Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Snacky
This is the WIKI for the Aegean Airlines (A3) / Olympic Air (OA) Miles+Bonus frequent flier program. Please read all about it on their homepage: http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonus/

Please note that A3 is a Star Alliance (*A) member airline, OA is not.

If you have questions not answered in this WIKI or you can't find an answer on the A3 Miles+Bonus website, ask in the thread below.

Tiers (clicking on them takes you directly to the respective tier's Miles+Bonus benefits webpage)
BLUE
SILVER
GOLD

Miles
Miles are classified into two categories, tier miles and award miles.

Tier Miles determine the tier of the program to which the member belongs. These are miles that each member collects from qualifying flights with A3, OA and *A airlines in order to move through the membership levels to Silver and Gold, and then to retain those levels. They expire at the end of each membership year - any 'excess' miles beyond the Tier qualification do not carry forward into the following year.

Award Miles are miles that every member collects in order to redeem for redemption flights or other products and services. Award miles are accumulated from flights with A3, OA, *A member airlines and products and services of the program partners and do not expire provided the account remains active by crediting flights.

Tier advancement
Tier advancement is constantly evaluated and measured along a rolling 12 month period. This means your account will be upgraded as soon as you hit the requirements at any time, counting backwards within the last 12 months. A few days after a new tier threshold has been reached, there will be a "Card upgrade" transaction in your transactions overview.

SILVER
The BLUE member that accumulates 12K tier miles, including at least 2 flights with A3/OA, or a total of 24K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within 12 consecutive months, will be upgraded to the SILVER tier.

Upon the upgrade to the SILVER tier, the required 12K tier miles+2xA3/OA flights or 24K tier miles will be consumed instantly and the year start/end date will be reset. Any tier miles beyond the threshold will remain in your account for 12 months, and will therefore count towards any subsequent upgrade to Gold. All segments flown in qualifying for Silver will be reset to zero, so a further 4 segments will be required to qualify for Gold under the combined segment/miles option.

NOTE: In a scenario where you accumulate the required A3/OA flights some time after you already have accumulated more tier miles than what's required in the combined tier miles plus flights threshold (12K), but have not yet accumulated enough tier miles to reach the tier miles only threshold (24K), you will be instantly upgraded to the SILVER tier and your year start/end date for your subsequent GOLD upgrade will reset, but also be set to less than 1 year ahead in time (in effect the date of the first possible opportunity to reach the upgrade threshold for the GOLD tier), the date depending on when the last consumed tier miles for the SILVER upgrade were originally accumulated. A lesser amount of tier miles, equal to the difference between the remaining leftover tier miles and the qualification thresholds, will then be required for upgrade to the GOLD tier. BUT, be aware that tier miles expire after 12 months, and therefore expiration of older tier miles will continue all through your new membership year, meaning that in this scenario the "until"-date and qualification thresholds will change as time passes and more tier miles expire. Therefore, you'd be wise to check your account statement continuously and your transactions records rather accurately, to follow on which dates you previously accumulated your tier miles, AND when they expire, to plan your subsequent upgrade to the GOLD tier in the most effective way.

GOLD
The SILVER member that accumulates 24K tier miles, including at least 4 flights with A3/OA, or a total of 48K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, will be upgraded to the GOLD tier.

Tier retention
Tier retention is only evaluated at the end of each membership year (on the "until"-date in your account statement).

SILVER
The SILVER member that accumulates 8K tier miles including 2 flights with A3/OA or a total of 16K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within a period of 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, his/her status will be automatically extended for 1 year. If the member does not manage to accumulate the above within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the BLUE tier.

GOLD
The GOLD member that accumulates 12K tier miles including 4 flights with A3/OA or a total of 24K tier miles regardless of *A airline, within a period of 12 consecutive months from the last tier upgrade/retention, his/her status will be automatically extended for 1 year. If the member does not manage to accumulate the above within the determined time, then he/she will be downgraded to the SILVER tier.

On reaching the retention criteria, the member's year-end date will not change, and the member's retained status will extend for 1 year from the year-end date (e.g. if the year-end date was 24th November 2015, the member's status will extend to 24th November 2016). The extension will however not be shown in your online statement until your status has been renewed (at the year-end date or immediately after). Also note that for retentions, any leftover tier miles exceeding the retention thresholds will be expired by the next time retention is evaluated, so thereby there are effectively no rollover tier miles helping you retain your status more easily.

Qualifying flights
For the purposes of accumulating either two (for SILVER) or four (for GOLD) A3/OA flights, the metal travelled on counts. So if A3 marketed, but another *A airline (or non-*A partner airline) operated the flight(s), they do not count. If another *A airline (or non-*A partner airline) marketed, but A3/OA operated the flight(s), they should count (might be subject to the online retro-claim procedure). Also note that there are some non-earning fare buckets on OA flights; these are not believed to count (if this happens to be the case, someone is bound to learn this the hard way; we'd very much like to hear your reports).

