Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by East_and_West
Yep, this is well-known. There is even a dedicated thread on FT:

Understandably this can be quite frustrating the first time, since this is rather poorly communicated, especially when it is a connecting flight you booked on A3's website. You see an A3 flight number on tour booking, you get to enter your *A FFP number, and so on. Even more so when after being denied the benefits you believe you are entitled to, you find out that it's in fact an A3 metal flight, with A3 crew. I have experienced that too as SK*G. But see it as an LH flight operated by Air Dolomiti, an LX flight operated by Edelweiss, a TG flight operated by Thai Smiles, etc.

As a rule of thumb:
-Greek domestic flights on OA (A3) - no benefits for non-A3*Gs
-Intra-European/international domestic flights on A3 (OA) - *G benefits for non-A3*Gs
Generally correct, with one small correction: flights ATH-LCA and back are also "flown" by OA, thus the restrictions concerning *A benefits are valid for those flights as well.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Hilton Gold, SPG lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Maker's Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by East_and_West
Yep, this is well-known. There is even a dedicated thread on FT:

Understandably this can be quite frustrating the first time, since this is rather poorly communicated, especially when it is a connecting flight you booked on A3's website. You see an A3 flight number on tour booking, you get to enter your *A FFP number, and so on. Even more so when after being denied the benefits you believe you are entitled to, you find out that it's in fact an A3 metal flight, with A3 crew. I have experienced that too as SK*G. But see it as an LH flight operated by Air Dolomiti, an LX flight operated by Edelweiss, a TG flight operated by Thai Smiles, etc.

As a rule of thumb:
-Greek domestic flights on OA (A3) - no benefits for non-A3*Gs
-Intra-European/international domestic flights on A3 (OA) - *G benefits for non-A3*Gs
Thanks everyone. I should have searched for A3 (and not Aegean) before posting
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:16 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
According to the Olympic Air website, miles can be credited to United (I picked one airline at random) except for fare classes I, X, N, R and F. In my experience with Aegean, it can also depend on the individual route.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 3:25 am

Extra bags for TK Elite (*G)

Do TK Elite get extra bags when flying A3/OA domestic flights in Greece?
Even when on GoLight fares?

Thanks.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Originally Posted by slacker
Do TK Elite get extra bags when flying A3/OA domestic flights in Greece?
Even when on GoLight fares?

Thanks.
On a3 flights, yes. Oa isn't in *.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Yreal
Not quite correct. (And this applies to TK only, not *A in general.) TK has a separate alliance with OA. I often fly OA and using my TK Gold card access the lounge etc.

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...s/olympic-air/
SK likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:15 pm

No A3 domestic flights, they're all OA (unless they changed something).
Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by sydunipete
Not quite correct. (And this applies to TK only, not *A in general.) TK has a separate alliance with OA. I often fly OA and using my TK Gold card access the lounge etc.

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...s/olympic-air/
Originally Posted by KLouis

Thanks for replying

Seems like the TK and QA alliance are not stated officially anywhere, although the above link points to the ability to earn miles while flying on OA.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by KLouis
OA metal perhaps, but I've definitely had A3 flight numbers of OA metal between Athens and the islands.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:35 am

Wrong: there are indeed bona fide domestic OA flights, all of which are flown in OA turboprops and maybe having code-share A3 flight numbers. The remaining OA domestic flights (e.g. ATH-SKG/HER/RHO/CFU/etc) are all flown on "wet-lease" A3 busses; they're code-shared with A3 but they count as OA flights. Not only you get no lounge access and 0 miles as a *G (unless there is an agreement between OA and the *A partner), you also have to check-in on OA's site when the flight is not sold as a connection to an international flight flying into Greece. There is a dedicated thread on this subject that is full of complaints, descriptions, rumours, you name it. The bottom line is that there are no (zero, zilch) regular domestic A3 flights that have regular, no code-share flight numbers neither to islands nor to anywhere else.
DELLAS likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
Damn, wish I had bothered to read this thread before booking some flights Traveling in a few months with family of 4, all on the same PNR, I'm the A3 *G and they are all OZ *G, guess no lounge access in Athens for them.

Just booked BUD-ATH-JTR, with BUD-ATH ticketed as A3 877 (A3 Metal), and connecting flight ATH-JTR ticketed as A3 7368 (OA metal).

It was weird, the online booking tool said we all got 1 piece of baggage BUD-JTR despite it being a Go Light fare, so I wrongly assumed all our *G benefits were being provided. Guess not. Great, now I can look forward to the check-in agent at BUD extracting his/her pound of flesh for the ATH-JTR leg.

I haven't booked the return JTR-ATH yet, should I just book a low cost carrier instead of wasting time with A3? JTR-ATH looks to be upwards of 110 euro for a 45 minute flight, as a Go Light fare excluding baggage etc on OA, so might as well save money I guess.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:37 pm

@cuzzybro I thought A3 *G were allowed one guest in the lounge for free (if travelling together) plus you have some lounge vouchers that your family could use (I mean if not family, what do you have them for?) or am I missing something?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by giorginho
@cuzzybro I thought A3 *G were allowed one guest in the lounge for free (if travelling together) plus you have some lounge vouchers that your family could use (I mean if not family, what do you have them for?) or am I missing something?
ah too true! I forgot that we get those coupons per membership year!

haha cheers for saving the day somewhat!
giorginho likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:36 pm

So just had a look at my account, and unless I'm missing the obvious, all I see are parking/valet parking vouchers for Athens, and Business class upgrade vouchers, no lounge vouchers...Am I missing something? I vaguely do remember lounge vouchers being a thing though...
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:34 pm

Just took a bit of a more careful look at the website and I probably mistook some other voucher offered to golds as being a lounge voucher... To my defense they do offer various vouchers. Silvers get 4x lounge access, then there are the 2x (S) and 4x (G) seat upgrades etc. I probably misread either one... Sorry
(maybe you can upgrade the family and get them even more psyched )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.