Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Snacky
This is the WIKI for the Aegean Airlines (A3) / Olympic Air (OA) Miles+Bonus frequent flier program. Please read all about it on their homepage: http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonus/

Please note that A3 is a Star Alliance (*A) member airline, OA is not.

If you have questions not answered in this WIKI or you can't find an answer on the A3 Miles+Bonus website, ask in the thread below.

Tiers (clicking on them takes you directly to the respective tier's Miles+Bonus benefits webpage)
BLUE
SILVER
GOLD

Miles
Miles are classified into two categories, tier miles and award miles.

Tier Miles determine the tier of the program to which the member belongs. These are miles that each member collects from qualifying flights with A3, OA and *A airlines in order to move through the membership levels to Silver and Gold, and then to retain those levels. They expire at the end of each membership year - any 'excess' miles beyond the Tier qualification do not carry forward into the following year.

Award Miles are miles that every member collects in order to redeem for redemption flights or other products and services. Award miles are accumulated from flights with A3, OA, *A member airlines and products and services of the program partners and do not expire provided the account remains active by crediting flights.

Tier advancement
Tier advancement is constantly evaluated and measured along a rolling 12 month period. This means your account will be upgraded as soon as you hit the requirements at any time, counting backwards within the last 12 months. A few days after a new tier threshold has been reached, there will be a "Card upgrade" transaction in your transactions overview.

SILVER
The BLUE member that accumulates 12K tier miles, including at least 2 flights with A3/OA, or a total of 24K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within 12 consecutive months, will be upgraded to the SILVER tier.

Upon the upgrade to the SILVER tier, the required 12K tier miles+2xA3/OA flights or 24K tier miles will be consumed instantly and the year start/end date will be reset. Any tier miles beyond the threshold will remain in your account for 12 months, and will therefore count towards any subsequent upgrade to Gold. All segments flown in qualifying for Silver will be reset to zero, so a further 4 segments will be required to qualify for Gold under the combined segment/miles option.

NOTE: In a scenario where you accumulate the required A3/OA flights some time after you already have accumulated more tier miles than what's required in the combined tier miles plus flights threshold (12K), but have not yet accumulated enough tier miles to reach the tier miles only threshold (24K), you will be instantly upgraded to the SILVER tier and your year start/end date for your subsequent GOLD upgrade will reset, but also be set to less than 1 year ahead in time (in effect the date of the first possible opportunity to reach the upgrade threshold for the GOLD tier), the date depending on when the last consumed tier miles for the SILVER upgrade were originally accumulated. A lesser amount of tier miles, equal to the difference between the remaining leftover tier miles and the qualification thresholds, will then be required for upgrade to the GOLD tier. BUT, be aware that tier miles expire after 12 months, and therefore expiration of older tier miles will continue all through your new membership year, meaning that in this scenario the "until"-date and qualification thresholds will change as time passes and more tier miles expire. Therefore, you'd be wise to check your account statement continuously and your transactions records rather accurately, to follow on which dates you previously accumulated your tier miles, AND when they expire, to plan your subsequent upgrade to the GOLD tier in the most effective way.

GOLD
The SILVER member that accumulates 24K tier miles, including at least 4 flights with A3/OA, or a total of 48K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, will be upgraded to the GOLD tier.

Tier retention
Tier retention is only evaluated at the end of each membership year (on the "until"-date in your account statement).

SILVER
The SILVER member that accumulates 8K tier miles including 2 flights with A3/OA or a total of 16K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within a period of 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, his/her status will be automatically extended for 1 year. If the member does not manage to accumulate the above within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the BLUE tier.

GOLD
The GOLD member that accumulates 12K tier miles including 4 flights with A3/OA or a total of 24K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within a period of 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, his/her status will be automatically extended for 1 year. If the member does not manage to accumulate the above within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the SILVER tier.