Tier and Award miles purchase (new)
SILVER and GOLD members may top up their accounts by purchasing additional tier miles in order to upgrade to the next tier or to retain their current tier. The maximum amount of tier miles that can be bought, are 1000 for SILVER members and 2000 for GOLD members (in increments of 500) priced at 10 eurocents/mile (€50 per 500 tier miles).
Award miles are also available for purchase, even for BLUE members. The maximum amount of award miles that can be bought is 50000 (in increments of 1000), priced at 2.5 eurocents/mile (€25 per 1000 award miles).
NOTE:All miles purchases are credited to your account immediately and are non-refundable.

Together Account (new)
SILVER and GOLD members may activate a together account and add up to 5 members (family, friends etc.), regardless of their tier. All the award miles earned by each member will then be automatically transferred to the together account, letting the head member of the together account make full use of the collective award miles balance for redemptions. There is also a setting in "Manage my together account" where you can allow or disallow members to see the transactions in the together account and to redeem miles on their own. Please note that all the members of the together account will still continue to receive their tier miles to their own personal accounts, in order to be eligible for status tier upgrade or retention.

Happy Miles (new)
Happy Miles is a unique service that allows you to spend up to 30% fewer miles on specific flights throughout the Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air network. Simply login to Miles+Bonus, select “Request award ticket” from the navigation list of your account menu and pick a happy mile flight. Keep checking in to find out about new destinations to come as happy miles flights are updated every three months.
Print Wikipost

New Program Details for M&B

Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
New Program Details for M&B

On the web now: http://www.newmilesandbonus.com/en
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
the new Miles+Bonu​s

Just in my inbox
Dear member,

We are happy to inform you that the new Miles+Bonus; the common loyalty program of Aegean and Olympic Air; is coming on the 24th of November to reward your trust, with even more benefits, additional services and new partnerships.

In the new Miles+Bonus, the common reward program of Aegean and Olympic Air:
• We have designed an even fairer way of accruing and redeeming miles, since the final amount of miles corresponding to each flight will be the result of both the fare category and the actual miles flown (for international flights).
• We offer more redemption options (based in the GoLight/Flex pricing policy) so that you can select your award ticket using less or more miles, according to your travel needs.
• We introduce new services, as per your request:
◦“Together” program that allows up to 6 people to collect miles into a common account.
◦“Happy Miles” service that allows you to redeem less miles in pre-selected flights.

• We launch a new “Silver” tier to offer significant benefits to its members, while all at once we enrich the benefits of the current tiers. At the same time, we are changing the way to upgrade and retain tier.
• We keep expanding our partner network to give you plenty of choices, as well as multiple ways to earn and spend miles, get exclusive discounts and enjoy privileges simply by displaying your Miles+Bonus card.

Kindly note that the new Silver Tier will be granted to the Blue members that have accrued more than 8,000 Tier Miles (including at least 2 flights with Aegean or Olympic Air) or 16,000 Tier Miles in total, within the past 12 months from the new Miles+Bonus launch date. Current Gold members will be automatically transferred to the Gold Tier, regardless of their past flight activity.
Find out everything about the new Miles+Bonus here.

Best regards,
Miles&Bonus
Aegean Airlines
Following the link the dreaded changes on reaching and keeping status:
Here is the link for the new tier qualification
Silver: 12k and 2 Aegean/Olympic flights or 24k within 12months
Gold: 24k and 4 Aegean/Olympic flights or 48k within 12 monhts

For requalification:
Silver: 8k and 2 Aegean/Olympic flights or 16k within 12months
Gold: 12k and 4 Aegean/Olympic flights or 24k within 12 monhts
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:46 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So there we go. No more freeloading, yearly renewal for everybody. 12K miles including 4 Aegean segments to retain Gold. For new members outside of Europe this pretty much means that Aegean is no longer a way to get cheap Star Gold status.

- New accrual rules based on distance for Aegean flights (No more static 1000 miles per segment)
- Spending is also based on the distance: 8 times the distance for an award. Eg: ATH-MUC is 950 miles, so the award would cost 7.6K in economy.
- Some flight awards will be available for fewer miles, the list of destinations presumably changes regularly.
- Award miles can be pooled between accounts, while tier miles are individual
- Tier and award miles can be purchased in a limited amount. Limit depends on tier.
- 20% extra award miles on OA and A3 flights for Golds, 10% for silvers
- At tier renewal 4 upgrade certificates to business class for Gold, 2 for silver
- Additional upgrades to business cost the same as economy awards (8 times the distance in miles)
- Silver (currently called Blue) members get 4 lounge visits, Gold keeps unlimited visits
- Silver (currently called Blue) members get advance seat allocation (like Golds already have)
- More benefits at ATH airport, eg free Valet parking

While the new benefits are great, the fact that qualification and renewal is set higher will be difficult for some. I do much like the fact that for the 4 required A3 flights, one would get 4 upgrades to business! Also silver (formerly Blue) will see many improvements.

