Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Ok.. now we've done both the Mauna Kea Clambake and Four Seasons Surf, Sand and Stars. Clambake is lobster heaven, and I mean big Maine ones. I deshelled 12 halves and our table went away really happy. Our 4 year old son really loved the food.. I would say this is the best lobster fest on the island. Surf, Sand and Stars is the best overall dining experience.. their lobster tails may be smaller, but their sushi/sashimi, steaks, ribs, fish, clearly outpaced the Clambake. But, for those who want lobster and nothing but, clearly the Clambake is the place to be.

A nice event at the Orchid was the Easter Brunch and events surrounding. Our little guy loved the Easter Egg Hunt, and egg coloring. He walked away with a couple bags of goodies and 2 stuffed bunnies, one for our infant son. The Easter Brunch was lavish and had rack of lamb, sushi/sashimi, prime rib, ham, seafood stations, and a all out dessert buffet. Nothing short of a spectacular festival. So a surprise as the Restaurant Manager Cynthia was gracious to our family. The regular cost of the buffet is $75 per person.. so for those planning spring break here, Easter Sunday brunch has alot of locals stopping in and enjoying the festivities.^

Hale Kai turned out to be really nice. We got the 'You Deserve it Package', for $299 plus tax, you get 2 ocean front massages, lunch at Hale Kai, cabana, and self parking. So we ordered the Lobster Fried Rice, the Korean Short Ribs and Ahi off the menu. We got the extra entree as the kids eat free counts only with a paid entree. So $13 bucks worth of kids food for a $22 entree.. So extra $8 get an adult entree and free food for the kid. Great deal!. the Virgin Lava Flow was nice and the Virgin Chi Chi (We bot don't drink alcohol). All in all, a great supper experience!^
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Golf Club Rentals: Utilized this FPC benefit while staying at the hotel.. They've got 5 right hand men sets and 2 left hand men sets. Usually if you book 24 hours ahead you should be able to get a set. I saw most of the sets, and the bags look relatively beat up, so well used. Hopefully they get a few more sets because golfing on vacation is a big hit with FPC members.

Suite and Room Upgrades: Key is whatever you book, you can use your certificate to get corresponding upgrade in a suite, except with ocean front with central reservations.

$25 certs: Used this cert for a haircut for my 4 year old son.. ^

Golfed at Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel.. Twilight is $75. If you golf at Mauna Kea, look at paying double. Hapuna and Mauna Kea is both owned by Mauna Kea. Better value if you golf Hapuna Beach Prince.. if you want bragging rights, golf Mauna Kea.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Sorry guys.. trying to settle down to this time change and finally getting a chance to post.. Lots of work with a couple of kids now, but looked at my infant son at brekkie today and it was worth it.. Anyways, we're still at the Orchid.

The free night cert applies from my memory to a Fairmont level room.. so applying a suite upgrade to it only gets you a partial ocean view suite at the Kea Lani. I checked with reservations, the hotel will not let us plats pay the difference and they're quite strict.. In fact, the reservations manager told Shelley that hotel policy nowadays than there are no further upgrades at check-in if the hotel has already granted guaranteed upgrades at check-in is no longer. We've been to Hawaii now six times over the past 7 years, and am a bit baffled that they are treating Plat members the way they do. Basically, on public websites, you can get free breakfast, amenity, guaranteed upgrade, etc. just by booking with them. I checked their package prices and its' exactly what they offer on fairmont.com. So why be a plat member, qualify, and be treated the way we do?.. when you go on a public website and basically better? Like, why would we qualify for plat, spend our certificates when we can book with these preferred partners and get a better deal? Anyways, I would have thought that would further upgrade at check-in for plats, but have the heads up straight from the hotel, and the FPC desk, that they absolutely will not treat plats better than the public, and that is now hotel policy.

