Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at SEA - What to do? Where to go? How much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
6.5 hours in SEA

Will be doing a mileage run Feb 9th, and have from 4:30 PM until 11:00 PM at SEA.

Anything close by that would be a good time waster? I've only been in the United terminal; anything to see in the others? Restaurants?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'd take the 174 or 194 bus downtown for a few hours.
http://transit.metrokc.gov/

Sadly, the Museum of Flight, which is along the way, closes at 5pm.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I agree with what Tom said - as long as you're back at the airport by 9:30 PM you'll be fine to make your flight.

Since you're really only going to be in town when it's late (and dark) I'd recommend you just head to the Belltown area. It has lots of restaurants and bars (good happy hour places - read this month's Seattle Metropolitan magazine for Happy Hour bar suggestions).

Unfortunately, the market is closed at the time you're going to be in town and so are things like the Underground Tour.

You could also post in Community asking if other FTers want to meet you for dinner!
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Personally, I would not waste that much time at the airport since downtown is, at most, 30 minutes away. Get out of the airport and go downtown ASAP to have as much time as possible. Returning at 9 pm should be cake. The 194 Express Bus leaves downtown at 9:04 pm and gets to SEA at 9:35 pm. Maybe leave a bit earlier just to be safe. Taxi to airport would be your emergency if something happens with the bus. Otherwise RT Taxi will cost $60 - $80. Now downtown from 4:30 to 6:30 pm on weekdays will be a madhouse so walking around will be your best option. I will have to think of some 6 to 9 pm ideas for you.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K; AA Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
thanks to all for the responses...

I'm convinced I will be heading downtown, but it will be on a Saturday, not midweek.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA
Don't take the 174, if you use the bus. It makes many more stops into Seattle than the 194 does.

I have a meeting mid-day on 2/9, but maybe we can round up other folks in Seattle for drinks/supper someplace? I still haven't met the folks up here as I just moved up in November.

Post something in the Community forum if you want to meet other FTers. Depending on what you actually want to do with your time, you could also post more about what you would do in your time up here and folks can make more suggestions!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by deuce1
thanks to all for the responses...

I'm convinced I will be heading downtown, but it will be on a Saturday, not midweek.
Have a great time! But beware of these things concerning Seattle that I learned on other threads:

1. It will be dark all day
2. You won't make any friends while you are here
3. If you stay too long you'll be contemplating suicide

Otherwise enjoy yourself
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by ldsant
Unfortunately, the market is closed at the time you're going to be in town and so are things like the Underground Tour.
I'm doing a travel article on Seattle for an Irish newspaper - and I'll be there in 2 weeks time.

I have permissions to photograph inside the market - but can someone please enlighten me about the "underground tour" and where I'll get more info and contacts?

Thanks for any help.

Stephen
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Ardaghman
I'm doing a travel article on Seattle for an Irish newspaper - and I'll be there in 2 weeks time.

I have permissions to photograph inside the market - but can someone please enlighten me about the "underground tour" and where I'll get more info and contacts?

Thanks for any help.

Stephen
http://www.undergroundtour.com/
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Ardaghman

I have permissions to photograph inside the market
I did not know that was something that required permission.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by westcoastman
I did not know that was something that required permission.
Westcoastman Yes, it does - depending on what you are doing there - and how you will use the photos. Generally, all privately owned areas require "property releases" for publication (again, depending on the type of use), and as a professional photographer , I ALWAYS make advanced contact with the press offices to check on this, and this usually provides me with increased access.

Stills photography at Pike Market usually is OK (in my case it is) but filming needs permission, and you sometimes have to hire security personnel ($30 an hour at Pike market).

The neon sign and the clock tower are both copyrighted by Pike Market (I found this out after making contact) and they can be used for newspaper work but not for other paid publication without a contract - and anyone trying to do so, could be in legal hot water!

Woodway Thanks very much for the link. I'll look into it.

Best wishes,

Stephen
Old Feb 12, 2008, 7:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, AM Gold, Avis First
If you're a real music fan you may want to go to the EMP (Experience Music Project) down by the Space Needle. Haven't been there for a few years now but it sure was memorable.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
10 hour layover in SEA

Landing just before 3pm, leaving just before 1am. September 2008

I would think this would be enough time to leave the airport, eat dinner, visit the top of the Space Needle, make it back to the airport, clear security and be on my way.

Is there public transportation to and from the airport, and at those hours?
Is there something else I should do?

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 3:15 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by MKEbound
Landing just before 3pm, leaving just before 1am. September 2008

I would think this would be enough time to leave the airport, eat dinner, visit the top of the Space Needle, make it back to the airport, clear security and be on my way.

Is there public transportation to and from the airport, and at those hours?
Is there something else I should do?

Any suggestions would be welcome.
The last direct city bus leaves downtown at 10 PM, so probably your best bet is to bus into town, and either return on the 10 PM bus, or the last Gray Line Airporter from one of the major hotels around 11, or else a cab (around $35 from downtown.)

http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/bus/...s/s194_0_.html
http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

You'll have tons of time to do most anything downtown. Space Needle, Pike Market prowl, dinner, movie, ferry ride to Bainbridge, Museum of Flight (not downtown but between downtown and Sea-Tac) or any number of distractions.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:13 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Twice the last month I've been able to priceline a car in Seattle for $8. Worth a try if you have a bunch of running around you want to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.