Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Snacky
This is the WIKI for the Aegean Airlines (A3) / Olympic Air (OA) Miles+Bonus frequent flier program. Please read all about it on their homepage: http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonus/

Please note that A3 is a Star Alliance (*A) member airline, OA is not.

If you have questions not answered in this WIKI or you can't find an answer on the A3 Miles+Bonus website, ask in the thread below.

Tiers (clicking on them takes you directly to the respective tier's Miles+Bonus benefits webpage)
BLUE
SILVER
GOLD

Miles
Miles are classified into two categories, tier miles and award miles.

Tier Miles determine the tier of the program to which the member belongs. These are miles that each member collects from qualifying flights with A3, OA and *A airlines in order to move through the membership levels to Silver and Gold, and then to retain those levels. They expire at the end of each membership year - any 'excess' miles beyond the Tier qualification do not carry forward into the following year.

Award Miles are miles that every member collects in order to redeem for redemption flights or other products and services. Award miles are accumulated from flights with A3, OA, *A member airlines and products and services of the program partners and do not expire provided the account remains active by crediting flights.

Tier advancement
Tier advancement is constantly evaluated and measured along a rolling 12 month period. This means your account will be upgraded as soon as you hit the requirements at any time, counting backwards within the last 12 months. A few days after a new tier threshold has been reached, there will be a "Card upgrade" transaction in your transactions overview.

SILVER
The BLUE member that accumulates 12K tier miles, including at least 2 flights with A3/OA, or a total of 24K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within 12 consecutive months, will be upgraded to the SILVER tier.

Upon the upgrade to the SILVER tier, the required 12K tier miles+2xA3/OA flights or 24K tier miles will be consumed instantly and the year start/end date will be reset. Any tier miles beyond the threshold will remain in your account for 12 months, and will therefore count towards any subsequent upgrade to Gold. All segments flown in qualifying for Silver will be reset to zero, so a further 4 segments will be required to qualify for Gold under the combined segment/miles option.

NOTE: In a scenario where you accumulate the required A3/OA flights some time after you already have accumulated more tier miles than what's required in the combined tier miles plus flights threshold (12K), but have not yet accumulated enough tier miles to reach the tier miles only threshold (24K), you will be instantly upgraded to the SILVER tier and your year start/end date for your subsequent GOLD upgrade will reset, but also be set to less than 1 year ahead in time (in effect the date of the first possible opportunity to reach the upgrade threshold for the GOLD tier), the date depending on when the last consumed tier miles for the SILVER upgrade were originally accumulated. A lesser amount of tier miles, equal to the difference between the remaining leftover tier miles and the qualification thresholds, will then be required for upgrade to the GOLD tier. BUT, be aware that tier miles expire after 12 months, and therefore expiration of older tier miles will continue all through your new membership year, meaning that in this scenario the "until"-date and qualification thresholds will change as time passes and more tier miles expire. Therefore, you'd be wise to check your account statement continuously and your transactions records rather accurately, to follow on which dates you previously accumulated your tier miles, AND when they expire, to plan your subsequent upgrade to the GOLD tier in the most effective way.

GOLD
The SILVER member that accumulates 24K tier miles, including at least 4 flights with A3/OA, or a total of 48K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, will be upgraded to the GOLD tier.

Tier retention
Tier retention is only evaluated at the end of each membership year (on the "until"-date in your account statement).

SILVER
The SILVER member that accumulates 8K tier miles including 2 flights with A3/OA or a total of 16K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within a period of 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, his/her status will be automatically extended for 1 year. If the member does not manage to accumulate the above within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the BLUE tier.

GOLD
The GOLD member that accumulates 12K tier miles including 4 flights with A3/OA or a total of 24K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within a period of 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, his/her status will be automatically extended for 1 year. If the member does not manage to accumulate the above within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the SILVER tier.

On reaching the retention criteria, the member's year-end date will not change, and the member's retained status will extend for 1 year from the year-end date (e.g. if the year-end date was 24th November 2015, the member's status will extend to 24th November 2016). The extension will however not be shown in your online statement until your status has been renewed (at the year-end date or immediately after). Also note that for retentions, any leftover tier miles exceeding the retention thresholds will be expired by the next time retention is evaluated, so thereby there are effectively no rollover tier miles helping you retain your status more easily.

