FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Seat upgrade coupons (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/1632081-seat-upgrade-coupons.html)

vd0t Dec 11, 2014 3:31 am

Originally Posted by DELLAS (Post 23978403)
No issues upgrading if booked on a third party site or via a travel agent ^

^

flyer05 Dec 11, 2014 4:58 am

Everyone who has successfully upgraded: pardon my naïveté, but was it free or did you have to provide a credit card number to pay a difference in taxes?

ELAL Dec 11, 2014 5:39 am

Paid no fee.

NWIFlyer Dec 11, 2014 5:50 am

Originally Posted by ELAL (Post 23978759)
Paid no fee.

Yes, but where were you travelling from? Greece may well not charge different taxes for Y or J travel, but the UK certainly does!

KLouis Dec 11, 2014 5:54 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Okay, this is interesting, so this varies by the flight? At what point in the booking process this becomes fixed? Otherwise, how would you know where the coach section begins?

At the time of checkin you’ll see which seats are free for you.

Originally Posted by vd0t
Is it worth upgrading domestic flights? Do they even serve a hot meal on sub-1h flights?

I don’t think it’s worth it. There are two advantages: nice snack (no hot meal) and blocked middle seat (especially good in the summer).

Originally Posted by ELAL
…How do I reserve a seat, only via the telephone?
Where can I find a seatmap? none on seatguru.

Reservation only through the phone, unless you wait till CI is open (-48 hrs). No real need for a seat map if you’re in C. Ask for a row with a number lower than 5 (first row with shorter leg room), aisle or window.

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
…so it should be easier for them to manage seat assignments to ensure less people are forcibly moved if the need arises. However, I imagine the management process itself is probably very similar across the industry.

I guess you’re absolutely right. I always choose first row behind the curtain and I’ve never been re-seated (except for two upgrades at the gate/lounge) in hundreds of flights with A3, in contrast to a recent flight with LX!

nk15 Dec 11, 2014 7:07 am

It seems that the process of upgrading yourself and hoping to book your companion right behind you in the first seat of coach will be risky, as such first row economy seats may have already be taken by other Golds (and these seats tend to be booked first), or the economy cabin moves back resulting to a few, or at worst, many rows of separation (if last minute addition of a business row sends your companion to the back of the plane, middle seats, etc).

KLouis Dec 11, 2014 7:32 am

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 23979113)
...(if last minute addition of a business row sends your companion to the back of the plane, middle seats, etc).

As I said, I've never encountered that in about 500 flights with A3! But since there are two sides on the medal (and more ;)), if that happened you can look at it differently:

- that would finally leave you some time alone w/o your companion; or
- that would increase the joy of meeting your partner again upon arrival; or
- it would make your partner even more angry because if you are bussed in ATH or SKG, your partner would also be waiting inside the plane while you're already in the terminal; and so on...

Conclusion: Switch seats, you fly coach and your companion gets your seat up front (anyway, you didn't pay for it!). This would make your partner extremely happy and (s)he would make a "gift" tou you, especially since the with the second possibility above would still apply.

nk15 Dec 11, 2014 7:44 am

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 23979233)
As I said, I've never encountered that in about 500 flights with A3! But since there are two sides on the medal (and more ;)), if that happened you can look at it differently:

- that would finally leave you some time alone w/o your companion; or
- that would increase the joy of meeting your partner again upon arrival; or
- it would make your partner even more angry because if you are bussed in ATH or SKG, your partner would also be waiting inside the plane while you're already in the terminal; and so on...

Conclusion: Switch seats, you fly coach and your companion gets your seat up front (anyway, you didn't pay for it!). This would make your partner extremely happy and (s)he would make a "gift" tou you, especially since the with the second possibility above would still apply.

These are good points, except if your companion I apprehensive about flying, and the other one is a child, so the prospect of having your family scattered all around the plane is not ideal...

Regardless, can Golds choose specific seats for themselves and companions on the phone before the 48-hour window, because you cannot do that online I believe (at least not until online check-in opens).

Also, if your companions are on a different PNR (because it was cheaper to book tickets separately), can you choose specific economy seats for them on the phone when you call to upgrade yourself?

