Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by RUAMKZ
What else is frustrating about the OA/A3 trips(aside from the elite mileage aspect), is the fact that you still have to pick up your bags and re-check back in.....due to "OA not having an agreement with UA". It's one thing going into ATH from another country, and doing customs in ATH(which makes sense, this is the first point of entry).....but this "non-agreement" slows things down, going home in the other direction.
Are you on separate tickets?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Had all the Gold benefits on IST-ATH : lounge and business class checkin.
But it's only working for Aegean Gold as I understood, I had TK gold card on ticket and have been refused lounge, accepted when showed A3 card.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
This is ridiculous BS

I've had different answers multiple times from different agents.
I have split itineraries where for example Rhodes->Athens->Malta or Thessaloniki->Athens->Tirana or Tel Aviv->Athens->Thessaloniki.
One leg is "Olympic" and the other is Aegean.
They want to charge 27 euro for luggage even though on the international segment I have * gold benefits and free luggage.
One guy (rudely) tells me I have to pay 27.
Another lady (very nicely) talks to her supervisor and charges me "only" 18 euro which is the domestic fee, and waives the phone agent fee (8 euro) since the website doesn't give me the option to pay 18.
Yet another lady (also nice, but apparently not as resourceful) talks to her supervisor and is authorized to charge me "only" 18 euro, but because it's over the phone has to charge the 8 euro, maybe not as nice a supervisor. Still, 18+8=26, one euro less, and there is the principle of the matter.

I think I will avoid flying Aegean in the future. The same itineraries through IST on TK or on Adria were all-*A and with none of this nonsense.

If only we could get enough travelers to boycott this airline over this horrible policy.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by vsevolod4

If only we could get enough travelers to boycott this airline over this horrible policy.
Alternatively, if you can't beat them, you can join them.

Qualifying for A3 Gold is laughably easy as long as you fly 4 sectors on A3/OA.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Alternatively, if you can't beat them, you can join them.

Qualifying for A3 Gold is laughably easy as long as you fly 4 sectors on A3/OA.
Never give in to evil ...
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:29 am

Well, boycotting A3 because of this policy would mean that, to consistent, one would have to also boycott LH, SQ, TH and a few more (only listed *A member airlines that came to my mind as an example)...
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
I've had different answers multiple times from different agents.
I have split itineraries where for example Rhodes->Athens->Malta or Thessaloniki->Athens->Tirana or Tel Aviv->Athens->Thessaloniki.
One leg is "Olympic" and the other is Aegean.
They want to charge 27 euro for luggage even though on the international segment I have * gold benefits and free luggage.
One guy (rudely) tells me I have to pay 27.
Another lady (very nicely) talks to her supervisor and charges me "only" 18 euro which is the domestic fee, and waives the phone agent fee (8 euro) since the website doesn't give me the option to pay 18.
Yet another lady (also nice, but apparently not as resourceful) talks to her supervisor and is authorized to charge me "only" 18 euro, but because it's over the phone has to charge the 8 euro, maybe not as nice a supervisor. Still, 18+8=26, one euro less, and there is the principle of the matter.

I think I will avoid flying Aegean in the future. The same itineraries through IST on TK or on Adria were all-*A and with none of this nonsense.

Doesn’t the most significant carrier clause apply in your case? If both legs of the ticket are on the same ticket, and the longer/international flight is on A3, A3’s terms apply, so as a *G you are entitled to one free bag.

Given that some OA GoLight tickets cost something like 30Eur or so, it is not surprising that *A benefits do not carry over. Think of the cost of (third-party) lounge access, gold track, etc... They would definitely make a loss selling at these prices!

The problem IMHO is that they do not always communicate this in a very clear way. Although nowadays they have admittedly improved a lot: I remember some years ago (when I was still SK*G) that we had a connection flight with “OA”: booked on A3’s website, A3 ticket number (390...), first leg A3, second (“OA”) leg with A3 flight number showing on the confirmation email and as turned out A3 metal. Arrived in ATH to find out that we were not eligible to access any lounge... In the end I used one of my A3*S vouchers to get in.

