for Gold for some time, and if I understand this means that:

- The current year that I'm in is extended by 6 months until May 23 2021 (14 months from now!)
- Because I already re-qualified my status is good for one more year from that date, until May 23 2022

This matches the date on my profile ("You have already collected the required amount of miles regarding the retention of your Gold tier. Your tier has been retained up to 23/05/2022").

My assumption is that at the end of my current year (May 23 2021) I'd get officially renewed, get new upgrade vouchers and can start collecting tier miles to re-qualify for 2023. Basically my current year has just moved up by 6 months.

While I understand that this is great for people who were having problems re-qualifying..for me this does not work out very positively. The flying that I'll be doing in the next 14 months will not help me in any way regarding re-qualification, and, I'd actually get fewer upgrade coupons this way. Perhaps I should open a second account to earn silver status there..getting those two coupons back
GUWonder and Tokyoite like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.