Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
To prevent thread drift and separation, this is a consolidated thread to document all A3 actions/issues/solutions etc related to the COVID-19 virus. Several previously raised threads have been consolidated into this one. Others where the information and/or advice is now outdated because of the speed at which events move have been closed.

Please use this thread to document actions related to A3 only. General COVID-19 discussions should be made in the dedicated FT forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

This is your wiki, so please feel free to populate it with useful information as it emerges and evolves.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
S is the next booking class up from T. Maybe the seats you saw in T have been taken. And when you check back they might be released again. And taken again.... 1000's of people are re-booking every day and lots of people must be clicking through the screens, selecting flights, pondering... I'd keep trying over the next couple of days. There's no point actually checking for seats on the main booking system and then going to the re-booking page. That page has always shown whatever's actually available, in my experience at least. things should stabilize - I think a LOT more people must be cancelling than booking at the moment.
Well if a fare can be bought, it should also be rebookable. In any case I can use my vouchers, works for me either way
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by supatight80
Aegean canceled my flight due to depart on April 18 TBS ATH BRU

Called to ask for a refund since they flight is canceled. They won't issue refund but just a credit for future use.

Is that right?? They canceled the flight. Not me. I don't know when I'd be able to fly with Aegean in the future.

Chargeback?
They have to offer a refund, it's EU law.

And.....

Last edited by headingwest; Mar 17, 2020 at 1:10 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:48 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by headingwest
They have to offer a refund, it's EU law.

And.....
Hi Thanks for the information.

What are my other options? I called again and they refused to issue a refund back on my credit card. They said the best they can do is issue me a credit voucher good for this year. Well I'm not from Europe so its not like I can just fly to Athens or wherever they fly

Is best route credit card chargeback/dispute? Or are there any other options?

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
They are trying to fob you off. Write a formal letter (or use the web form) to escalate the matter, you need to get it in writing that they are refusing to refund.

I have no idea how the chargeback works, I've never used it.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of airlines trying to squirm out of paying refunds at the moment, or cancelling flights at the last moment in the hope that passengers will lose their cool and rebook at a later date. I noticed that Aegean has even removed any reference to a refund on their COVID-19 update page. This is very underhand.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:30 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Aegean canceled my flight due to depart on April 18 TBS ATH BRU

Called to ask for a refund since they flight is canceled. They won't issue refund but just a credit for future use.

Is that right?? They canceled the flight. Not me. I don't know when I'd be able to fly with Aegean in the future.

Chargeback?
This is very surprising. I have already received three cancellation notifications via email bay A3 in the past week, in and all three cases they readily agreed to provide me with a full refund when I talked with them (although they said this could take up to 25 working days). No issues or any sort of objections, impeccable phone agents.

These were all due to travel restrictions. In your case though I see no such travel restrictions by any involved authority, at least according to IATA (https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm). Since your light was cancelled less than 14 days before departure, it's up to the operating airline to prove that this was due to force majeure. Otherwise, you are entitled to a full refund as per EC261 to begin with. If moreover you were not offered an alternative that would get you to your destination with no more than a three hours delay, you are entitled to €400 in cash, unless you both agree otherwise with the airline (eg vouchers etc). You can check out the full legal text here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...r/index_en.htm

Either way I second headingwest's advice. Write to them, invoking the EC261 reference on their website that headingwest posted above. Keep it and concise and to the point. It's more likely that some person in CS more knowledgeable than a phone agent will handle this, and I fancy that they would be more careful anyway when reply in writing. Even if not, you will need to have proof of their denial if you are to take this further. In the meantime gather proof of the cancellation. An email or notification information of the cancellation. A screenshot from A3's website, flightradar or both airports websites showing the flight as cancelled, etc (which leg was cancelled by the way?)

You can also contact one of those online legal practices that specialize on EC261 claims, and send them a summary of the story with the proof you've gathered. They have a good sense of whether you stand any chances, so if they are willing to take up your case means that your on the right track. But do try get back to the airline yourself before resorting to using such an agency, as those leeches will withhold up to 1/3 of your compensation or even more.

