Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA PLAT FPC PLAT
What should I put into Google maps to find it?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 8:03 pm

For Google Maps, just find the hotel and zoom into as much as you can, eventually you will be in "street view" and you will it from ground sight line.

I wanted to see if anyone else been able to replicate what the poster did 6 months ago. 1) get free rooms w/ cert, 2) get garden suite upgrade, 3) get a room upgrade from garden suite to ocean suite?

If anyone else was able to do it, I would greatly appreciate any feedback and if you called hotel or the FPC directly.

Thank you,

PedroNY
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by PedroNY
I wanted to see if anyone else been able to replicate what the poster did 6 months ago. 1) get free rooms w/ cert, 2) get garden suite upgrade, 3) get a room upgrade from garden suite to ocean suite?
I just can't see that working. On my stay there a few months ago I called FPC to upgrade from garden room and maybe I got lucky but the agent at FPC got me an ocean suite. At one point a person at the hotel did mention I got an extra upgrade to what I was officially entitled too but I didn't feel it necessary to extend that conversation any further.

Overall I was very happy with our suite at the hotel and the whole experience at the Orchid. Good luck!
Old Jul 30, 2013, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Checking into the Orchid next week. Anybody been able to purchase gold lounge access recently? If so, how much?

Usually breakfast is included in the packages I buy. So I might just pay the breakfast plan if they offer it. I've been getting used to lounges, so I thought I would inquire about it.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Fairmont, SPG, AA, WN
Originally Posted by randys1
Great Rates and Great Dates offfer is almost too good to pass?

I dont know this island, I know the others, is this hotel located on the "Windward" side? If it is that would kill it for me, but I dont know this island.

I usually like Maui, but so so so much more expensive...

any reason NOT go to this island, this property, if one likes Maui?
Fairmont Kea Lani is twice the price, but well worth it IMO. I did not care for the Orchid.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:19 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mastermind
Fairmont Kea Lani is twice the price, but well worth it IMO. I did not care for the Orchid.
I'd be curious, what didn't you like about the Orchid. I personally like this property and it has a nice location, easily accessed from KOA
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Currently here at the Orchid and can't believe its been just over a year. We've been coming here for about ten years and its a great location, great people and seems like home to us. Will be staying for 8 nights.

Dining at Ruth's Chris currently tonite. You can buy GCs at Kona Costco. Prime Time prior to 6 pm. Makes for a great meal at a great price.

There is also a new restaurant Just Tacos at Mauna Lani shops to try out.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: Hyatt, Fairmont, SPG, AA, WN
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
I'd be curious, what didn't you like about the Orchid. I personally like this property and it has a nice location, easily accessed from KOA
WEll keep in mind i am comparing it to the Kea Lani. Alos, they were in the process of renovating the South tower, so i assume the North tower was next.

-Rooms were avg size (Kea Lani all Suite)
-Tried to sell Partial ocean views that did not exist.
-Gold club above us was extremely noisey (high heels, chairs moving)
-Bathrooms were disgusting
-Smaller pools, less attentive service, crappy lounge chairs, etc
-Kea Lani has the canoe expericence, Orchid has a cheap immitation that you can not per book
-Cockroaches

Anyone who has experienced both the Kea Lani and Orchid should attest to this.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mastermind
WEll keep in mind i am comparing it to the Kea Lani. Alos, they were in the process of renovating the South tower, so i assume the North tower was next.

-Rooms were avg size (Kea Lani all Suite)
-Tried to sell Partial ocean views that did not exist.
-Gold club above us was extremely noisey (high heels, chairs moving)
-Bathrooms were disgusting
-Smaller pools, less attentive service, crappy lounge chairs, etc
-Kea Lani has the canoe expericence, Orchid has a cheap immitation that you can not per book
-Cockroaches

Anyone who has experienced both the Kea Lani and Orchid should attest to this.
Sorry to hear of your awful experience. I'm in a renovated ocean front suite in the north tower and was told the south tower ocean front suites were the next to be renovated. I thought the room didn't need a refresh last year but they went and redid everything anyways. The suite is green themed.

Comparing this suite to Kea Lani's last year I've always thought the Orchid's appointments were superior. This is just comparing suites from my experience of staying in both properties for the past ten years.

Albeit I've never stayed in the Fifth floor on the north tower. It's always been the fourth floor in recent years. As fifth floor is often requested, the suites must see more heavy traffic. I like Kea Lani's location and beach better, overall feel. But the Orchid I like because you get pretty much guaranteed sun all year round with only 8 inches of rain per year at the Kohala Coast. I've heard three week spans at the Kea Lani where it rained al the time and no sun, complete winter vacations under rain. At the Orchid, the pools aren't like Kea Lani but there is the desert climate aspect. It's so dry here that all the grounds must be irrigated.

The Orchid ripped out the ocean front sand hot tub since last year. I'm actually quite upset about this because there is now only one pool and one hot tub now. The Lagoon is really nice for the kids and my wife prefers this beach to Kea Lani's for the kids as there are less waves and safer.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Aug 12, 2013 at 1:20 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:03 pm

got a stay here coming up and just realised we are going to be nickle'n'dimed a $18-20 self-park fee.

any tips to avoiding that or just suck it up?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA PLAT FPC PLAT
How much is valet? $22?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:31 pm

that was the price I remember reading on the website
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MLM JET
How much is valet? $22?
Correct

Originally Posted by mcdonalde
got a stay here coming up and just realised we are going to be nickle'n'dimed a $18-20 self-park fee.

any tips to avoiding that or just suck it up?
I was charged $15 per night for self parking. No resort fee. Parking is the resort fee, so I just put up with it over the years.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
The parking at the orchid is pretty liberal. Take a ticket (don't use your key), put it in the glove box, forget about it, drive out of the lot and the gate opens automatically - for EVERYBODY. It's really more an HONOR system than anything else. Unless you tell them you're parking in the lot nightly, there's no forced requirement to pay.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nmenaker
The parking at the orchid is pretty liberal. Take a ticket (don't use your key), put it in the glove box, forget about it, drive out of the lot and the gate opens automatically - for EVERYBODY. It's really more an HONOR system than anything else. Unless you tell them you're parking in the lot nightly, there's no forced requirement to pay.
Excellent roundabout.

One question: What would you say to the attendant unloading your luggage when they ask valet or self park?

I hate using my card when entering the parking lot, as the parking entrance then flashes welcome back room "???". What if a key gets lost/stolen without one knowing, and a thief goes uses the key to enter parking lot to have the room # flash. A security and privacy breach.. I don't like this new system, whether parking is free or not. It just takes someone to realize this loophole, and guests will start seeing their items vanish from their rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.