Some questions:

- From what point will tier renewal count? At Nov 24, will everybody have 12 months to collect the 12K miles? Or -like the FAQ says- will the date of the card upgrade count? What if that was almost (or over!) a year ago?
- How much does it cost to purchase miles (Tier/Award)?
- Which fare classes are eligible for upgrades to business?
- Will all golds get 4 business upgrades directly on Nov 24? Or one year later?

Last edited by Xandrios; Sep 24, 2014 at 1:27 pm
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *G
Implications of New Requalification Requirements

All good things come to an end, I guess. Though the new terms for requalifying for Gold aren't that bad compared to other *A carriers, it changes the game for some.

Quoted from other threads, the requirement for requalification are:
GOLD
12,000 miles within 12 months (including at least 4 Aegean or Olympic Air flights) or a total of 24,000 miles, regardless of which airline you choose to fly with

I imagine that most of us are based outside of Greece and are now wondering if 24,000 is "worth it", especially for those of us who don't travel as frequently for work.

I, for one, will probably be unable to requalify with my current travel habits. How about everyone else?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I did about 12K miles in 2014 with Star alliance for personal use (25K including corporate flights), of which 2 with Aegean. I think i'll be fine, though there will be less corporate flights. While the (re) qualifications must be tough for some, I think that they actually are quite fair: Still much better than other competing programs.

Also there are added benefits. Gold will have to do four flights with Aegean, but each year one would also get four certificates to upgrade to business class for free. Thats a great advantage!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
I was a bit concerned (not too much, mind) about the requalification process, but ultimately I've more or less switched to A3 as my primary and do a lot more work travel, so I think the 24k shouldn't be a problem.

But the rest of it? Someone shatter my hopes but this seems positive.
Family miles? Great! MrsBarn is using A3 as her primary card anyway but doesn't have that much flying, so it'll be good to just pool award miles anyway (BtY is M&M JetFriends so no possibility there, but I can at least open an account for whatever earns better). But... from the table it seems to be only Silver/Gold? So... only useful if I can force them to fly more?

Bonus award miles on OA/A3? I may have to fly OA/A3 one of these days.
Purchase tier miles? Great!
Discounts on partner tickets (even domestically) is a nice touch that could cause us to go to Greece.

I'd like to see how the J upgrades work, but it is a nice touch that could sway some of our planning.

So while I had mentally prepared myself for the requalification world again (oh well) some of these changes have dulled the pain.

EDIT: Although it's a bit of a pity for anyone who missed out on Gold when it was easy. 48k from Silver is quite the devaluation.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Good to see another family program. Hope it will not be as restrictive as BA.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, BAEC Gold
http://www.newmilesandbonus.com/en

From what I see, gold is now 48k miles, 24k miles if flown 4 times in Aegean...

I can see many A3*G leaving the program

It was bound to happen, anyway.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by flozano
http://www.newmilesandbonus.com/en

From what I see, gold is now 48k miles, 24k miles if flown 4 times in Aegean...

I can see many A3*G leaving the program

It was bound to happen, anyway.
12k w/4 A3/OA flight is not that bad. But starting from scratch would be a pain because one would need 48k instead of 19k.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:18 pm

Frustrating, I just credited my first 4k to the A3 and have a 11k trip on a *A carrier next month. it won't be enough to qualify before the new rules and then I would need 48k. Should I/We status match to Turkish Airlines who are *A and Gold last 2 years. requal there are 37500 every 2 years or 25k in 1 year.
I don't know what to do about my next flight of 11k...I maybe should credit it to my old Aeroplan even though I lose that *Gold with them this year.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by gnof
All good things come to an end, I guess. Though the new terms for requalifying for Gold aren't that bad compared to other *A carriers, it changes the game for some.

Quoted from other threads, the requirement for requalification are:
GOLD
12,000 miles within 12 months (including at least 4 Aegean or Olympic Air flights) or a total of 24,000 miles, regardless of which airline you choose to fly with

I imagine that most of us are based outside of Greece and are now wondering if 24,000 is "worth it", especially for those of us who don't travel as frequently for work.

I, for one, will probably be unable to requalify with my current travel habits. How about everyone else?
If one qualifies right before the deadline, I wonder how it will work. My qualifying flight would be 5 days before the new program starts. Are UA flights instantly credited to Aegean? From what I can gather there is no minimum segment limit, so that is good.

Edit: Wow they downgraded A fares from 300% to 150%, not good.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
The question from Xandrios is the important one:

- From what point will tier renewal count? At Nov 24, will everybody have 12 months to collect the 12K miles? Or -like the FAQ says- will the date of the card upgrade count? What if that was almost (or over!) a year ago?

I guess this would affect a lot of people that switched back to their "home" miles program after reaching Gold on A3...
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:45 pm

This is a kick in the balls. I predict a lot of, especially non-Greek, people are going to jump off the bus. Also, the retainment requirements looks like any other airline to me?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
If one qualifies right before the deadline, I wonder how it will work. My qualifying flight would be 5 days before the new program starts. Are UA flights instantly credited to Aegean? From what I can gather there is no minimum segment limit, so that is good.

Can you please tell me where did you find this information?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Source of that info ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.