Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

COVID-19: re-qualification, A3 extends status and earning period by 6 months

COVID-19: re-qualification, A3 extends status and earning period by 6 months

Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:17 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,268
Originally Posted by powergean
,,Blue->Gold: 24.000/48.000 miles" No, its 36000
Sorry, thanks for the tip (I've updated my post).
giorginho is online now  
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:17 am
  #107  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 487
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by giorginho
Sorry, thanks for the tip (I've updated my post).
powergean is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2020, 3:20 am
  #108  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Heraklion, Greece
Posts: 7,536
Originally Posted by giorginho
I can't tell you if and what it is you are missing, perhaps you've held one and the same status for a bit too long to be accustomed to the rules for the rest of them?...{snipped down to the end}...
Yes, I do not read the rules for a status that I will fall back to when I stop flying (next year or so), I'll do it then, But, really, I don't understand why you get sort of angry just because I don't agree with everything you wrote. I have my opinion, you have yours, and the "only" argument in favour of mine is that, in my eyes, blue members are not the ones who are targeted by frequent flyer programs throughout the industry to expect a special treatment from any of those.

PS You say that I'm satisfied that blue members have more difficulties reaching higher status. I wrote "there was a time when (almost) everybody was satisfied that a few years back it became more difficult to reach gold. Now "we" complain about that?" I never agreed with that statement, which was used by FTers posting opinions to the effect that a gold tier is a status of distinction in today's society
KLouis is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2020, 6:24 am
  #109  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Paris
Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Posts: 318
Originally Posted by giorginho
Now one thing I am not sure I have understood correctly is this: If someone is currently a gold member, let's say someone whose status expires on Nov. 23rd, and they get the 6-month extension all the way through May 23rd 2021... is it true that, as per current indication on their M&B account, they still only have until Nov. 23rd 2020 to get the miles required to extend/retain status? And if they manage to do it (status extended until May 23rd 2022), will they have from Nov. 24th 2020 to Nov. 23rd 2021 to extend their status from May 24th 2022 to May 23rd 2023??? If so, this is flat-out crazy, what is it going to look like in the future?? Requalification date and status validity will be 6 months apart? It might even benefit some people, but if it stays like that, I think it will only cause a huge mess, it is already looking like a big mess as I am trying to put those dates in writing!
edit: I am now guessing (also by reading some other comments) that they'll have a 6-month totally "dead" period for status miles from 24/11/2020 to 23/05/2021, where miles accrued will have zero value as status miles to get those dates to match again.... but that would be all the more reason to extend those qualification deadlines by 6 months! I mean wth?!
Categorically, this is not the case. Like you said, that would be crazy, and there is absolutely no reason why it would be done that way (or why one would think it would be done this way).

I re-qualified in January and my status has been extended to May 2022. The requalification period is also shifted by 6 months. That is, I will have from May 2021 to May 2022 to requalify for Gold.

Last edited by blackball; Apr 11, 2020 at 6:30 am
blackball is offline  
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:19 am
  #110  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,268
Originally Posted by blackball
Categorically, this is not the case. Like you said, that would be crazy, and there is absolutely no reason why it would be done that way (or why one would think it would be done this way).
I would think that, because (contrary to what the title suggests) it was already reported a few posts above...
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32250878-post83.html
But yeah, it could have been a temporary glitch or them just forgetting about it in the beginning and taking care of it later on.
Originally Posted by KLouis
Yes, I do not read the rules for a status that I will fall back to when I stop flying (next year or so), I'll do it then, But, really, I don't understand why you get sort of angry just because I don't agree with everything you wrote. I have my opinion, you have yours, and the "only" argument in favour of mine is that, in my eyes, blue members are not the ones who are targeted by frequent flyer programs throughout the industry to expect a special treatment from any of those.
Your disagreement wasn't with my "opinion" but rather with the simple truth (that is also backed by the numbers I, or better Aegean themselves, provide, just your 2 questions again to see what I mean). Perhaps I did try the wrong approach though, this isn't a "we don't care about you blues" message, but rather "we're stupid enough not to think about you", because anyone who has gathered even a single status mile going backwards 12 months from March 2020 should be considered as a candidate for a higher status and should in this aspect be treated exactly like the holder of that status, who is "trying" (also by gathering miles, in fact fewer of them!) to retain that status. It has absolutely nothing to do with the privileges of a specific status, it has to do with (effectively) nullifying the value of a "product" that someone has spent money on acquiring (and from what I've read in this forum, Aegean has received for crediting the miles generated by flying on other Star Alliance carriers). Extending statuses isn't done out of courtesy (though you could argue that the airlines that rushed to extend them by 12 months, while still within the first weeks of the crisis did show a great deal of courtesy), but to avoid other sorts of issues (that would/could go as far as lawsuits). I can't even imagine them legally "getting away with it" if they don't extend the life of all status miles, existing in any type of account during March, by at the very least as long as it takes them to get the fleet back in the air.
Anyway I wouldn't want to get this discussion to turn into a "is a mile a currency?", or "what's the true monetary value of miles?" (even more difficult for status miles!) so I could agree to disagree with this serious, customer-unfriendly oversight.
giorginho is online now  
Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:09 am
  #111  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW London and NW Sydney
Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Posts: 6,286
Originally Posted by giorginho
I would think that, because (contrary to what the title suggests) it was already reported a few posts above...
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32250878-post83.html
From what I can see:

