Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at SEA - What to do? Where to go? How much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miki
The monorail is working now.
Actually, if you are basing this on the fact that you can see it working, it is incorrect. They are still testing it, so it is not open for passenger use.

Also confirmed here...

There are plenty of buses to get from Seattle Center (where the Space Needle is) to downtown. Rtes 1, 2, 13 off the top of my head.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chexfan
There are plenty of buses to get from Seattle Center (where the Space Needle is) to downtown. Rtes 1, 2, 13 off the top of my head.
Easy Guide for Downtown Bus Service
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:30 am

Programs: United Gold, US Air Silver, Hilton Diamond
4 Hour SEA Layover

I'm stuck with a 4-hour layover in SEA on Sunday before continuing on to FAI. Anyone have a recommendation of what I can do to fill those 4 hours? Arrival into SEA is 11:30AM.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:05 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I don't know that I'd leave the airport with that short window.

You can buy a day pass to the Alaska Airlines Boardroom (providing that you are flying them to FAI) for $25-$30 and hang out there, or there is the Pacific Marketplace between the B and C concourses. There are several places to eat, some shopping options, and lots of chairs and benches to people and plane watch.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Might I put in a plug for Vino Volo? I grew fond of the
Dulles location and was pleased to find them sprouting
up various places, including the B/C terminal here.

Or, you could hike out to Spencer's, where I hear the
steaks are good but pricy (I didn't care for the one I
had in Spokane, though), or 13 Coins (mixed reports), or
Sharp's Roaster (have heard nothing about the place).
These places are a short walk off premises - just follow
the auto road at arrivals level - there's a good sidewalk -
and down to the traffic light at International Boulevard,
or Pacific Highway, or whatever they call it.

[I'm looking at an MR on Tuesday coming with a 3 1/2 hr
layover and will do some or all of the above.]
Old Feb 23, 2007, 5:23 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Depending on the time of day, security lines could be short or long, so if it were me, I'd stay inside security. I definitely wouldn't leave the secure side if I didn't have access to an elite line coming back through security. I frequently have 3 or 4 hour lay-overs waiting for one of the four daily flights to EAT from SEA, and never have trouble filling the time. There's free Internet access, free wine, beer, and vodka drinks, and an assortment of free snacks in the Alaska Board Room. You can easily make back the cost of a day pass if you use all of the above. There's also a decent (for an airport) Borders book store and Anthony's Restaurant is pretty good. Both are in the Pacific Marketplace in the center courtyard of the airport.

If you do decide to leave the airport, you won't have time to do much. Certainly not enough time to go into Seattle. Roasters is just to the right as you leave the airport, 13 Coins is across the street. Both get mixed reviews. Spencers is in the Hilton, across the street and to the left and is expensive. All are within walking distance.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:32 am

If it were me I would NOT leave the airport with only 4 hours.

SEA has "street pricing" which means you can shop in any of the shops or dine at any of the restaurants (some nice, like Anthony's) for the same price as outside the airport.

Go to the Pacific Marketplace (in the airport and inside security), there is a beautiful view and some shopping and dining.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:41 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by AdrienneD
If it were me I would NOT leave the airport with only 4 hours.

SEA has "street pricing" which means you can shop in any of the shops or dine at any of the restaurants (some nice, like Anthony's) for the same price as outside the airport.

Go to the Pacific Marketplace (in the airport and inside security), there is a beautiful view and some shopping and dining.
Welcome to FlyerTalk Adrienne!
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:26 am

Programs: United Gold, US Air Silver, Hilton Diamond
Thanks to you all for the recommendations. Shop, eat and work in the lounge is what I'll do!
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, VS Gold
6 hour layover in Seattle: what to do?

Hi,

I have a 6 hour (all afternoon) layover on Tuesday, July 3 before a transatlantic flight out of SEA. Any suggestions on what to do with the time? Seems like too many hours to kill at an airport.

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Dave
Healdsburg, CA
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
The Boeing Musuem of Flight is about a 15 min. drive from the airport. Don't konw the cab fare but most likely reasonable. The tour cost about $8.00 per person (a little less w/AAA discount). Lots of planes are on exhibit and several outside you can walk thru (a very old Airforce I & a Concord). Really a great way to spend a couple of hours and a decent gift shop as well if you need it. Have fun!
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Pick up a rental car and head to Tacoma. Freighthouse Square (by the Tacoma Dome) coffee shop has Peggy's cinnamon rolls - an awesome warm heart-attack-on-a-plate.
And on out to Point Defiance Park - small zoo, gorgeous roses, wonderful views of Puget Sound from the drive through the park. Just allow enough time for traffic, rush hour there is as bad as most anywhere.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 5:32 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I really wouldn't want to go play on the freeway the afternoon before a national holiday.

The Museum of Flight is a good idea - www.museumofflight.org.

Or a taxi to the Pike Market downtown is also fun.

Or both - cab to the market for a late lunch, then cab or bus to the MoF, then to the airport for quality time in the security queues.

You can also take the Grey Line hotel airporter downtown for $10 or so, vs. $30 for a taxi downtown (probably $20 to the MoF.)
Old Jun 21, 2007, 1:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
I would rent a car. Probably cheaper then a cab. At SEA I prefer Avis to Hertz. 6 hours really is a long time so you probably have enough time to go downtown. On transatlantic flights such as BA when they say at least two hours they mean two hours but maybe you will already be checked in. I would not go near Tacoma since freeway traffic in South Puget Sound is terrible. Traffic between downtown and SEA on I-5 is typically not bad. It is just bad:
1) Getting on the freeway during rush hour.
2) Contruction on the airport roads makes for a bottleneck of traffic coming into SEA during peak holiday travel. Nothing like OAK or anything but allow some extra time.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, VS Gold
Great suggestions

Thanks, everyone. I'll definitely do the Museum of Flight. Sounds like the less time on freeways, the better.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.