Found out why the level of service at the Orchid has went south a bit for Plats. Orchid has this Ali'i program and basically for $2,100 per year, you pay $199 per night, and time of check-in the front desk will let you check into the best suite, including OF Suite, that is available. I imagine that the policy has changed at Kea Lani too because of some sort of program I haven't come accross with. Basically, beware right now of the new policy changes in Hawaii.. it seems like both hotels may be shifting to some of pre-paid loyalty program that is apart from the FPC program, and is putting pressure on the FPC members not getting the room upgrades experienced as in the past. I'm not saying that there won't be upgrades, with the suites, don't expect much. This Ali'i program is plugging up the system, and I've heard that the Ali'i members have priority over Platinum members of Fairmont.

Anyways, enough with the negative.. will concentrate on my infants' son vacation, and trying to make it special for my family. Aloha!

Transferred/copied above from the Kea Lani thread because part of the post was Orchid.

Anyways, a nice touch just happened while in the room at Orchid, a gentlemen knocked on my door with what looked like an amenity.. I said we already received an amenity on our first day.. he says that for those clients who stay 10 nights or more gets their fruit amenity refreshed everyday.. Having missed two days not getting this amenity refreshed, I still found this to be a bonus. Nice touch.. keep it up Orchid!^
Isn't that the program reserved for people who own homes on the adjacent properties to sign for food, spa, etc.? I think it has a friends and family deal for when those people have guests they want to put up at the hotel.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jgoodm
Isn't that the program reserved for people who own homes on the adjacent properties to sign for food, spa, etc.? I think it has a friends and family deal for when those people have guests they want to put up at the hotel.
Apparently, anyone can sign up for the Ali'i program for $2,100US per year, and get these Kama'aina rates at $199 per night. Get free cabana, self parking, 20% off services, guaranteed upgrades, etc.

Anyways, the staff is awesome and will have us coming back. The balance of the stay had all of the long time employees we knew coming out of the wood work. In fact, my wife was crying on the last day because she's going to miss everyone. I guess when you spend 2 weeks at a property, and its the fourth stay, you tend to know alot of people. Cynthia the restaurant manager was simply outstanding and made our stay 5*. I guess we were on the breakfast plan, and she made an exception for our family for the Easter brunch. My son went gaga over the Easter Bunnies and chocolates. They handed out stuffed bunnies, and the buffet was simply outstanding.. The buffet rate was $75 per person.. and locals were attending this function like hotcakes. Long tables filled with people all over the Orchid Court.

Special thanks to Paul, Suzanne, Joanne, Kalei, Umi, Jessica, Chris, Nafa, Hrudey, Cici, Rhoda, Elaine.. Simply outstanding and remembered us by name from years past stays.

Hopefully I can work out a good deal with some of the new managers we've met. We like to stay long, but we're always looking at our budget, and the great rates/suite upgrades make it comfortable to get it done.. Aloha!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:25 pm

Upgrade coupon

Hi,

We will be staying at the Fairmont Orchid for 12 nights at the end of this month. Can anyone tell me if the suite upgrade coupon is good for 5 nights only(as stated) or has anyone managed to successfully negotiate the upgrade for your entire stay. We are premier club members, our reservations have been upgraded from GV room to GV suite. Just wondering if we would need to switch rooms half way through. Is one tower better than the other? Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jeremy98501
Hi,

We will be staying at the Fairmont Orchid for 12 nights at the end of this month. Can anyone tell me if the suite upgrade coupon is good for 5 nights only(as stated) or has anyone managed to successfully negotiate the upgrade for your entire stay. We are premier club members, our reservations have been upgraded from GV room to GV suite. Just wondering if we would need to switch rooms half way through. Is one tower better than the other? Thanks.
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Haven´t been to the Fairmont Orchid, but to many other Fairmont properties.
IMO it´s rather unlikely they will accept one suite upgrade cert for 12 nights, if you offered 2 they may be willing to relax the rules a little (but I guess you only have one cert, so that´s likely not an option).
If I were you I´d call the hotel directly and ask whether they can offer some sort of deal (discounted surcharge to upgrade the rest of the stay etc.)