Gold > Gold: 18 months
Silver > Gold: no change - still 12 months
Silver > Silver: 18 months
Blue > Silver: no change - still 12 months

However there is a big difference between these "years": the Blue > Silver and Silver > Gold are based on a rolling year. Gold > Gold and Silver > Silver years are fixed from the date you moved up, if you retain the status year-on-year.

So a blue member doesn't need to earn *more* miles to move up. It's still exactly the same, but if there are no flights for 6 months then their tier miles in the prior 6 months are wasted.
Stewie Mac likes this.

Last edited by :D!; Apr 13, 2020 at 2:15 am
:D! is offline  
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:01 am
  #112  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,268
Originally Posted by :D!
From what I can see:

Gold > Gold: 18 months
Silver > Gold: no change - still 12 months
Silver > Silver: 18 months
Blue > Silver: no change - still 12 months
That's also, possibly (provided silvers also get the indication that they "have until X+6months to collect WXZY miles to reach gold"), not entirely true.

and

First of all everyone who got an extension of their silver status should, in theory, be able to continue accruing miles up to that 18th month, so an upgrade to gold should still be possible (what speaks against this?).
Secondly there are case where golds and silvers get "nothing" (already retained tier through 2022).
Thirdly the only thing they left out were blues with at least (75%) 9.000 miles... clear as day and nothing to do with status privileges as I already explained and you also admit here...
Originally Posted by :D!
...but if there are no flights for 6 months then their tier miles in the prior 6 months are wasted.
But anyway, why would a silver with 6000 status miles get to extend the validity of all these miles (they'll, at some point, have eligible miles from 18 months ago, which, again, I personally think is great!) and a blue with 11.999 status miles won't? You say...
Originally Posted by :D!
However there is a big difference between these "years": the Blue > Silver and Silver > Gold are based on a rolling year. Gold > Gold and Silver > Silver years are fixed from the date you moved up, if you retain the status year-on-year.
...and while the dates for retaining silver/gold are "fixed", you can still (re-)qualify on the basis of the rolling year! Say (for the sake of the discussion disregarding the current extensions offered) you're silver and only collect 7.000 miles in 12 months (of which let's say 6.000 in the last 10 months), you fall back down to blue, but you still have 6.000 qualifying miles and 2 months to get another 6.000 and re-reach silver. Or you're gold, have 11.000 in 12 months (10.000 in 10 months), then you still keep those 10.000 and can upgrade right back into gold if you fly 14.000. Surely that's much harder, but perhaps someone has a long-haul coming up that will get them there (in which case why on earth would I bother with a mileage run just 1 month before my long-haul that will give me back gold? that's another subject).
Originally Posted by :D!
So a blue member doesn't need to earn *more* miles to move up. It's still exactly the same,
wow....
Originally Posted by giorginho
... blue members actually need to accrue more miles to reach status than status holders!! ...
Originally Posted by giorginho
Blue->Silver: 12.000/24.000 miles
Silver->Silver: 8.000/16.000 miles
Blue->Gold: 24.000/48.000 36.000/72.000 miles
Silver->Gold: 24.000/48.000 miles
Gold->Gold: 12.000/24.000 miles
That's all very easy to find on Aegean's website..
Why did you think that blue members now didn't need more miles?
I still have no idea why this is so hard to simply... read! The reference to "now" isn't mine, I never wrote it that way (as in comparing now vs before, I just compared blue to other statuses from my very 1st post here and just in general !!) Even with the rolling vs. non-rolling year, in a 'normal' scenario a blue always needs more miles to get silver, than a silver does to retain silver. In a 'worst-case' scenario the silver gets downgraded and as I already described above he's "another blue" for all purposes, retaining all miles from t-12 months (the status did expire, the eligible miles earned further back than t-12months also expired, but the rest of them did not!), so basically the same as a blue. Similarly, a downgraded gold is still better than a blue, because they just have to fill up the 'silver' pot within the 24k instead of 36k miles a blue would need.
These miles are still counted on a rolling 12-month basis! Aegean won't "force you" to stay silver if you've collected over 24k in 12 rolling months, regardless of when you were "downgraded" from gold to silver!
The status has a 12-month validity, but that's regarding downgrades and (again) only the status! Not the status-eligible miles!
But like I already said, perhaps people have gotten way too used to being golds and making their mileage runs in the last couple of months before the status (and perhaps just some of the miles!) expire.
PS. It isn't the ignorance that upsets me (on the contrary, I'm happy to provide valid information, I too was, and still am, ignorant to many things), but if someone can't read 1-2 simple sentences stating the obvious....
PS2.
Originally Posted by blackball
That is, I will have from May 2021 to May 2022 to requalify for Gold.
How certain is this? From what you describe, you must extended your status from November 2020 to November 2021. That means, that you would need to accrue miles to extend your status again from November 2020 and not from May 2021! Is this something Aegean has already somehow informed you about or did you simply base your calculation on previous practices? edit and reply to self: you had already re-qualified prior to the extension, so miles gathered before the next "cycle" wouldn't count anyway, so that what you wrote is correct.
What I am a tiny bit more interested in are status holders that still haven't extended their status. I would like to see hard evidence that someone who had say 8.000 miles, counting miles from flights from early April 2019 (or even late March 2019) and got the 6-month extension, that these miles are still there (that the "you need to accrue XY miles until XX/YY/ZZZZ" still hasn't changed, even though they now have miles "older" than 12 months there. I know that my wish won't be easily fulfilled though, since nearly everyone here extends status in November each year... edit: Yes, this is also pretty clear from the