On reaching the retention criteria, the member's year-end date will not change, and the member's retained status will extend for 1 year from the year-end date (e.g. if the year-end date was 24th November 2015, the member's status will extend to 24th November 2016). The extension will however not be shown in your online statement until your status has been renewed (at the year-end date or immediately after). Also note that for retentions, any leftover tier miles exceeding the retention thresholds will be expired by the next time retention is evaluated, so thereby there are effectively no rollover tier miles helping you retain your status more easily.

Qualifying flights
For the purposes of accumulating either two (for SILVER) or four (for GOLD) A3/OA flights, the metal travelled on counts. So if A3 marketed, but another *A airline (or non-*A partner airline) operated the flight(s), they do not count. If another *A airline (or non-*A partner airline) marketed, but A3/OA operated the flight(s), they should count (might be subject to the online retro-claim procedure). Also note that there are some non-earning fare buckets on OA flights; these are not believed to count (if this happens to be the case, someone is bound to learn this the hard way; we'd very much like to hear your reports).

Tier and Award miles purchase (new)
SILVER and GOLD members may top up their accounts by purchasing additional tier miles in order to upgrade to the next tier or to retain their current tier. The maximum amount of tier miles that can be bought, are 1000 for SILVER members and 2000 for GOLD members (in increments of 500) priced at 10 eurocents/mile (€50 per 500 tier miles).
Award miles are also available for purchase, even for BLUE members. The maximum amount of award miles that can be bought is 50000 (in increments of 1000), priced at 2.5 eurocents/mile (€25 per 1000 award miles).
NOTE:All miles purchases are credited to your account immediately and are non-refundable.

Together Account (new)
SILVER and GOLD members may activate a together account and add up to 5 members (family, friends etc.), regardless of their tier. All the award miles earned by each member will then be automatically transferred to the together account, letting the head member of the together account make full use of the collective award miles balance for redemptions. There is also a setting in "Manage my together account" where you can allow or disallow members to see the transactions in the together account and to redeem miles on their own. Please note that all the members of the together account will still continue to receive their tier miles to their own personal accounts, in order to be eligible for status tier upgrade or retention.

Happy Miles (new)
Happy Miles is a unique service that allows you to spend up to 30% fewer miles on specific flights throughout the Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air network. Simply login to Miles+Bonus, select “Request award ticket” from the navigation list of your account menu and pick a happy mile flight. Keep checking in to find out about new destinations to come as happy miles flights are updated every three months.
Print Wikipost

New Program Details for M&B

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Ah, OK, thanks, so it is designed in such a way that it effectively disadvantages people who end up flying a fair bit in a short period of time in some ways. Not that Silver is of any benefit anyway.
No, it doesn't. Everyone gets 12 months from a status upgrade to retain status or to climb to a higher level. And the more you fly, the easier it is to retain/attain. Aegean doesn't care how fast or how slow you do your flying - everyone gets the same 12 month period, from the last status upgrade/retention date, to do a set amount of flying.

If you "fly a fair bit in a short period of time" then you are increasing your chances of retaining/attaining faster.

I don't think I got any upgrade voucher. There is certainly no reference to it.
You really should check out your Silver benefits.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by irishguy28
No, it doesn't. Everyone gets 12 months from a status upgrade to retain status or to climb to a higher level. And the more you fly, the easier it is to retain/attain. Aegean doesn't care how fast or how slow you do your flying - everyone gets the same 12 month period, from the last status upgrade/retention date, to do a set amount of flying.
But doesn't that mean if you want to climb up to Gold from zero in <12 months you need 36,000 in that period and even 8+ A3/OA sectors if you had 4+ sectors when qualifying for Silver, but you could also spend your first 12 months working towards a Silver, and once you qualify, you can spend another 12 months earning the extra 24,000 to climb up to Gold (i.e. i.e. 24 months to earn 36,000)?

The balance seems to be tilted against those who end up going through miles quickly somehow, especially considering the ridiculously low re-qualification threshold?

