Consolidated "Layover at SEA - What to do? Where to go? How much time?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at SEA - What to do? Where to go? How much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
If a taxi is ~$35 each way, and the bus is irregular, I don't see why I wouldn't get a car.

So, with that knowledge, what should I not miss?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:11 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
It looks like the museum of flight is only open till 5pm

http://www.museumofflight.org/Displa...age=VisGetHere

As much as I'd like to explore the Concorde, and visit some of their cool displays http://www.museumofflight.org/Displa...e=GreatGallery I think I'm going to save that for another visit.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:14 pm

Programs: ac, as
the 194 metro bus leaves baggage claim every 15 minutes or so. Its express and goes on the freeway right downtown. It runs all nite, much faster than 174 bus. Costs about $2 or less each way. You could take that or Grayline bus r/t should be about $18. If Grayline take to Westin and walk to Monorail for ride to space needle etc.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:06 am
Original Member

I think you need consider the hassle of parking if you have car and pick up and return.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: Peasant at large
Originally Posted by yan19454
I think you need consider the hassle of parking if you have car and pick up and return.
Agreed but also consider where you will be going. Even if you fork out $10 (almost definitely less) for parking in downtown seattle shopping district or Pike's market, it's still going to be cheaper or about the same as taking a cab. Difference is, cabs are not as easily available in our city compared to say NYC.

One important point is the day you will be in town. If it's a weekday, personally, I'd just stay at a club lounge at the airport or crash at a local hotel (there are a bunch around SEATAC). Traffic is usually horrible during weekdays rush hour so you'll be burning anywhere from 1-3 hours (total) just driving to and from downtown depending on your luck. If it's a weekend, definitely good idea to head to town. More than enough time for the space needle and EMP or hit pioneer square for the underground tour. There's a really nice bookstore (Elliot bay?) and some nice restaurants there too.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:10 pm
Suspended

You'll have tons of time. The bus downtown is great or you can cab it if you want to save the time. You can visit the Experience Music Project while you visit the area with the space needle. Skip the science fiction place as it sucks. You can eat in the space needle if you want. They'll give you free admission to the needle if you do. I'd say hit downtown, go to Pike Place Market, go to EMP, SAM (if time allows), space needle, eat dinner airport.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:32 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by crunchie
Agreed but also consider where you will be going. Even if you fork out $10 (almost definitely less) for parking in downtown seattle shopping district or Pike's market, it's still going to be cheaper or about the same as taking a cab. Difference is, cabs are not as easily available in our city compared to say NYC.

One important point is the day you will be in town. If it's a weekday, personally, I'd just stay at a club lounge at the airport or crash at a local hotel (there are a bunch around SEATAC). Traffic is usually horrible during weekdays rush hour so you'll be burning anywhere from 1-3 hours (total) just driving to and from downtown depending on your luck. If it's a weekend, definitely good idea to head to town. More than enough time for the space needle and EMP or hit pioneer square for the underground tour. There's a really nice bookstore (Elliot bay?) and some nice restaurants there too.
Gosh- where are you parking that it's <$10 downtown during the day?
Old Aug 8, 2008, 7:05 pm

Read through the thread, but it didn't specifically address this. 7 hour layover, arriving at 10:30 pm, departing 6:00 am. Even with downtown so close, seems like my best option would be to hang out in the airport, or grab a hotel room. I'll be traveling with an infant.

What cheap options are out there to catch a few hours of sleep?

I don't have access to any of the airport lounges.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dougouolo
What cheap options are out there to catch a few hours of sleep?
I'd probably just Priceline an airport hotel.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 12:04 am

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Platmond, AA credit card stooge, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH,
Originally Posted by chexfan
I'd probably just Priceline an airport hotel.
I've ended up in the Holiday Inn Seatac twice with Priceline with bids of $40 and $45. The hotel isn't exactly a stellar property and parking is a ugly $12, but it's not bad if you can get it for less than half the rack rate.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Things to do in Seattle - 9 hr layover

Hello,

This will be my first time to Seattle. I have a 9hr layover which gives me a good amount of time to see the city. Cant wait! Any tips/suggestions on places to go and things to see during this time? Tips on getting from/to the airport? Good restaurants?

Is there a Marriott hotel shuttle that possibly brings me downtown?(was thinking about checking my bags at a hotel during the day anyway).

I get into seattle at 11:52am and my flight out is at 9:07pm. Thanks in advance. Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:57 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The 174 and 194 buses run from the airport to downtown every few minutes. One is an express and the other a local, so make sure you print out the schedules before arrival. Once you're downtown you'll have no problem occupying your time. You could even take the ferry over to Bainbridge Island and back.
http://transit.metrokc.gov/
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:57 pm

Did you look through the Seattle Visitors Guide and the top of the West forum page? I think you will find everything you could possibly want to know there.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by IK in Seattle
Did you look through the Seattle Visitors Guide and the top of the West forum page? I think you will find everything you could possibly want to know there.
not quite sure how i missed that! thanks.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 6:19 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Are you arriving in the next few days, or is this information for a future flight?

The weather in Seattle has been horrible the past few days, and the city bus system is running at half capacity. Many streets are iced over and travel is difficult at best. There is another storm predicted for tonight and Christmas day. If your travel is today or tomorrow, I would strongly encourage you to stay at the airport.

Check out this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...21-2008-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.