And if you are only after a refund, and do not care about the compensation, a chargeback is always an option: It will be up to the airline to prove that you're on the wrong.
headingwest likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:31 am

Deleted. Double post due to slow connection (I am on a train).
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by East_and_West
This is very surprising. I have already received three cancellation notifications via email bay A3 in the past week, in and all three cases they readily agreed to provide me with a full refund when I talked with them (although they said this could take up to 25 working days). No issues or any sort of objections, impeccable phone agents.

These were all due to travel restrictions. In your case though I see no such travel restrictions by any involved authority, at least according to IATA (https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm). Since your light was cancelled less than 14 days before departure, it's up to the operating airline to prove that this was due to force majeure. Otherwise, you are entitled to a full refund as per EC261 to begin with. If moreover you were not offered an alternative that would get you to your destination with no more than a three hours delay, you are entitled to €400 in cash, unless you both agree otherwise with the airline (eg vouchers etc). You can check out the full legal text here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...r/index_en.htm

Either way I second headingwest's advice. Write to them, invoking the EC261 reference on their website that headingwest posted above. Keep it and concise and to the point. It's more likely that some person in CS more knowledgeable than a phone agent will handle this, and I fancy that they would be more careful anyway when reply in writing. Even if not, you will need to have proof of their denial if you are to take this further. In the meantime gather proof of the cancellation. An email or notification information of the cancellation. A screenshot from A3's website, flightradar or both airports websites showing the flight as cancelled, etc (which leg was cancelled by the way?)

You can also contact one of those online legal practices that specialize on EC261 claims, and send them a summary of the story with the proof you've gathered. They have a good sense of whether you stand any chances, so if they are willing to take up your case means that your on the right track. But do try get back to the airline yourself before resorting to using such an agency, as those leeches will withhold up to 1/3 of your compensation or even more.

And if you are only after a refund, and do not care about the compensation, a chargeback is always an option: It will be up to the airline to prove that you're on the wrong.
Thanks guys,

I decided to do a credit card chargeback/dispute instead. What Aegean airlines did of not refunding my ticket EVEN when they are the ones who cancelled the flight is borderline illegal.

Their stupid reason is because my ticket is non-refundable, even when THEY cancelled my flight, my ticket remains non-refundable.

Sounds like fraud/scam
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Thanks guys,

I decided to do a credit card chargeback/dispute instead. What Aegean airlines did of not refunding my ticket EVEN when they are the ones who cancelled the flight is borderline illegal.

Their stupid reason is because my ticket is non-refundable, even when THEY cancelled my flight, my ticket remains non-refundable.

Sounds like fraud/scam
Before you initiate a chargeback, you may want to check this out: COVID-19: Commission provides guidance on EU passenger rights. I'm assuming this is the official website, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Here's the relevant portion (bolding mine):

In case of cancellations the transport provider must reimburse or re-route the passengers. If passengers themselves decide to cancel their journeys, reimbursement of the ticket depends on its type, and companies may offer vouchers for subsequent use.
So, they can choose to offer vouchers instead of a refund, and it's up to them to decide.

Edited to add: Oops. Maybe I wrote too soon. I looked at the accompanying PDF, and it has this (again, bolding mine):
It appears that various carriers are offering vouchers to passengers, who do not want to (or are not authorised to) travel any more as a result of the outbreak of Covid-19. Passengers can use these vouchers for another trip with the same carrier within a timeframe established by the carrier.

This situation has to be distinguished from the situation where the carrier cancels the journey and offers only a voucher instead of the choice between reimbursement and rerouting. If the carrier proposes a voucher, this offer cannot affect the passenger’s right to opt for reimbursement instead.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Tennen
Before you initiate a chargeback, you may want to check this out: COVID-19: Commission provides guidance on EU passenger rights. I'm assuming this is the official website, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Here's the relevant portion (bolding mine):

So, they can choose to offer vouchers instead of a refund, and it's up to them to decide.

Edited to add: Oops. Maybe I wrote too soon. I looked at the accompanying PDF, and it has this (again, bolding mine):
That's absolutely right in both quotes. On the 1st quote, it said If the airline cancels, they must reimburse or provide different routing.