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Well, book economy on one of the flights where you were going to book J and at least save some money. Also, remember that the upgrade vouchers can be used to upgrade somebody else, not just you.
Are they guaranteed instant upgrade at the time of booking though, not redemption space required or standby basis?

Even if it's confirmed I don't think it'll work for me because Flex Y fare incurs a change fee for 45 EUR? I usually want full flexibility when flying A3/OA.

Sorry about dumb questions but I am rather new to A3 (ex-BD and then M&M SEN escapee) and finding the whole thing quite confusing to be honest.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:13 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
But doesn't that mean if you want to climb up to Gold from zero in <12 months you need 36,000 in that period and even 8+ A3/OA sectors if you had 4+ sectors when qualifying for Silver, but you could also spend your first 12 months working towards a Silver, and once you qualify, you can spend another 12 months earning the extra 24,000 to climb up to Gold (i.e. i.e. 24 months to earn 36,000)?

The balance seems to be tilted against those who end up going through miles quickly somehow, especially considering the ridiculously low re-qualification threshold?
The disparity between initial and re-qualification is, we think, deliberate - A3 wanted to reduce the number of Gold members, so it made the qualification annual rather than just taking a flight occasionally, and hoiked the initial qualification levels upwards to encourage only relatively high mileage players as new members - particularly from the US. Of course, the majority of the membership is still based in Greece (or at worst Europe), and earnings on particularly domestic A3/OA flights is very low, so the retention criteria is much lower to reflect the difficulty in reaching even 12k miles with 200 mile domestic earnings.

That gap may close in the future as A3 gets closer to its desired balance - we don't know.

Are they guaranteed instant upgrade at the time of booking though, not redemption space required or standby basis?

Even if it's confirmed I don't think it'll work for me because Flex Y fare incurs a change fee for 45 EUR? I usually want full flexibility when flying A3/OA.
The upgrades rely on available redemption space or waitlisting, but if that space is available they are instant upgrade. If booking several months ahead, with some flexibility, they're an excellent way of getting into the J cabin for very little money. If booking close in, it's more of a gamble. There are also some apparent pitfalls with moving or cancelling an upgraded flight.

This thread will help: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...e-coupons.html

On the flexibility point, it depends what your definition is. All A3 tickets are changeable for a small fee (plus fare difference). You'd have to make a lot of changes before you came anywhere near the cost of a fully flex ticket.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:46 am

I'm not sure I'm understanding your argument completely, but it seems to me that there's no disadvantage for people who fly a lot. It may be a bit easier than normal for people who don't fly as much, as you can stretch it out over a longer time without penalty (as you point out), but it's still the same number of miles/segments whether you do it quickly or not, so I can't see how it's disadvantaging you.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
On the flexibility point, it depends what your definition is. All A3 tickets are changeable for a small fee (plus fare difference). You'd have to make a lot of changes before you came anywhere near the cost of a fully flex ticket.
I tend to book 2 weeks to a few days in advance and sometimes (or often) make changes at the last minute, mostly ending up on full fare. Probably not a good candidate for using an upgrade instrument of any sort.

I'm also embarrassingly bad at making redemptions
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:28 am
Community Director

I tend to book 2 weeks to a few days in advance and sometimes (or often) make changes at the last minute, mostly ending up on full fare. Probably not a good candidate for using an upgrade instrument of any sort.

I'm also embarrassingly bad at making redemptions
That's probably true if you want guaranteed J space. Mind you, as a former BDer I'm sure you know how to use the ANA redemption tools from the masterclass thread in that deceased forum so I don't believe the redemption bit! .

It's not unknown for there to be redemption space close in on many A3 flights, so it probably is worth a check on the occasions where your plans are likely to be a bit more concrete than others.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: A3 *G
(
True. If you make any changes to an upgraded flight you just lose the voucher and the upgrade and are moved back into your original booking class.

