Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Hey Miles&Bonus Folks:

Are seat upgrade coupons use-by or book-by? For example, if your membership year ends on March 31st, do the seat-upgrade coupons need to be used by March 31st on an A3/OA flight, or, simply booked by March 31st? Thank you.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:00 pm

It's upgraded by. The upgrade must take place before the expiry date. If you book the flight on March 25, call to make an upgrade on March 27, and the upgrade is put on a waiting list and the actual upgrade clears on April 2, it's not valid. The actual upgrade must take place before March 31.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by RedChili
It's upgraded by. The upgrade must take place before the expiry date. If you book the flight on March 25, call to make an upgrade on March 27, and the upgrade is put on a waiting list and the actual upgrade clears on April 2, it's not valid. The actual upgrade must take place before March 31.
Ahh gotcha, thank you. Then I guess it's down to the nuances of the upgrade-process... which I'm afraid I don't know much about haha. Under what conditions would they upgrade immediately over the phone? Requires an empty seat in business (e.g. C-space)? The only seat upgrades I've had were on waiting lists, and often only happened at the airport, so unfortunately I'm not familiar with how quickly they can happen.

I guess I can book some dummy flights in the summer or fall and upgrade them...
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:10 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Ahh gotcha, thank you. Then I guess it's down to the nuances of the upgrade-process... which I'm afraid I don't know much about haha. Under what conditions would they upgrade immediately over the phone? Requires an empty seat in business (e.g. C-space)? The only seat upgrades I've had were on waiting lists, and often only happened at the airport, so unfortunately I'm not familiar with how quickly they can happen.

I guess I can book some dummy flights in the summer or fall and upgrade them...
No, generic C-availability is not sufficient. There must be availability on booking class I to get an instantaneous upgrade. Otherwise, and provided that there is still a sufficient number of business class seats unsold, additional I-class fares are released about 48 hours prior to departure. But this is not an option for you given that your vouchers expire before then.

Notice also that if you upgrade a flight, then you can no longer make any rebookings online, even if it's a flex ticket. Any changes should go through their call center which entails a €20 fee (there is currently a corona waiver, but I don't know if this will still be the case in summer or fall). Even if it is, at the time when you rebook there will need to be I bucket availability in the flight which you would like to rebook into in order for the upgrade to carry over; otherwise your voucher will be simply lost.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by East_and_West
No, generic C-availability is not sufficient. There must be availability on booking class I to get an instantaneous upgrade. Otherwise, and provided that there is still a sufficient number of business class seats unsold, additional I-class fares are released about 48 hours prior to departure. But this is not an option for you given that your vouchers expire before then.

Notice also that if you upgrade a flight, then you can no longer make any rebookings online, even if it's a flex ticket. Any changes should go through their call center which entails a 20 fee (there is currently a corona waiver, but I don't know if this will still be the case in summer or fall). Even if it is, at the time when you rebook there will need to be I bucket availability in the flight which you would like to rebook into in order for the upgrade to carry over; otherwise your voucher will be simply lost.
Noted. One needs I-Space, not C-Space. And once a flight is upgraded, changes can no longer be made on the website. Thank you. (Aegean extended everyone's expiration so now there's some breathing room.)
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:55 pm

Also, just to confirm: tier miles earned during the current member-year do not roll over, to the next member-year? For example: Let's say John Smith's year runs from a hypothetical Jan 1st to Dec 31st and he needs 24k tier miles to retain Gold because he didn't do the A3/OA segments. If he earns a hypothetical 50k tier miles during the membership year, the extra 26k tier miles don't roll over to the following membership year, right?

Sorry to ask this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Correct, no rollover of tier miles for requalification.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
Correct, no rollover of tier miles for requalification.
Gotcha, thank you.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:16 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Ahh gotcha, thank you. Then I guess it's down to the nuances of the upgrade-process... which I'm afraid I don't know much about haha. Under what conditions would they upgrade immediately over the phone? Requires an empty seat in business (e.g. C-space)?
to add, the easiest way to check for booking class I availability is to search for business class award availability (mileage booking) on the same flight.
Same I space is typically used for award and upgrade. (not 100% fool-proof match, but you wont get automatic upgrade availability if there isn't award space open.).
in short, if you are flexibly looking at dates/flights where you can use your upgrade coupons, focus on booking cash tickets on flights that have award availability. once you book the cash ticket, call in to upgrade and it should clear for upgrade without need for waiting.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:24 am

Anybody knows if Hertz has stopped awarding miles?

I booked a car in Sweden last week with the A3 CDP, and I couldn't choose to credit the miles to A3 in the booking. The only option listed is to earn Hertzx reward points. I'm trying to book another car this week, and it's the same again. I've also tried with the SAS CDP, but it's the same. And if I try to book through the A3 web site, it claims that there are no cars available at the location.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Sapphire (BA Silver), Hilton Diamond
Some advice from the knowledgeable here please. If I book one of these Flex fares, what is the timeframe within which I can rebook. So for example if I book a flight next February, does that give me flexibility to rebook anytime within the subsequent year? Quite a basic question I know, but I've never booked Flex!
Old May 21, 2020, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest
Some advice from the knowledgeable here please. If I book one of these Flex fares, what is the timeframe within which I can rebook. So for example if I book a flight next February, does that give me flexibility to rebook anytime within the subsequent year? Quite a basic question I know, but I've never booked Flex!
Yes , !
headingwest likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 3:47 pm

Does anyone know what Aegean's plans are. Is it likely that they will cancel late June flights to/from places not included in the list of countries for 15 June onwards?
Old May 21, 2020, 8:22 pm

The "19 countries" have nothing to do with Aegean's plans. These include Australia, China and Japan that are not on the list of places flown to by A3. This is an open list that includes countries with an "epidemiologically" good record and more countries will be added on a regular basis...
Old May 22, 2020, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
The "19 countries" have nothing to do with Aegean's plans. These include Australia, China and Japan that are not on the list of places flown to by A3. This is an open list that includes countries with an "epidemiologically" good record and more countries will be added on a regular basis...
I understand that of course - but my point is more that there may be little point in flying to places currently scheduled, for those last two weeks in June, if they are not on that list? Ireland for example: not on the list and ROI has a quarantine in place as well, so surely that route for those 2 weeks would not be viable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.