Qualifying flights
For the purposes of accumulating either two (for SILVER) or four (for GOLD) A3/OA flights, the metal travelled on counts. So if A3 marketed, but another *A airline (or non-*A partner airline) operated the flight(s), they do not count. If another *A airline (or non-*A partner airline) marketed, but A3/OA operated the flight(s), they should count (might be subject to the online retro-claim procedure). Also note that there are some non-earning fare buckets on OA flights; these are not believed to count (if this happens to be the case, someone is bound to learn this the hard way; we'd very much like to hear your reports).

Tier and Award miles purchase (new)
SILVER and GOLD members may top up their accounts by purchasing additional tier miles in order to upgrade to the next tier or to retain their current tier. The maximum amount of tier miles that can be bought, are 1000 for SILVER members and 2000 for GOLD members (in increments of 500) priced at 10 eurocents/mile (€50 per 500 tier miles).
Award miles are also available for purchase, even for BLUE members. The maximum amount of award miles that can be bought is 50000 (in increments of 1000), priced at 2.5 eurocents/mile (€25 per 1000 award miles).
NOTE:All miles purchases are credited to your account immediately and are non-refundable.

Together Account (new)
SILVER and GOLD members may activate a together account and add up to 5 members (family, friends etc.), regardless of their tier. All the award miles earned by each member will then be automatically transferred to the together account, letting the head member of the together account make full use of the collective award miles balance for redemptions. There is also a setting in "Manage my together account" where you can allow or disallow members to see the transactions in the together account and to redeem miles on their own. Please note that all the members of the together account will still continue to receive their tier miles to their own personal accounts, in order to be eligible for status tier upgrade or retention.

Happy Miles (new)
Happy Miles is a unique service that allows you to spend up to 30% fewer miles on specific flights throughout the Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air network. Simply login to Miles+Bonus, select “Request award ticket” from the navigation list of your account menu and pick a happy mile flight. Keep checking in to find out about new destinations to come as happy miles flights are updated every three months.
Print Wikipost

New Program Details for M&B

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by Xandrios
The only exception to the rule are flights that stop but continue with the same flight number. For example A3 540 flies ATH-SKG-DUS as one flightnumber, with a short stop in SKG. That would only count as one flight. When you actually get out of the aircraft and change to a flight with a different flight number, it would be two segments.
How do they calculate the miles for such a flight? Do they use ATH-DUS, or do they use ATH-SKG-DUS? And in the second case, does the minimum amount of miles apply?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: A3
Originally Posted by ErnstH
How do they calculate the miles for such a flight? Do they use ATH-DUS, or do they use ATH-SKG-DUS? And in the second case, does the minimum amount of miles apply?
Miles are calculated as for direct flight DUS - ATH, so 935/1246 or 1558 miles for economy.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:24 pm

ATH-DUS 1240 miles (or 1247, who cares!) but how on earth do you get the 1558 figure?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by Xandrios
The only exception to the rule are flights that stop but continue with the same flight number. For example A3 540 flies ATH-SKG-DUS as one flightnumber, with a short stop in SKG. That would only count as one flight. When you actually get out of the aircraft and change to a flight with a different flight number, it would be two segments.
Yes, that makes sense. This is typical practice for most airlines, in my experience. A through flight counts as a nonstop.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: A3
Originally Posted by KLouis
ATH-DUS 1240 miles (or 1247, who cares!) but how on earth do you get the 1558 figure?
https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...es-calculator/

1558 for booking classes Y, M, B and H.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:12 pm

I see. Actually, the question was related to the actual distance used for the calculation (it is 16 miles longer if you fly through SKG) and not the miles you get credited based on your fare class.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by nieszprot
https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...es-calculator/

1558 for booking classes Y, M, B and H.
This could be because all A3 flights stop in skg so automatically all a3 flights get more mileage than direct flight which is what the a3 mileage calculator is reckoning
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by benberg2013
This could be because all A3 flights stop in skg so automatically all a3 flights get more mileage than direct flight which is what the a3 mileage calculator is reckoning
No, it's because these four fare classes earn 125%. As I wrote above, in real terms the stop at SKG only means 16 additional miles, which are not credited.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: A3 *G, BAEC Bronze, LH *S
Greetings to all, and apologies in advance if my question has been answered before, but I couldn't find anything relevant in the wiki.

