Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
I'm trying to understand the "logic" of Aegean clearance of the seat coupons.
Called the 16th of September to upgrade 4 different flights I will take with my father in November. 1 flight was cleared upon calling, 3 waitlisted.
One of the 3 waitlists were cleared today, strange that it clears 44 days before the flight. Maybe they have made some I availibility this month?
Lucky for you... I did call and check from time to time, but mine was never cleared this year. I watched J availability, and it seems like the J seats were all sold anyways.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: A3*G, IB
On an upcoming segment run Switzerland-ATH-Spain (I know Greta hates me) the second segment always showed I availability, but the agent was convinced of the married segments rule and waitlisted me for both flights. Strange, because I thought I could upgrade just one segment if I wanted.

Finally, my upgrades went through seperately. The second segment with I availability about 30 days before departure, the first segment about 10 days later. Both upgrades happened after crediting about 5000 miles to my account (holiday outbound and 11 days later holiday flight inbound on *A). I suspected that mileage balance/mileage accrual could have influenced the upgrades, although I could not find a sense in that.

On the whole I must say, since these upgrade vouchers exist I have been lucky in using them. There is not one upgrade that did not get through, although they usually cleared between T-96 and T-72.

Last edited by EAPflyer; Oct 7, 2019 at 4:13 pm
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Slightly OT but while waiting to board an A3-flight spoke to a M&B gold member travelling in Y. Curious to know if his coupons were out he told me he didn't bother using them as it was too much hassle. He got lounge, etc. anyway through the card.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:09 am

True, I also didn't use any coupons this past year!
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by Gnopps
Slightly OT but while waiting to board an A3-flight spoke to a M&B gold member travelling in Y. Curious to know if his coupons were out he told me he didn't bother using them as it was too much hassle. He got lounge, etc. anyway through the card.
Sometimes you get the chance to buy cheap tickets in UTP fares. Paying more than 50€ extra for a ticket just to fly business class is only worth it if you value it that much. My parents without status like it when I can upgrade them for free but would never want to pay more for the benefits just because they do not value it. It is a nice to have but they'd prefer to travel economy, even if it is only €20 more to fly the front cabin.
Gnopps and palcsaky like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I don't really agree with that. Flying in business removes all stress factors from traveling, as well as the added comfort of having a wider seat and having both armrests for yourself.

Personally, after having flown exclusively in economy for many years, I really do appreciate being able to fly business. The coupons are a great help, especially if some friends pitch in. Yes it will require a more expensive fare but that's, IMHO, a very fair price to pay.
GBobon and Sir Pretender like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Sometimes you get the chance to buy cheap tickets in UTP fares. Paying more than 50€ extra for a ticket just to fly business class is only worth it if you value it that much. My parents without status like it when I can upgrade them for free but would never want to pay more for the benefits just because they do not value it. It is a nice to have but they'd prefer to travel economy, even if it is only €20 more to fly the front cabin.
It's a good point, and something I've been thinking about myself recently, with the deterioration of the food in Business Class, plus the full cabins now that they have the bidding system. As I said at the time, if you make something less exclusive, it becomes less desirable. Funnily enough, I actually get a much better feeling out of knowing I've snagged a really cheap fare (like LUX-ATH-LHR for €16), and am getting miles and fed along the way!

The food and drinks in J are probably worth a little less than €20, and the extra room is a nice bonus but not essential. I never choose Flex over Light fares, I rather wait until the first bucket of upgradable fares becomes available. I think my price point for upgradable bookings is around €30, and that is mostly because of the extra status miles towards requalification. Although I must admit, waving goodbye to the aircraft from the bus while the economy passengers are still on board does give me some kind of sadistic gratification!

Last edited by headingwest; Nov 8, 2019 at 12:51 am
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
Originally Posted by headingwest
It's a good point, and something I've been thinking about myself recently, with the deterioration of the food in Business Class, plus the full cabins now that they have the bidding system. As I said at the time, if you make something less exclusive, it becomes less desirable. Funnily enough, I actually get a much better feeling out of knowing I've snagged a really cheap fare (like LUX-ATH-LHR for €16), and am getting miles and fed along the way!

The food and drinks in J are probably worth a little less than €20, and the extra room is a nice bonus but not essential. I never choose Flex over Light fares, I rather wait until the first bucket of upgradable fares becomes available. I think my price point for upgradable bookings is around €30, and that is mostly because of the extra status miles towards requalification. Although I must admit, waving goodbye to the aircraft from the bus while the economy passengers are still on board does give me some kind of sadistic gratification!
My secret sadistic satisfaction is the moment you get a private bus in Athens for business class cabin.

I also pay slightly more just to use my upgrade coupons. I wanted to show that some people value some things differently in life (e.g. my parents).
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I also pay slightly more just to use my upgrade coupons. I wanted to show that some people value some things differently in life (e.g. my parents).
And if they don't have status, then I completely understand.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:19 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
...but if they don't have status they not only get the upgrade on board, but also free luggage (at 32KG) and lounge access. The luggage alone would probably be worth the <50 euro that you'd have to pay extra to get an upgradable fare class no?

I mean I fully get that not everyone travels weekly and a little discomfort (because lets face it, sitting in a narrow seat for hours is not very comfortable) would be fine. But there are more reasons why an (essentially free) upgrade can help. Looking at my parents for example - they fly once or twice a year and every time its a stressful thing, them being at the airport way too early to be sure to have enough time, and so on. Being able to take away that stress is already a worthy result

For someone traveling on a schedule (eg weekly), being able to not have to worry about the size of your carryons, overhead bin space, being able to use the lavatory without waiting in line, etc, probably has a value. For me it surely does.
Alexandros Bravos likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by Xandrios
...but if they don't have status they not only get the upgrade on board, but also free luggage (at 32KG) and lounge access. The luggage alone would probably be worth the <50 euro that you'd have to pay extra to get an upgradable fare class no?

