Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Layover at SEA - What to do? Where to go? How much time?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at SEA - What to do? Where to go? How much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2005, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA, HA regular member, HH, HGP, SPG, Prince Preferred, Budget Fast Break
24 hours in SEA

Help! I would like some suggestions for a hotel in SEA, would like a nice one please, up to say $500/nt in a good location so that it is easy to get around to see the sights. And speaking of sights, what do we take in? Looks like the stay will be for an arrival Dec. 5 and out the next morning. We are considering taking the A.O.E. up the coast from LAX. It's a splurge of a trip, but what a great itinerary and inclusions for the price...fare includes a one-night stay at the St. Francis in SFO while en route to SEA! If you reply, please PM me that you have replied here as I don't frequent this board. Or if you just prefer to PM the info that would be great as well.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
If you plan on staying downtown, I would suggest the Inn at the Market, the Fairmont Olympic (formerly Four Seasons), and the W Seattle.

There are some good boutique hotels on the Eastside but I'm not sure what your are interested in. If $500/night is your budget, you should be able to do well with any choice.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:55 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Is a 6 hour layover in SEA enough time to visit the Space Needle?

Arriving in SEA at 11:03 am on NWA

Flying out the same day at 5:30pm on NWA, so not quite 6 and 1/2 hours.

I would be willing to rent a car, or take the train (if there is one)

Could I drop my bag at the Club, exit the airport, rent a car/hail a taxi/catch a train, see the Needle - preferably go to the top, and get back to the airport, get though security and catch my flight?

Would I have time to eat? Any suggestions near or on the way?
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I went to the Space Needle a couple of weeks ago, midweek and at about that time. It was a good 45mins from joining the queue to being at the top. Depending on how much you like being high up about 15-20mins is enough to take it all in IMO. I spent longer up the Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building etc.

I'd say presuming you arrive on time it could pan out like this:
11.00am - Arrive
11.45am - Into Seattle. There is parking near the EMP (Experience Music Project and it is a short walk from there to the Space Needle)
12.30pm - Top of Space Needle.
1pm - Bottom of Space Needle.

As for eating, well depends on what you like. There are plenty of takeaway seafood places on the waterfront area but it is a bit of a walk from Seattle Center down there. Personally I wasn't so keen on the deep fried cod etc (even as a Brit ) but there are plenty of small cafe type places around Pikes Place Market. You can take the monorail (if it is working) or perhaps even a bus to downtown from Seattle Center. Parking in Seattle is plenitful but can be pricey compared to what I'm used to on the East Coast (up to $10 for 3hrs or so) but can be avoided if you cab it.

I'd say you can easily do the Space Needle and more in your layover, certainly Pikes Place Market as well ^
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
With your limited time, here's my suggestion (I did this too): Make a reservation for lunch at the restaurant at the top of the Space Needle (SkyCity). The minimum charge is $25 per guest, and during lunch all the entrees are around $25-30. With tickets to the observation deck only costing $14, you're essentially paying $11 for a pretty good meal with a view and great service. Another advantage: Access to the observation deck is included, and once you're done you can go up immediately. ^

Warning... lunch is M-F only, last reservation is 3:30pm.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
IceTrojan, good thinking ^ Had forgotten about the restaurant, although TBH I've heard the food is overpriced, however, including the $14 for going to the top it is much better value ^^
Old Jul 20, 2006, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
With your limited time, here's my suggestion (I did this too): Make a reservation for lunch at the restaurant at the top of the Space Needle (SkyCity). The minimum charge is $25 per guest, and during lunch all the entrees are around $25-30. With tickets to the observation deck only costing $14, you're essentially paying $11 for a pretty good meal with a view and great service. Another advantage: Access to the observation deck is included, and once you're done you can go up immediately. ^

Warning... lunch is M-F only, last reservation is 3:30pm.
So to clarify, at trip to the top is included with your lunch which will run 25-35 per person?

Seems like that would be the way to go.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by MKEbound
So to clarify, at trip to the top is included with your lunch which will run 25-35 per person?
This is confirmed. Link to lunch menu: http://www.spaceneedle.com/restaurant/menus/lunch.asp

FYI - It takes 1 hour for the restaurant to complete its rotation. I found the view there to be better, since it's pane windows and therefore unobstructed for the most part. Also more relaxing. The advantage to the O deck is that you get to step outside. Disadvantages: Fencing ruins the pictures, as well as the unwashed masses.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:27 am

Thank you for all your help!
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:44 am

Programs: B6, DL, UA
If only light rail were finished all the way to SEA.....
Old Jul 21, 2006, 12:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You can take the 194 express bus downtown, and easily get over to the Space Needle by monorail (from Westlake Center) or connecting bus.
http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/bus/...s/s194_0_.html
Old Jul 21, 2006, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
You can take the 194 express bus downtown, and easily get over to the Space Needle by monorail (from Westlake Center) or connecting bus.
http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/bus/...s/s194_0_.html
IF the monorail is actually working, it would be a good idea.

Originally Posted by Lineman
If only light rail were finished all the way to SEA.....
Light Rail - that would cool!
Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What day of the week is this?

Heading to SeaTac around 5:30 could take a bit longer if it is during the week (and if there's a Mariner's game...)

BUt I say- DO IT!!! It beats hanging out at the Airport!
Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:36 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Arriving in SEA at 11:03 am on NWA

Flying out the same day at 5:30pm on NWA, so not quite 6 and 1/2 hours.

I would be willing to rent a car, or take the train (if there is one)
Coming soon! (Well, December 2009 hopefully)

http://www.soundtransit.org/x234.xml

Could I drop my bag at the Club, exit the airport, rent a car/hail a taxi/catch a train, see the Needle - preferably go to the top, and get back to the airport, get though security and catch my flight?
Make sure this is OK with the club (it wasn't at the old Terminal C DL Crown Room in BOS for example)

And if you are using the SEA WorldClub, make sure it is open after 5pm!

Would I have time to eat? Any suggestions near or on the way?
There is but one place to eat in Seattle:

Dick's Lower Queen Anne!

http://www.ddir.com/store_queen_ann.html
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS, UA
The monorail is working now. The bus takes a long time to get from the airport to downtown. If you have a lunch reservation I would ake a cab or rent a car. I don't know if you have to be local to do it but "Flexcar" is an option to rent a car for just a few hours. www.flexcar.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.