You must be able to find some friends or family to upgrade. Send your kids/parents/significant other on a holiday to Greece and upgrade them as a nice surprise!

Even if it's confirmed I don't think it'll work for me because Flex Y fare incurs a change fee for 45 EUR?
I'm not sure where you get that from. Even the cheapest of Flex fares (P,T and U class) are changeable free of charge (if you do it online, there's a 20 Euro fee otherwise) with only the fare difference to pay.

I'm really not sure what you're saying the problem is. From nothing to Gold in two years requires 36,000 miles and 6 sectors in two years. From nothing to Gold in ONE year requires 36,000 miles and 6 sectors in ONE year. The only thing slightly less favourable than some airlines is that you can't "double requalify" i.e. if you earn double the amount required for retention, some let you then requalify for two years all at once. With the amount of full-fare flying you seem to do, I really don't think you'll have any problem either way.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Jul 14, 2016 at 10:16 am
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:16 am

I'm really not sure what you're saying the problem is. From nothing to Gold in two years requires 36,000 miles and 6 sectors in two years. From nothing to Gold in ONE year requires 36,000 miles and 6 sectors in ONE year. The only thing slightly less favourable than some airlines is that you can't "double requalify" i.e. if you earn double the amount required for retention, some let you then requalify for two years all at once. With the amount of full-fare flying you seem to do, I really don't think you'll have any problem either way.
I suppose I'm mainly grizzly about all the A3 and OA sectors having "gone" when I became Silver and have to start again.

I wouldn't have minded it if they at least let me count the A3 and OA sectors for 12 months. I don't live in Europe and if the timing was wrong, those sector requirements may have prevented me from qualifying for Gold after the Silver reset even though I have had far more than 4 since I joined in May this year.

The 'excess' sectors don't seem to carry over from qualifying for Silver like 'excess' tier miles? Luckily I'll be back in Greece later this month but it could have been a silly situation where I have had more A3/OA sectors in the first 3 months of my membership than many Gold had in their current 12 months' membership but because I've 'lost' them when I became Silver, I can't qualify for Gold despite having enough miles or something like that. It would have been highly annoying.

I'm not sure where you get that from. Even the cheapest of Flex fares (P,T and U class) are changeable free of charge (if you do it online, there's a 20 Euro fee otherwise) with only the fare difference to pay.
€45 change fee was what I was seeing on the site the other day. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention though.

That's probably true if you want guaranteed J space. Mind you, as a former BDer I'm sure you know how to use the ANA redemption tools from the masterclass thread in that deceased forum so I don't believe the redemption bit! .
I've always been pretty rubbish at it - my BD was a 'natural' BD and not intentional BD, as in I was flying BD a fair bit and I made no effort to do much with it.
I only finally got to use them at the end of their life and found the process very painful (well I ended up talking to "D" man), then went to M&M, was a SEN for a while but got a bit annoyed with devaluation and a broken seat incident that was handled badly by LX, but started flying OA and because of that, A3 is pretty much about the only choice of crediting OA flights, hence A3 now).

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 15, 2016 at 6:27 am
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:49 am
Community Director

I suppose I'm mainly grizzly about all the A3 and OA sectors having "gone" when I became Silver and have to start again.

I wouldn't have minded it if they at least let me count the A3 and OA sectors for 12 months. I don't live in Europe and if the timing was wrong, those sector requirements may have prevented me from qualifying for Gold after the Silver reset even though I have had far more than 4 since I joined in May this year.

The 'excess' sectors don't seem to carry over from qualifying for Silver like 'excess' tier miles? Luckily I'll be back in Greece later this month but it could have been a silly situation where I have had more A3/OA sectors in the first 3 months of my membership than many Gold had in their current 12 months' membership but because I've 'lost' them when I became Silver, I can't qualify for Gold despite having enough miles or something like that. It would have been highly annoying.
No, they don't, and that's one of the downsides of the way it's structured. You will certainly have flown far more A3/OA sectors than me this year - as most of my miles have been with oneworld in maintaining BA Gold and reaching a GUF2, I've only taken the bare minimum four to get the lower qualification miles, although I will be very comfortably over the required number - just a bit shy of 24,000 if I hadn't taken the flights.

