Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
To prevent thread drift and separation, this is a consolidated thread to document all A3 actions/issues/solutions etc related to the COVID-19 virus. Several previously raised threads have been consolidated into this one. Others where the information and/or advice is now outdated because of the speed at which events move have been closed.

Please use this thread to document actions related to A3 only. General COVID-19 discussions should be made in the dedicated FT forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

This is your wiki, so please feel free to populate it with useful information as it emerges and evolves.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KLouis
Well, your answer is not exact:

* First, the booking has to have been made before April 8, and
* You do get the normal award miles but not the additional ones.
* Lastly, how does the A3 deal/offer lead people to spend more? I'm not able to follow your logic!
Actually you can book after April 8th, because their policy is still that you can change new bookings to any date up to 27th March 2021.

The Award Miles I was referring to, are the bonus miles for changing the booking. Of course you'd still get the base fare Award Miles.

Lastly, Aegean have only offered this bonus because they know very well that they will be cancelling flights in May (like some airlines have already done). By encouraging people to rebook before the 8th April, they know that they won't have the hassle of people asking for cash refunds when they cancel - I'm guessing on the 9th! Customers will forfeit their legal rights to a refund by booking at a later date, just like they have been by accepting the vouchers. Obviously Aegean's strategy is to 'lock in' as much cash as possible, so that they don't have to refund. The website headline banner 'Change your ticket online at no extra cost, for whenever you want' is probably also to encourage people to make new bookings during these insecure times.

Anyway, it's worked...today I made some bookings!
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Anyway, it's worked...today I made some bookings!
For flights in May? And are you able to move them to a later date for free (and with no fare difference) now? I just want to make sure it really works for new bookings before booking myself.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:59 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pinni
For flights in May? And are you able to move them to a later date for free (and with no fare difference) now? I just want to make sure it really works for new bookings before booking myself.
Yes, for May and I am able to rebook right up until 27th March 2021 for free.
Pinni likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:40 am

Yes, for May and I am able to rebook right up until 27th March 2021 for free.
Great! Does it also work for OTA bookings or only for bookings made directly through A3 or OA? From the FAQs it is not very clear, it only mentions that the rebooking must be made va travel agent in case of cancelled flights. But what about the not (yet) cancelled flights in May? Is it possible to change them for free to a later date online even if the original booking was made through an OTA?
Old Apr 4, 2020, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Pinni
Great! Does it also work for OTA bookings or only for bookings made directly through A3 or OA? From the FAQs it is not very clear, it only mentions that the rebooking must be made va travel agent in case of cancelled flights. But what about the not (yet) cancelled flights in May? Is it possible to change them for free to a later date online even if the original booking was made through an OTA?
Once you have your PNR you are good to go...so whether it's a direct booking or through an agent, it's possible to change flights on Aegean's 'My Booking' function.

All my bookings were through online travel agents, and it works.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:14 am

Once you have your PNR you are good to go...so whether it's a direct booking or through an agent, it's possible to change flights on Aegean's 'My Booking' function.
All my bookings were through online travel agents, and it works.
Thanks for confirming that it works. I also just tried via an OTA and got the PNR, but the "My Booking" gives a message which reads:
Originally Posted by Aegean_My_Booking
Your reservation has been confirmed, but there was an error when trying to issue the ticket(s). In order to get your ticket number(s), please contact our Reservations Department at +30 210 6261000.

Changes and additional baggage purchase cannot be performed online for this booking. For more information please contact our Reservations Department at +30 210 6261000.
I am looking into making at least 3 (probably 4) different bookings this way and I would hate it if I needed to call every single time (for various reasons). This was my first ever booking using the swedish website of skyscanner. I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that I paid via "direct" bank-wire (no credit/debit card) in order to get the cheapest price... Doesn't really make much sense, that the PNR is there but the ticket number not!?
Booking class "P" and I even tried the upgrade challenge for this booking and it seems to be working...!
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by giorginho
Thanks for confirming that it works. I also just tried via an OTA and got the PNR, but the "My Booking" gives a message which reads: I am looking into making at least 3 (probably 4) different bookings this way and I would hate it if I needed to call every single time (for various reasons). This was my first ever booking using the swedish website of skyscanner. I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that I paid via "direct" bank-wire (no credit/debit card) in order to get the cheapest price... Doesn't really make much sense, that the PNR is there but the ticket number not!?
Booking class "P" and I even tried the upgrade challenge for this booking and it seems to be working...!
I assume that the travel agent has only sent you the confirmation number or PNR, but has not yet issued the e-ticket. That often happens with OTA's, and before you get the e-ticket you won't be able to change the booking (or select seats), because Aegean only has the booking as reserved, but not confirmed. Sometime it can take up to a day for the agent to send another e-mail with the e-ticket, and by then it will be listed in 'My Booking' and you are good to go.