but since, like I said, most status holders won't fall in that category, I thought I'd ask someone who does to verify that it actually works that way.
PS3. Getting a bit tired of this (and no personal interest since I wasn't looking to upgrade from blue anyway)....

Last edited by giorginho; Apr 13, 2020 at 5:16 am
giorginho is online now  
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:48 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Paris
Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Posts: 318
Originally Posted by giorginho
I would think that, because (contrary to what the title suggests) it was already reported a few posts above...
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32250878-post83.html
Oops, I'm sorry, I missed that post.
giorginho likes this.
blackball is offline  
Old May 31, 2020, 4:33 am
  #114  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: France
Programs: A3 *G; AC
Posts: 409
I am now more confused than ever after reading a number of posts. Perhaps someone can answer my question considering the following details. I am Gold with a previous requalification date of 24/11 on any given year. I requalified on March 12, 2020 for Gold so my card is valid until 23/05/2022 with the 6 month extension. If I fly after 24/11/2020 and before 23/05/2021, will those miles go towards my next year's qualification or will they just be added to what I have already done. I guess I am asking if my qualification date remains in November or if it has migrated to May. Thanks in advance for clearing up my confusion.
hastuk is offline  
Old May 31, 2020, 5:25 am
  #115  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: GVA
Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Posts: 755
Originally Posted by hastuk
I am now more confused than ever after reading a number of posts. Perhaps someone can answer my question considering the following details. I am Gold with a previous requalification date of 24/11 on any given year. I requalified on March 12, 2020 for Gold so my card is valid until 23/05/2022 with the 6 month extension. If I fly after 24/11/2020 and before 23/05/2021, will those miles go towards my next year's qualification or will they just be added to what I have already done. I guess I am asking if my qualification date remains in November or if it has migrated to May. Thanks in advance for clearing up my confusion.
The qualification date moves with the status extentions - so only miles post 23/05/21 will count for requalification.
Carpacchio is offline  
Old Jun 4, 2020, 8:50 am
  #116  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: France
Programs: A3 *G; AC
Posts: 409
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
The qualification date moves with the status extentions - so only miles post 23/05/21 will count for requalification.
Thanks very much. I had been planning to fly before 23/05/21 to requalify. I guess I will put those miles somewhere else and do the Aegean requalification later.
hastuk is offline  
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:01 pm
  #117  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 102,103
Just saw a wave of accounts get emails noting that the accounts went from A3*S to A3.

Can't say it's a smart business move for A3 to downgrade accounts at all in the second, third or fourth quarter of this year (2020) or even well into 2021, and yet it seems like Aegean is sending out emails now noting that some A3 elite accounts have been downgraded this month.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:18 pm
  #118  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 102,103
Originally Posted by yauee
Try remind me on the 24th Nov 2020, shall screenshot the date to retain tier shall there be any
Any update?

At least for the following scenario:

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Speaking of an A3*G account which originally had a membership tier period expiring in May 2020 and had already met the retention requirements to keep A3*G status, it show the Gold tier has been retained until November 2021. So a 6 month extension of *G status. If the account is no longer used for flights, when will the account lose *G status? November 2021?
the answer to my question is now clear (unless and until A3 revises policy): such account would lose *G status in November 2021 (unless flying enough between now and the relevant date in November 2021 to retain A3*G).
GUWonder is offline  
Old Nov 24, 2020, 12:20 pm
  #119  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 487
?????????? i dont understand.
powergean is offline  
Old Nov 25, 2020, 1:05 am
  #120  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Posts: 472
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Any update?

At least for the following scenario:



the answer to my question is now clear (unless and until A3 revises policy): such account would lose *G status in November 2021 (unless flying enough between now and the relevant date in November 2021 to retain A3*G).
no changes on my app, still same

You have already collected the required amount of miles regarding the retention of your Gold Status

your tier had been retained up to 23/05/2022
yauee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.