Excess miles do carry, of course, so there's a bit of a disconnect there. I suspect your flying pattern is not particularly typical of most M+B members, and to a certain extent you've fallen through the cracks here.

It also shows that everything is geared around restricting the numbers qualifying for Gold the first time by the relative difficulty, but the reward is once you get there.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:24 am

No, they don't, and that's one of the downsides of the way it's structured.
It's indeed a downside, although luckily I don't have to worry too much about it as I can easily fly the sectors this time round. It's just a bit annoying!

I suspect your flying pattern is not particularly typical of most M+B members, and to a certain extent you've fallen through the cracks here.
It looks that way and it feels very 'off balance' for me initially. The beauty though is that I'm double-dipping with working towards SQ PPS

It also shows that everything is geared around restricting the numbers qualifying for Gold the first time by the relative difficulty, but the reward is once you get there.
I am staggered at the extremely low requalification threshold. It seems like a joke. I intend to have two Star Gold statuses going at once in the future (A3 and SQ through PPS Club) so it will help that Aegean requalification levels are low as it'll enable me to 'fully' credit SQ for the majority of the flights rather than double dip all the time. It's more for finding somewhere to park OA flights but I want it to be useful, so to speak, and usually having a top status makes things easier to redeem etc (I'll probably be redeeming flights for my husband).

By the way thank you for all your help! It's clarified lots of things I was very confused about.

Do ask on BA forum or by PM if you need any info about BA GUFs - I go through a lot of those every year
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:22 pm

Good Day,

I have read the summary thread but I am unsure about two things:

-Let's say I need 1000 more miles to reach the silver tier, but my flight credits 5000. Will the whole 5000 miles be consumed when reset to 0 counting to gold, or wil the remaining 4000 miles be applied to gold membership, too?

-If it's not the case following scenario: I fly FRA-ADD-JNB on ET. FRA-ADD is enough to reach silver, and ADD-JNB will count towards gold. I assume it takes a few day to update my status to silver, and it will happen after the ADD-JNB flight is flown. Would the ADD-JNB still count for gold, as my account would still be technically "BLUE" at the time I have flown the flight, although I have already earned wnough miles with the FRA-ADD to be "legally" "SILVER"?

Hope this makes sense...
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:29 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by Reifel
Good Day,

I have read the summary thread but I am unsure about two things:

-Let's say I need 1000 more miles to reach the silver tier, but my flight credits 5000. Will the whole 5000 miles be consumed when reset to 0 counting to gold, or wil the remaining 4000 miles be applied to gold membership, too?

-If it's not the case following scenario: I fly FRA-ADD-JNB on ET. FRA-ADD is enough to reach silver, and ADD-JNB will count towards gold. I assume it takes a few day to update my status to silver, and it will happen after the ADD-JNB flight is flown. Would the ADD-JNB still count for gold, as my account would still be technically "BLUE" at the time I have flown the flight, although I have already earned wnough miles with the FRA-ADD to be "legally" "SILVER"?

Hope this makes sense...
Good news - your first scenario is what happens. You will have 4,000 miles carried over towards Gold. Note that any excess segments you have will not be carried though - these do roll back to zero on tier advancement.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:51 pm

Thanks very much. I realized there is a deal with Air China, if you book two returns in one ticket (i.e. FRA-BJS-SIN-BJS-FRA-BJS-KUL-BJS-FRA) it books in L class and gives you over 30K miles for approx 650 EUR.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:52 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
You managed to get two roundtrips ticketed on one single ticket?
Old Aug 5, 2016, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Yes!

Here's a screen grab from a German blog where I saw the "deal":

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.