Wiki Posts
Search

New hotel openings 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:34 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
The building in which the Sofitel Singapore will be located will be completed mid 2016 (according to a Straits Times report from 2015).

As for Kuala Lumpur, a Aug 2015 article from hnwort states that the Damansara City Development should be completed by Q2 2016.

Anyway, by the look of things we should have two Sofitels in the region by end 2016.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:40 pm
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Very good news and thanks for sharing. I agree that a Sofitel or a Pullman on Orchard Rd would be nice.
And without forgetting that the emblematic hotel of Singapore, the Raffles, should join the network soon :-)
What would be nice is to see if the Swissotel The Standford could be rebranded into a Pullman hotel. It's a personal idea although I do not know if others will agree on this
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:48 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cocoleolol
Very good news and thanks for sharing. I agree that a Sofitel or a Pullman on Orchard Rd would be nice.
And without forgetting that the emblematic hotel of Singapore, the Raffles, should join the network soon :-)
What would be nice is to see if the Swissotel The Standford could be rebranded into a Pullman hotel. It's a personal idea although I do not know if others will agree on this
Certainly. Would be an ideal candidate I'd say.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:02 pm
Accor 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Although I wonder what will happen to Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore? I would't say its a nice hotel either in point of view although its nicely located along Clarke Quay near to Novotel.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Although I wonder what will happen to Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore? I would't say its a nice hotel either in point of view although its nicely located along Clarke Quay near to Novotel.
Maybe a Grand Mercure?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: QF WP
I am very much looking forward to the opening of the 3rd Sofitel in Singapore.
One of them is a resort in Sentosa, the other is, well, not really up to Sofitel standard by all accounts. So in a way, I guess this would be the first proper Sofitel in SIN.

Not sure what's going to happen with Raffles when it comes into the network - it's really in a class of its own above Sofitel.

Maybe a Grand Mercure?
Sounds about right. It's actually not that bad of a property.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:16 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
One of them is a resort in Sentosa, the other is, well, not really up to Sofitel standard by all accounts. So in a way, I guess this would be the first proper Sofitel in SIN.

Not sure what's going to happen with Raffles when it comes into the network - it's really in a class of its own above Sofitel.

Sounds about right. It's actually not that bad of a property.

I would say that Sofitel So Singapore is borderline Sofitel, its really boutique and if you ask me, it should have been under MGallery instead. I think that Raffles should not be touched as it's really the Icon of Singapore and Raffles WorldWide.

I think that Swissotel at Clark Quay can't really qualify as a Grand Mercure. Reason being there is an existing Grand Mercure in Singapore and if we compare the current Swissotel to that of the Grand Mercure, I believe that the Swissotel is much better in that sense. Perhaps that could also turn into a Pullman????? Maybe yes, maybe no?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I would say that Sofitel So Singapore is borderline Sofitel, its really boutique and if you ask me, it should have been under MGallery instead. I think that Raffles should not be touched as it's really the Icon of Singapore and Raffles WorldWide.
Agreed, but it would fit very well in the Sofitel legend group.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Agreed, but it would fit very well in the Sofitel legend group.
How about a "Raffles Legend Hotel" instead?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
How about a "Raffles Legend Hotel" instead?
or "managed by Sofitel Legend" ?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The last time I stayed there it was a Westin so I agree that Pullman is the right fit. Assuming that Accor wants to get rid of the Swisshotel brand which I'm not sure is the case.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
The last time I stayed there it was a Westin so I agree that Pullman is the right fit. Assuming that Accor wants to get rid of the Swisshotel brand which I'm not sure is the case.
I'd put my money on them removing the brand. The brand doesn't hold much value and I doubt a French group would want to carry the words 'swiss'.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'd put my money on them removing the brand. The brand doesn't hold much value and I doubt a French group would want to carry the words 'swiss'.
I don't know what the brand is valued at, but it is more than nothing. And I don't know why you would say a French house would not respect a Swiss brand? There is very high respect in France for Swiss brands.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't know what the brand is valued at, but it is more than nothing. And I don't know why you would say a French house would not respect a Swiss brand? There is very high respect in France for Swiss brands.
I don't dispute that at all. But for a company, it may be different.

I don't think Accor would want to go down the route of Hilton for example which has too many sub brands. And on the face of it, IMO, the Pullman brand holds a stronger name than Swissotel. They are very similar in concept so having both brands would simple double up costs for marketing/products etc.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:42 am
Accor 10+ Badge

I don't dispute that at all. But for a company, it may be different.

I don't think Accor would want to go down the route of Hilton for example which has too many sub brands. And on the face of it, IMO, the Pullman brand holds a stronger name than Swissotel. They are very similar in concept so having both brands would simple double up costs for marketing/products etc.
I agree, Pullman is now expending very fast and very well and their brand value is getting better and better. ALTHOUGH, Pullman is still a small brand and not really recognized worldwide yet. It has majority of its property in Asia.

Therefore, if Accor would like to change Swissotel to Pullman worldwide, Accor gotta really do alot of advertising so as to boost Pullman image in North and South America. Since Swissotel has quite a number of property there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.