So, is there any experience of how the upgrade from Silver to Gold is treated, when one already has more than the necessary 24k miles at the moment when he achieves the 4 A3/OA segments?

My wife reached gold last week, but it seems that the excess miles do not count for re-qualification. Is this correct, or should I ask for this to be adjusted?

Also, do you know if the tier miles of the 4th segment should count towards the requalification? At the moment they are not, but that might have to do with the timing of the posting of the flights. More specifically, we flew BRU-ATH on 15/09 and ATH-PAS on 16/09. The domestic flight appeared first and triggered the upgrade. As a result, the qualifying period is until 15/09/2017. The international flight showed up a few days later, but nothing changed. The missing remaining segments are however correctly counted, which adds to the confusion.

I hope this was not too confusing! Obviously I will give them a call, but I wanted to double-check with you first on what to expect.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by benberg2013
If you fly DUS-SKG-ATH on A3541, you get the miles for DUS-ATH. That the plane stopped at SKG has no impact on your mileage earning. You get the same miles as if you flew on the nonstop DUS-ATH A3841

If you fly DUS-SKG (i.e. get out and don't continue to ATH) then you only get the miles for DUS-SKG.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sihctr
My wife reached gold last week, but it seems that the excess miles do not count for re-qualification. Is this correct, or should I ask for this to be adjusted?

Also, do you know if the tier miles of the 4th segment should count towards the requalification? At the moment they are not, but that might have to do with the timing of the posting of the flights. More specifically, we flew BRU-ATH on 15/09 and ATH-PAS on 16/09. The domestic flight appeared first and triggered the upgrade. As a result, the qualifying period is until 15/09/2017. The international flight showed up a few days later, but nothing changed. The missing remaining segments are however correctly counted, which adds to the confusion.
Can you please provide a screen-shot of the "requalification target", or write it here? (i.e. XXXXX miles and 4 A3/OA segments, or YYYYY Tier Miles, before 15/09/2017)

(It is actually difficult to understand what has happened without seeing the evolution of the Tier Miles as they were added to the account.)

I believe that it is more advantageous to clock up the required 4 sectors before exceeding the reduced target in order to limit the loss of Tier Miles, if it is your intention to "activate" the lower thresholds.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:45 am

irishguy28 you are right, a picture is worth a thousand words!

I cannot post a picture right now, so I will write down the situation instead:

To maintain my tier I still need:
11,600 Tier miles including 2 Aegean or Olympic Air flights
or
23,600 Tier miles regardless of the partner airline

Up to 15/09/2017

My transactions
Code:
1 21/09/2016 Olympic Air Paros-Athens (PAS - ATH) - OA0061 - P  0  200 
2 16/09/2016 Olympic Air Athens-Paros (ATH - PAS) - OA0062 - P  0  200 
3 16/09/2016 FFP Department Card Upgrade                        0    0 
4 15/09/2016 Aegean Brussels-Athens (BRU - ATH)   - A30623 - S  0 1307 
.... ~30000 tier miles and 3 segments already there before this date (on top of the Silver requirements).
I agree that it makes sense to gather the 4 sectors before reaching the reduced threshold, but unfortunately this is not always possible!
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe that to be correct.

You (or your wife) achieved Gold on 15/09/2016 - not by pasing a Tier Mile threshold, but by the mechanism of sectors flown having slashed the threshold to below your current running total.

Despite having an "excess" of Tier Miles, you start as a brand new Gold on that date with 0 Tier Miles, and you have fully 1 year in which to accumulate 12k or 24k Tier Miles. [As such, tier miles earned before 15 September are meaningless - the important date is now 15 September 2017. Any of the "excess" Tier Miles will have expired by that date. Aegean won't look make a final decision on Gold renewal until that date - unless you rack up the required number earlier, starting from the qualification date]

You can argue that the "excess" Tier Miles were wasted - but that was as much by your (or your wife's) choice as anything. True, they didn't actually help in any way to gain Gold in this current year - but because you effectively invalidated them in the current year, the year in which they *should* have had an effect. They cannot then also count for next year, or count for next year instead. They were "earned" while still a silver, therefore in a different year.