But even then I don’t recall paying extra for my luggage...
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
My experience : if using my A3 gold card = no problem, I don't even feel that I fly olympics (100% same experience end to end than flying A3 metal).
When using TK gold card : priority check in / boarding yes but no lounge access (even in Athens Schengen and non Schengen).
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:56 am

But it's quite commun, you got the same with LUXAIR, THAI Smiles, Andalujet, etc (all benefits for Miles and More members, no benefits for gold, even priority boarding and checkin).

You got the benefits if you are gold with the mother program but not with star alliance as those airlines are not in the alliance, sounds logical but of course should be nice that star alliance ask the airlines to include those airlines as "member partners" and bring the benefits for star alliance members.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Never give in to evil ...
Please also boycott LH - Eurowing, SQ - Silkair &, TG - Thai Smiles, BR - UniAir. You will be happy
frenchft likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by yauee
Please also boycott LH - Eurowing, SQ - Silkair &, TG - Thai Smiles, BR - UniAir. You will be happy
Could add BA as well since they only allow their CCR card holders to access their 'true' first class lounge (Concorde Room).

Anyway I am crediting my next flight to A3 even though I earn substantially more with LH, just to make sure I keep my A3 Gold for next year. The thing is, I can't even get around the issue by booking J as far too many of A3 flights I take don't even have J.

I've done my cost-benefit analysis and decided it's worth losing some LH miles by crediting a flight early to ensure I keep the A3 status (quite likely I'll have enough with just A3 flights but I wanted 'insurance'), despite LH miles being much easier to use. (I'm going to use A3 miles to book my husband's flight in Y...)

I guess A3's policy is working, and I am led by the nose by it. However, my view is that no-one is holding a gun to my head so it's all a fair game on A3's side!
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
This is precisely the reason. From what I have been told, even if you book with A3 flight number flying A3 metal, your boarding pass will still show OA flight number (maybe with "Sold As A3xxx" underneath?), consistent with flight being an OA codeshare flight. Perhaps this is the clue people should follow when determining whether it's a Star flight or not. Who operates the flight in a wet lease situation, strictly speaking, is irrelevant.

Vice versa, I know OA also operates some flights for A3 to/from Turkey and these flights are considered A3 and Star flights even thought they are operated by OA metal.

Don't forget. Star Alliance now has a Connecting Partner Model, where Star Gold will have access to benefits on a connecting itinerary, OA may be considering joining.
I am flying ATH-IST on A3 994, which is operated by Olympic. Checking in on the Aegean app, I got a notification that the free baggage allowance for *G is valid only for segments operated by Aegean. This is unexpected, esp after they recognized my status on two domestic flights operated by Olympic with OA flight numbers...
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by iaosac

I am flying ATH-IST on A3 994, which is operated by Olympic. Checking in on the Aegean app, I got a notification that the free baggage allowance for *G is valid only for segments operated by Aegean. This is unexpected, esp after they recognized my status on two domestic flights operated by Olympic with OA flight numbers...
They shouldn't really have recognised your status on the domestic flights, but they WILL on this one for sure. This is actually an Aegean flight (note the proper sequence flight number). It's confusing, but the flight number is the way to be sure. A3xxx are Aegean flights, even if operated by Olympic and OAxxx (A39xxx) are Olympic flights even if operated by Aegean. I hope that makes the water SLIGHTLY less muddy.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:54 am

I am not sure if it's mentioned already but A3/OA and TK have an agreement now. When Silver/Gold TK members fly on OA they can now accrue miles and they enjoy the same benefits as *A gold.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:19 am

The "OA flights" to IST (A3 992-995) are all A3 flights flown in a wet-leased OA turboprop. There is, therefore, no special agreement between A3/OA and TK as these count as regular *A flights. *G benefits are available to all *Gs, independent of the program their FF programme as long as it's *A.
LTN Phobia and Chr04 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.