I mean I fully get that not everyone travels weekly and a little discomfort (because lets face it, sitting in a narrow seat for hours is not very comfortable) would be fine. But there are more reasons why an (essentially free) upgrade can help. Looking at my parents for example - they fly once or twice a year and every time its a stressful thing, them being at the airport way too early to be sure to have enough time, and so on. Being able to take away that stress is already a worthy result

For someone traveling on a schedule (eg weekly), being able to not have to worry about the size of your carryons, overhead bin space, being able to use the lavatory without waiting in line, etc, probably has a value. For me it surely does.
I tend to agree that the upgrade coupons (and Euro-Business in general) are far more valuable to non-status pax. As a *G I get essentially all J airport benefits pre- and post-flight. Onboard I buy a seat in the front anyway since I have a hard time physically fitting my legs in their free seats in the back of the cabin, and I don't mind their Y service since this is usually of very high standard. Catering is of course better in J, but I although I enjoy a good meal, I don't fly premium classes to gorge on food, so this is a minor consideration for me, especially on a 2-3 hour flight. If I am hungry I can have a bite on the lounge anyway.

So I am not actively going after upgradeable fares. That said, if my flight happens to have been booked on such a fare anyway, I am of course more than glad to cash my vouchers
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This whole discussion I think proves the meaningless of having status or flying J within Europe, with the typical 1-4 hour flights. You may as well not bother. The airport food outside the lounges is far more superior than in the lounges (Europe has gourmet food tradition), and the elite/J benefits are just too limited, and A3 basically has made them useless with the devaluations.

It's all in our minds, really, and mostly lingering remnants of the now gone better days of having status with A3...Unless you obtain status naturally, with no extra cost or effort, it is not worth it.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by nk15
This whole discussion I think proves the meaningless of having status or flying J within Europe, with the typical 1-4 hour flights. You may as well not bother. The airport food outside the lounges is far more superior than in the lounges (Europe has gourmet food tradition), and the elite/J benefits are just too limited, and A3 basically has made them useless with the devaluations.

It's all in our minds, really, and mostly lingering remnants of the now gone better days of having status with A3...Unless you obtain status naturally, with no extra cost or effort, it is not worth it.
Couldn't agree more when it comes to flying intra-Europe J, and especially to not actively chasing status. Sometimes get the impression that for some people it would be cheaper (let alone easier) to just buy directly a J tickets the 3-4 times per year they truly need to fly instead of doing all these tedious mileage runs... But of course I may be wrong.

When it comes to *G benefits I have to disagree.
  • Fast track must have saved me from dozens, if not hundreds of hours of waiting up to now.
  • When travelling HBO in Y on full flights it enables me to find some overhead room for my bag over my seat and deboard immediately, especially if I have a connection flight or train to catch. When travelling with hold baggage priority baggage delivery (when applied) also saves time.
  • Although I may have an occasional lunch/dinner there, my main use of lounges is as a place with (relative) calmness, a table with a power outlet for my laptop, and a Wi-Fi connection where I can work in. In a surprisingly large number of airports (including ATH) there is simply no place to do that apart from the lounges. Not to mention that my home airport (ARN) and one of my most used airports (ATH) experience highly seasonal traffic, turning into madhouses in summer months. Then even grabbing a quick sandwich may require a long queue wait. And finding place to sit (let alone work) may be close to impossible.
  • In cases of IRROPS *G has saved my… day quite a few times, especially when stranded in intermediate airports and places I 've never been before.
  • On SK and LH-group flight *G quite often sends you in the front part of the Y cabin with the middle seat free.
  • During the recent SAS strikes having access to Eurobonus Gold line saved from literally hours of frustration holding the line and trying to reach their overwhelmed call center in order to rebook my flight.
I could really go on, but I believe I made my point clear
yurtripper likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by bearchemist
Update: My booked itinerary is MUC-SKG-ATH, ATH-SKG-MUC and intend to upgrade the international segments. Was a bit puzzled that both segments were waitlisted even though I can see business award (I) space on both A3 and UA databases. Turns out the first A3 agent applied my coupons on the domestic segments (go figure...), but luckily those two segments are out of award space (most other same day flights still have) so the upgrade coupons are not cleared yet.

I only realized this when I logged into A3 website to view my booking (two weeks after the first phone call), and found that the duplicate (waitlisted) segments are not what I wanted. Called again and the second phone agent fixed the situation in 5 minutes -- MUC-SKG upgrade is cleared immediately (matching the award space inventory) and SKG-MUC is still waitlisted.
Finished my trip this weekend and here is the recap of my first upgrade coupon experience:
1. MUC-SKG showed I-class availability on UA website, upgrade was cleared right away (two months out). Flight was credited to M&B the day after.
2. SKG-MUC had no I-class availability on UA website, was put on waitlist when calling Aegean trying to upgrade. It was cleared two days before the flight, and the credit showed up in M&B account two days after the flight.

Overall a pleasant experience. Being able to board directly from the SKG lounge is really good, but transferring there must clear security again which is a nuance.
romans likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by bearchemist
...{snip}...Being able to board directly from the SKG lounge is really good, but transferring there must clear security again which is a nuance.
Very true, but not for long: They're building a new terminal building and I expect that both boardings from the lounge and the "new" security screen will be features of the past when finished, a few months from now.
bearchemist likes this.

Last edited by KLouis; Nov 13, 2019 at 3:42 am Reason: small correction...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.