In my own case, I exceeded the lower Tier Miles target of 12k in July, 4 months before the end of my qualification period. It was a longhaul flight that pushed me over the 12k target - by a considerable amount. But, currently, the account does not report any Tier Mileage for me. My qualification journey is apparently "suspended" until I pass the end of the current year. I have Gold achieved until Nov 2017, so my requalification period doesn't re-commence until Nov 2016. I do not expect the "excess" miles to be shown on my balance at that time....but if they are, I will come back in November and report.

(The normal continuous "rolling 12 month period" is suspended when you are Gold. You move to fixed 12-month periods based on the date you originally qualified for Gold)

I am pretty sure that, last year, having had to buy Tier Miles to push myself over the limit, the excess (which was then a much smaller amount) was also "lost".

When you are Gold, they actually want the flying to occur within a 12-month period of the (re-)qualification date.

(This is why it is better to clock up the required sectors first. While you delay in fulfilling this criteria, you are "wasting" the Tier Miles added above the 12 k target. In your wife's case, had the first 4 segments been A3/OA, she would have got Gold, and a new fixed year membership, on the date that the Tier Mile total exceeded the threshold. All subsequent tier miles - the ones that are now lost - would have then actually counted as the first Tier Miles in her first requalification cycle (so she would now have a much higher Tier Mile balance than the 400 she currently has).

Any flying after re-qualifying and the start of the next year is similarly "wasted" in terms of Tier Miles - meaning that, if you reach your Gold requalification target only 6 months into the year, the flying you do in the last 6 months of that year will not extend your membership further, or help you to requalify in the following (suspended) requalification cycle).

Don't feel hard done by - for everyone requalifying for Gold, any flying done during the fixed membership year in excess of what was required for adding a year, has no further effect. The person who accumulates 100k Tier Miles in their Gold requalification period starts the next requalifcation period no better off than the person who only just cleared the 12k Tier Miles level

At least now you are already halfway to the 4-segment target required for the lower requalification threshold!).

Last edited by irishguy28; Sep 23, 2016 at 6:28 am
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:48 am

Many thanks for the extended reply! I am not complaining in any way, I just wanted to clarify what is happening in this special situation (upgrading into Gold vs upgrading into Silver, where the excess miles counted towards Gold).

Regarding re-qualification, it was already clear to me that excess tier miles will be "wasted", but I anyway credit all my (mile earning) flights to M+B. No issues with this.

The transition from Silver to Gold occurred over a two-month span with some high-earning longhaul business flights early on, so unfortunately there was no chance to optimise the flight sequence!

Anyway, the only open question remaining has to do with the flight BRU-ATH. Normally the card upgrade date should be one day earlier, so I am hoping that the miles of the specific flight might count towards the new year. If they don't, that's fine, but my OCD won't be satisfied until I figure out exactly how things work!

I will keep you updated after my phone-call to A3.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by sihctr
Anyway, the only open question remaining has to do with the flight BRU-ATH. Normally the card upgrade date should be one day earlier, so I am hoping that the miles of the specific flight might count towards the new year. If they don't, that's fine, but my OCD won't be satisfied until I figure out exactly how things work!

I will keep you updated after my phone-call to A3.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but if I understand your situation correctly you already got things "pushed forward" by a day. Originally, the ATH-PAS segment was your 4th, so that triggered the silver --> gold upgrade.

After the BRU-ATH segment posted, it seems that there was a readjustment, giving you gold as of that segment. I read the data this way because you already have 400 tier miles towards the new year, but your transactions only show 200 from the ATH-PAS and 200 more from the PAS-ATH flights.

If they had kept the ATH-PAS segment as #4, you would only have 200 miles (from the PAS-ATH return segment) towards your new year.

Does that make sense? Actually, you should have a miniscule advantage, as you have one extra day to requalify for gold. Normally your program year would start the day you upgraded (in this case 15/9) and run for one year (to 14/9). However, since you "qualified" on the 16th and then got readjusted to the 15th, you have over 365 days to make the cut.

Happy flying!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.