FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is A3 using OA flight numbers to deny *A benefits?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:20 am
East_and_West

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
I've had different answers multiple times from different agents.
I have split itineraries where for example Rhodes->Athens->Malta or Thessaloniki->Athens->Tirana or Tel Aviv->Athens->Thessaloniki.
One leg is "Olympic" and the other is Aegean.
They want to charge 27 euro for luggage even though on the international segment I have * gold benefits and free luggage.
One guy (rudely) tells me I have to pay 27.
Another lady (very nicely) talks to her supervisor and charges me "only" 18 euro which is the domestic fee, and waives the phone agent fee (8 euro) since the website doesn't give me the option to pay 18.
Yet another lady (also nice, but apparently not as resourceful) talks to her supervisor and is authorized to charge me "only" 18 euro, but because it's over the phone has to charge the 8 euro, maybe not as nice a supervisor. Still, 18+8=26, one euro less, and there is the principle of the matter.

I think I will avoid flying Aegean in the future. The same itineraries through IST on TK or on Adria were all-*A and with none of this nonsense.

If only we could get enough travelers to boycott this airline over this horrible policy.
Doesn’t the most significant carrier clause apply in your case? If both legs of the ticket are on the same ticket, and the longer/international flight is on A3, A3’s terms apply, so as a *G you are entitled to one free bag.

Given that some OA GoLight tickets cost something like 30Eur or so, it is not surprising that *A benefits do not carry over. Think of the cost of (third-party) lounge access, gold track, etc... They would definitely make a loss selling at these prices!

The problem IMHO is that they do not always communicate this in a very clear way. Although nowadays they have admittedly improved a lot: I remember some years ago (when I was still SK*G) that we had a connection flight with “OA”: booked on A3’s website, A3 ticket number (390...), first leg A3, second (“OA”) leg with A3 flight number showing on the confirmation email and as turned out A3 metal. Arrived in ATH to find out that we were not eligible to access any lounge... In the end I used one of my A3*S vouchers to get in.

But even then I don’t recall paying extra for my luggage...