Btw. how did you manage to apply the upgrade? If you called FPC, they likely had a look at your profile and should have noticed that you don´t have three suite upgrade certs.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Been to Orchid 4 times and each time they were strict about the 5 nights limit. Check with Concierge what the stipulations are.. they would tell you how you were upgraded the entire stay if you are required to produce x number of certs. We always pool together 2 or 3 or 4 suite upgrades to be upgraded the entire stay.

I've arranged with my FPC personal concierge.. any FPC Premier or Platinum Member interested in using their suite upgrade, can obtain an Ocean View Suite, and Ocean Front Suite (1,477 sq ft) for a nominal fee.. PM me and I'll forward my FPC personal concierge name and contact details. I've stayed in the Ocean Front Suite for 18 nights a couple years back, and the suite is phenomenal.. literraly the waves are splashing almost against the hotel with ocean front panoramic views.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Jun 5, 2010 at 12:38 am
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:51 pm

Upgrade coupon

Thank you for the warm welcome and the prompt and helpful replies. You're probably right that the upgrade is for 5 nights only it must have noted somewhere in our reservation, we booked through FPC. It's our first time using the cert, tried using it in Kea Lani unsucessfully due to the high occupancy rate.

Thanks for the tips, would really appreciate having the contact numbers of the concierge you mentioned. Would try to work out paying a premium to save the hassle of relocating half way through. We are travelling with kids so the extra space is always welcome.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:19 am
Suspended

Thank you for the warm welcome and the prompt and helpful replies. You're probably right that the upgrade is for 5 nights only it must have noted somewhere in our reservation, we booked through FPC. It's our first time using the cert, tried using it in Kea Lani unsucessfully due to the high occupancy rate.

Thanks for the tips, would really appreciate having the contact numbers of the concierge you mentioned. Would try to work out paying a premium to save the hassle of relocating half way through. We are travelling with kids so the extra space is always welcome.

Thanks again for all your help.
Got your PM, and sent the PM per inquiry.. I would definitely call concierge and see what they guaranteed booked for you and get an e-mail confirmation with the breakdown of each night/prices/and certs to be used. If they guaranteed booked a Garden View Suite the entire stay you mentioned, confirm it and request a higher floor so you can actually see a bit of the ocean. Higher the better, however on the south tower fifth floor, its' smoking half of the floor.. you would be in the part where its' non-smoking, however the smoke tends to drift and you can smell the smoke when walking down the hall, or at night through the ventilation system.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:33 pm

Upgrade coupon

Received your PM, thanks again. Will let you know how this turns out...would definitely try to stay away from the partial smoking floor you mentioned.

We should reach plats status after this trip so would have 2 more certs to use in the future. Counting down to our trip to beautiful Kona!
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Received your PM, thanks again. Will let you know how this turns out...would definitely try to stay away from the partial smoking floor you mentioned.

We should reach plats status after this trip so would have 2 more certs to use in the future. Counting down to our trip to beautiful Kona!
Do you reach Plat during your stay? If so, my personal concierge can get the certs for suite upgrade immediately to you, even during your stay at the Orchid, that way you can enjoy the upgrade throughout your extended stay.

For example.. For first 5 nights you're in a suite, but you reach Plat within first 5 nights, then your FPC account could be credited if you checked out when you reach Plat.. Another reservation made, prearranged with my personal concierge.. your last 7 nights could be in a suite as well.

I like using the suite certs at this property because all the suites are near ocean front.. including Ocean View.. so when you upgrade to a suite, all suites are at most 4th room from the ocean. Plus the suites are double the size of any room, including Ocean Front rooms.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Just got to the orchid, nice property, better than I remembered from a couple years ago.

