FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   Seat upgrade coupons (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/1632081-seat-upgrade-coupons.html)

Knobbgb Dec 9, 2014 9:49 am

Yay! :D I just managed to upgrade my ARN-ATH ticket in February to Business class and that was from the cheapest possible non-flex fare too. It was a U class ticket and originally only cost me 54 Euro all in!

The call was answered immediately, but it took 20 minutes to sort out and in the end, the VERY helpful rep. said he'd call me back, which he did after about 10 minutes. The flight now already shows as I class on the online system and I received the email immediately with the new details (new ticket number, but same PNR).

I asked also about the rules in general (to try to clarify some of the previous comments):

ANY ticket can be upgraded, so long as there is availability in I class.

This must be done at least 24hrs before departure.

A two-legged trip e.g. LHR-ATH-SKG would require TWO vouchers although he wasn't sure if you could just upgrade one leg.

The upgraded ticket includes all the business class perks including lounge access and two free bags (even if the original booking was GoLight with no bags).

I also asked about the lounge access vouchers (for us mere Silver plebs). These must simply be printed and presented at the lounge - no need to activate via the call centre. They are valid when departing on any *A flight.

I asked about issuing new cards. He said my new silver card will not have been issued yet and it will be "either at the end of this month or possibly next month".

All in all, a quite easy and pleasant experience. Can't complain about waiting 20 minutes and the call back really - I usually NEVER do anything on the first day it goes live.

Oh and...

Still, on the plus side the Christmas hold music wasn't unpleasant
"Santa Claus is coming to town" in Greek. Nice. :rolleyes:

KLouis Dec 9, 2014 10:19 am

Originally Posted by vd0t (Post 23967246)
Too bad they still don't answer their phones!

At what time do you call them?

vgang Dec 9, 2014 10:28 am

Just called Aegean, only two mins waiting time with Jingle Bells (English version for me) and upgraded the first leg of my LHR-ATH-LCA trip in January. One coupon to be used for each leg, I was told.

vd0t Dec 9, 2014 10:35 am

Upgraded on the Aegean portion of flight to Athens. Very smooth process, very happy customer! :)

jerry_greece Dec 9, 2014 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Knobbgb (Post 23967771)
ANY ticket can be upgraded, so long as there is availability in I class.

This must be done at least 24hrs before departure.

Thats good to hear! Too bad my next flights don't show availability in I class...

I wonder, can you upgrade an award-Y ticket (X class) to business...?

Air Rarotonga Dec 9, 2014 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by jerry_greece (Post 23969474)
I wonder, can you upgrade an award-Y ticket (X class) to business...?

no!..

Xandrios Dec 9, 2014 2:51 pm

Great to hear these good experiences :)

Has anybody tried upgrading a codeshare on A3 metal yet? That would be my next question, as I often transfer in MUC on my way to ATH. However when the feeder flight is LH the Aegean flight is usually a LH codeshare..

vd0t Dec 9, 2014 3:01 pm

The flight I upgraded was booked directly on the Aegean site, however, I wonder if anyone has had any success upgrading a flight booked on a third party site?

DJ Bitterbarn Dec 9, 2014 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by vd0t (Post 23969675)
The flight I upgraded was booked directly on the Aegean site, however, I wonder if anyone has had any success upgrading a flight booked on a third party site?

Beat me to that pressing question. I've got concrete plans to use my coupons but the flight I want can't be booked through the A3 site. I can get it to price on Orbitz, though. Would be very interested in finding out if this is the case. Also, the 'all fares' is promising, although I was just planning to book whatever was going to work.

And to add data points, yes, I had the coupons appear automagically as of this morning (Pacific time).

EAPflyer Dec 9, 2014 4:18 pm

I have a trip XXX - ATH - XXX booked through Expedia and I will try to upgrade both legs tomorrow (expert flyer is showing I3 on both legs). It is booked in GO LIGHT. I will report back.

Romanianflyer Dec 9, 2014 5:01 pm

How do you guys check online if there is availability in I class?

For me being based in CHQ it's no problem to call A3 for some inquiries, but might be useful information for people based people outside Greece here.

KLouis Dec 9, 2014 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn (Post 23969872)
...I've got concrete plans to use my coupons but the flight I want can't be booked through the A3 site. I can get it to price on Orbitz, though...

Which A3 flight can't be booked through the A3 site? This is a first! :confused:

HiroshimaFlyer Dec 9, 2014 9:29 pm

Often there are fare codes you can buy on other websites but which aren't available on A3's own site, especially where A3's site is showing no GoLight availability.

yyccdg Dec 9, 2014 10:03 pm

I managed to upgrade my flights booked on Expedia. I had a U class ticket from CDG to ATH roundtrip. Was on the phone for about 10 minutes, there was no waiting period, though I think it was around 630am Greece time, or 930pm Mountain. I just couldn't do the actual seat selection, he said I had to wait 15 or so minutes for the email to arrive which would allow him to select my seats. My wife had to use her own upgrade certs even though we are on the same PNR. He pulled both certs from our account, we didn't need the cert numbers, he wanted our dates of birth and email accounts as verification.

DJ Bitterbarn Dec 9, 2014 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 23971164)
Which A3 flight can't be booked through the A3 site? This is a first! :confused:

LHR-ATH-CDG as a OW. Prices just fine on ITA but unless I'm just missing it, I can't make it book on the A3 site.