Yes, P can rebook into any economy fare (I got an H!), but I don't know if that means they are eligible for upgrades with vouchers. Also I don't know if I will get miles for H instead of P!
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:49 am

headingwest Yeah, that's what I thought as well... so it isn't exactly "get your PNR and you're good to go", but it shouldn't be too much of an issue (I am just a bit anxious to get this over with, because they couldn't possibly need this little cash that badly that they actually planned for exactly how we're taking them up on their 'offer'). I just remembered that about 2,5 years ago I booked a ticket at around midnight for a flight that was due to depart 12 hours later and went to sleep without having received any ticket number, woke up the next day with one and took off :P.
I meant that the upgrade bidding is already active for the current P booking (not a very important piece of info, just making a point that Aegean can definitely see and confirm the booking, but with no ticket number the only thing that doesn't currently work is the re-booking). If the re-booking works out and the flights take place I won't care much about the miles that will be credited, this will save me either quite some cash or a bunch of miles (if I went for award tickets) and even if the grounding continues throughout the summer and I end up having to re-book again it won't be much of an issue, since I fly them regularly (as opposed to my 5th freedom flight FRA-MAD which now went to st).

Edit: Out of curiosity, can you check if your new H fare is allowing further changes and if yes, under what conditions?

Last edited by giorginho; Apr 4, 2020 at 8:56 am
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:57 am

Very true, 'the PNR and good to go' usually works though, because most agents issue the e-ticket immediately.

The Upgrade Challenge works on P tickets anyway (depending on the route), so that will not be an issue I suspect. Regarding upgrades using vouchers, I asked the call centre and they said they would get back to me on Monday, as they weren't sure...but they put me in I class and seat 1A for the time being. Might be a short time in that seat!
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:11 am

Edit: Out of curiosity, can you check if your new H fare is allowing further changes and if yes, under what conditions?
It is possible to rebook up until the end of March 2021, but anything above P fare costs more (it varies according to the the selected fare). So it's still free if you can find another fare that was originally booked.
giorginho likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:37 am

headingwest that's good to know, so no fee for the time being just the fare difference (for the 2nd re-booking). I assume, according to this indicator, that you will also get miles for P. Anyway, fares in early 2021 are currently mostly P, so even if I need to re-book a 2nd time I think I'll find something.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:47 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Does anybody have any experience with changing upgraded flights?

1. When the flight is canceled - what happens if the new date does not have upgrade availability? Note, flight is canceled thus not a voluntary change.
2. When the flight is canceled - what happens if the flight does not operate on the new dates, and you have to be routed to another city instead of direct? Can you maintain the upgrade on one of the segments?
3. When you use the new voluntary-changes policy but this cannot be done due to the upgrade. Will they allow changing it through the CS for free, maintaining the upgrade?
4. When you use the new voluntary-changes policy does the Fare code actually change to the lowest available, or is the original fare code maintained (even if no availability is shown)?

Has anybody tried any of these yet? I'll be trying to get these answered as they would be crucial to know for rebooking and upgrading my upcoming flights. As it stands now I have 13 flights canceled that need rebooking or canceling, about half of them upgraded in some way or another. I'd be looking to move to non-upgraded ones as far as possible out - or see to find ways to upgrade them.
Alexandros Bravos likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:52 am

headingwest that's good to know, so no fee for the time being just the fare difference (for the 2nd re-booking). I assume, according to this indicator, that you will also get miles for P. Anyway, fares in early 2021 are currently mostly P, so even if I need to re-book a 2nd time I think I'll find something.
Indeed, as per their website.

It's only (currently) for bookings up until the end of May, that the fare difference is being waived.
giorginho likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:19 am

Yeah, I think they already had that policy according to 7.1 in effect since mid-March, but back then it was for tickets booked until the end of March. Now they have extended that by 1 month. This might see one more 1-month extension... we'll see. Oh man, I was following their re-booking waivers and other offers since that time and was thinking that I should book some tickets before March 31st (we didn't know anything about the "May-rule" back then of course, but I actually had 2 "extended" weekends in May that I was looking at booking. Had I done that, I would now be getting miles on top of that. Oh well... )
Spoiler

Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
What has Aegeans policy been for basic bookings? Like have they have they been issuing refunds or credits?

I have a booking for early May that I have to cancel but I haven't cancelled it yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.