KLouis Dec 11, 2014 8:50 am

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 23979296)
These are good points, except if your companion I apprehensive about flying, and the other one is a child, so the prospect of having your family scattered all around the plane is not ideal...

Regardless, can Golds choose specific seats for themselves and companions on the phone before the 48-hour window, because you cannot do that online I believe (at least not until online check-in opens).

Also, if your companions are on a different PNR (because it was cheaper to book tickets separately), can you choose specific economy seats for them on the phone when you call to upgrade yourself?

One has read about many complains about A3's CS, basically because of the dismal show they produced with the new IT. Still, one should see the "human" side of A3's agents. Just my most recent example:

About 10 days ago, when I was called to change my booking due to the strike, the agent on the phone suggested that she could reserve seats for me and my wife (on a different PNR) for the return trip before asking whether she was gold or not (she hadn't checked her reservation as her outgoing flight was on a different day)!

What I think you should do is call them (yes, you can reserve your seat by phone before CI), say that you have a child with you and ask for a seat in the last row of the business class and a firm reservation for your child in the first row of coach (and your wife, of course). Then, during the flight, if a whole business class row is empty (happens often) you could even ask the purser whether she'd allow your kid to fly in the front with you. My experience with them says that they will fulfil both of your requests. Kids are Kings in Greece, they will never refuse anything to satisfy it!

nk15 Dec 11, 2014 9:07 am

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 23979630)
One has read about many complains about A3's CS, basically because of the dismal show they produced with the new IT. Still, one should see the "human" side of A3's agents. Just my most recent example:

About 10 days ago, when I was called to change my booking due to the strike, the agent on the phone suggested that she could reserve seats for me and my wife (on a different PNR) for the return trip before asking whether she was gold or not (she hadn't checked her reservation as her outgoing flight was on a different day)!

What I think you should do is call them (yes, you can reserve your seat by phone before CI), say that you have a child with you and ask for a seat in the last row of the business class and a firm reservation for your child in the first row of coach (and your wife, of course). Then, during the flight, if a whole business class row is empty (happens often) you could even ask the purser whether she'd allow your kid to fly in the front with you. My experience with them says that they will fulfil both of your requests. Kids are Kings in Greece, they will never refuse anything to satisfy it!

Ok, good suggestions, it is worth trying...This could work if you are close to the day of the flight (although kind of late for gold upgrades at that point), but at least the business/economy line may be more clear. I am not sure how "firm" a seat assignment on the first row of "moveable" economy would be 5-8 months before the date of your flight, but it is worth trying I guess....

Xandrios Dec 11, 2014 10:39 am

you could even ask the purser whether she'd allow your kid to fly in the front with you. My experience with them says that they will fulfil both of your requests. Kids are Kings in Greece, they will never refuse anything to satisfy it!

That may be the greatest trick for an upgrade - Its quite common to call people well into their 30s a 'kid' in Greece ;) Ax if things were only so easy.. :p

DELLAS Dec 11, 2014 11:34 am

. Kids are Kings in Greece, they will never refuse anything to satisfy it!

:D:D Very true.

iudex Dec 11, 2014 11:53 am

Originally Posted by flyer05 (Post 23978665)
Everyone who has successfully upgraded: pardon my naïveté, but was it free or did you have to provide a credit card number to pay a difference in taxes?

I have just upgraded my ATH-LHR (flex fare) flight, no fee:cool:

Knobbgb Dec 12, 2014 2:39 am

Well, I'm in rhe Aegean club at ATH right now (with a nice full stomafh after skipping breakfast), so I can confirm that the Silver loinge access coupons work a treat!

The lady on the front desk was very pleased: "Oooh, you're my first coupon!". Very friendly people.

DELLAS Dec 12, 2014 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb (Post 23984173)
Well, I'm in rhe Aegean club at ATH right now (with a nice full stomafh after skipping breakfast), so I can confirm that the Silver loinge access coupons work a treat!

The lady on the front desk was very pleased: "Oooh, you're my first coupon!". Very friendly people.

She must be a newbie , I know of at least 2 who have used them last week ;)