I didn't cancel. There is no A3 flight from TBS to ATH on April 18.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
That's absolutely right in both quotes. On the 1st quote, it said If the airline cancels, they must reimburse or provide different routing.

Yes, I know you didn't cancel. I misread the first quote to mean that they could provide a voucher instead of a refund even if they initiated the cancellation. I didn't realize that the PDF was saying the same thing. My mistake either way, but you're absolutely right that they still have to provide refunds and not vouchers if they cancel a flight.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Thanks guys,

Sounds like fraud/scam
The CC company will ask you to show that you tried to settle it with a3 first.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:58 am

I discussed this case on the LH forum while talking about the EU's announcement yesterday regarding passenger rights. This is a very good post from someone there.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32205608-post154.html
East_and_West likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
I discussed this case on the LH forum while talking about the EU's announcement yesterday regarding passenger rights. This is a very good post from someone there.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32205608-post154.html
Thanks. Unfortunately I had the same experience this morning when I contacted A3 about a couple of upcoming flights that I found out they had been cancelled without receiving any notification. The PA I spoke with was very friendly and professional as always, but insisted that I could only receive vouchers, and a refund was out of question, although it was A3 that had cancelled the flights. Mentioning that I still retained the right to a full refund didn't help. I chose not to push this any further since I doubt that there was much that she could have done anyway, and I guess that these people are already overwhelmed these days. So I thanked her and hang up without asking her to take any specific action.

This is unacceptable. Now I am gonna write to A3 requesting a full refund and bringing up the updated EC directive you mentioned. Although I do normally fly to Greece rather often, I am not sure if I will be able to put these vouchers in use before they expire if the present situation is prolonged, or even how things may look like when all this is over. But above all it's a matter of principle. Even SK, with all its deficiencies and flaws, still states clearly that travelers who've had their flights cancelled are entitled to a full refund. All others who wish to cancel their tickets themselves may choose to receive a voucher with value equal to the cost of their flight, to be used up to November. And note that this comes from an airline that has taken a much heavier blow from the coronavirus crisis than A3 has, as they have grounded the majority of their fleet (Denmark where their hub is located has closed its borders to non-Danish, even people from nearby countries that use CPH as their main airport), and their anyway limited long-haul network includes destinations only in the US, China, and Japan.

Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by East_and_West

Thanks. Unfortunately I had the same experience this morning when I contacted A3 about a couple of upcoming flights that I found out they had been cancelled without receiving any notification. The PA I spoke with was very friendly and professional as always, but insisted that I could only receive vouchers, and a refund was out of question, although it was A3 that had cancelled the flights. Mentioning that I still retained the right to a full refund didn't help. I chose not to push this any further since I doubt that there was much that she could have done anyway, and I guess that these people are already overwhelmed these days. So I thanked her and hang up without asking her to take any specific action.

This is unacceptable. Now I am gonna write to A3 requesting a full refund and bringing up the updated EC directive you mentioned. Although I do normally fly to Greece rather often, I am not sure if I will be able to put these vouchers in use before they expire if the present situation is prolonged, or even how things may look like when all this is over. But above all it's a matter of principle. Even SK, with all its deficiencies and flaws, still states clearly that travelers who've had their flights cancelled are entitled to a full refund. All others who wish to cancel their tickets themselves may choose to receive a voucher with value equal to the cost of their flight, to be used up to November. And note that this comes from an airline that has taken a much heavier blow from the coronavirus crisis than A3 has, as they have grounded the majority of their fleet (Denmark where their hub is located has closed its borders to non-Danish, even people from nearby countries that use CPH as their main airport), and their anyway limited long-haul network includes destinations only in the US, China, and Japan.

I would dispute with CC company immediately.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:04 am

Screenshot is from Aegean website, no refund mentioned for canceled flight, only a credit for a future flight. My flight on 13Apr2020 was canceled and I wasn't notified, as has been also mentioned by others on this thread. I tried calling their US-based call center twice and the call hangs up after the first auto menu. I submitted a cancelation request using their online email request form, will update thread of any response I receive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.