We had an "ocean view" room requested the north tower, and use a suite upgrade, were put in a nice 1 BR suite (they are actually quite large and more usable than say the Kea Lani suites) with an "ocean view" room. I say ocean view, since it IS ocean view, but it is on one of the top floors of the tower, but faces away from the pool area which would be the MOST ocean view one could get. Had I reservered PARTIAL OCEAN view I would have expected this room. We look out on the golf course. But, I think it might actually be better since I really don't need to look out at the pool the whole time, this might be a bit more quite and I'm not really one to sit out on the Lanai and ponder anyways..

good use of a suite upgrade cert, dinner tonite at Browns' for bday. :-)
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Just got to the orchid, nice property, better than I remembered from a couple years ago.

We had an "ocean view" room requested the north tower, and use a suite upgrade, were put in a nice 1 BR suite (they are actually quite large and more usable than say the Kea Lani suites) with an "ocean view" room. I say ocean view, since it IS ocean view, but it is on one of the top floors of the tower, but faces away from the pool area which would be the MOST ocean view one could get. Had I reservered PARTIAL OCEAN view I would have expected this room. We look out on the golf course. But, I think it might actually be better since I really don't need to look out at the pool the whole time, this might be a bit more quite and I'm not really one to sit out on the Lanai and ponder anyways..

good use of a suite upgrade cert, dinner tonite at Browns' for bday. :-)
Great to hear you're on property.. they've got Gathering of the Kings on Saturday.. good show.. and on site. Do the "You Deserve It" Spa Package.. 2 ocean side massages, Hale Kai meal, free one day parking.. $299. Or on Saturday, do Four Seasons Surf Sand and Stars.. get concierge to book this one for you. $86 pp, all you can eat lobster, sushi, sashimi, steak, ribs, etc. Ruth's Chris Prime Time might still be all night at Shops at Mauna Lani.

Don't like your Ocean View suite backing on the course.. inquire about Ocean Front for the remainder of the stay at the front desk.. you won't be dissappointed. Keith Seibenhaler, Front Office Manager will hook you up on the deal. IMO.. great value on the suite upgrades and your suite is literrally first 4 rooms to ocean front.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Jun 11, 2010 at 1:10 am
Old Aug 25, 2010, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Booked today our spring break vacation and flights to Fairmont Orchid in Hawai'i.. I might add.. a super economic vacation as we were able to book 3 tickets on 40,000 points each with Air Canada/United. So we'll be flying out of Calgary to Kona, laying over LAX.. and on the way back from Maui Direct to Calgary. Will also book an inter-island flight to Maui, and staying at the Kea Lani for the balance of the trip. This will be 8 years in a row we've been visiting the Hawaiian islands.

Had a new contact down there and was able to schwing a deal.. Booked 15 nights in a 1,044 sq ft Executive Ocean View Suite.. Price paid was only $14 more per night than the lowest price offered currently and the hotel agreed to only take one suite upgrade for the entire 15 night stay. Budda Boom Budda Ching.. an excellent Aloha vacation for mere cents on the dollar. ^

My contact has agreed to upgrade my friends subject to availability, by just e-mailing him in Washington DC when arrives.. I will be posting the name on my FB page amongst my other contacts for those interested later next month. To get connected to Friends and Family rates, and some connections to a few high places PM me for a Facebook Friends link.

EDIT: Can't book through Platinum Desk using suite upgrades after March 1st, 2011 for the current year throughout all Fairmonts as the blackout dates have not been released yet (limited access).. I was told that limited access is finalized by Fairmont corporate head office, and will be released towards the end of the year. If you're going to book, you will need to get approval through the hotel.. and the Platinum desk can ask the hotel for you. A bit of a process I had to go through to jump through the hoops.. but got a spring break vacation done today.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Aug 25, 2010 at 8:54 pm
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
Fairmont has a number of very impressive hotels in its collection but my wife and I found the rooms and suites in this one rather tired. The ventilation was rather stuffy and stale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.