Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Layover at SEA - What to do? Where to go? How much time?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Layover at SEA - What to do? Where to go? How much time?" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2004, 9:40 pm

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by tom911
Get out of the airport!
If you take the local bus (route 174) it goes right by the Museum of Flight, and you could visit there before heading into the city, or consider it a destination on its own.
This is what exactly I did last summer when laying over at SEA for about 5 hours before heading to Anchorage. I took the local bus (~$3 for a round trip), passed by the Museum of Flight (is that just next to Boeing Field Airport), went to downtown ; wandered around the downtown area ; went to needle building; bought some postcards and some drinks; then headed back about 80 minutes before my flight took off. I would say that Seattle is beautiful if it does not rain (like my day); I can't wait to go there again this Independence day.
Old May 4, 2004, 10:10 pm

beer? we might have beer...

Six Arms (very walkable from downtown, a bit to the east along Pike) and Elysian Brewery (a bit further east, about 14th and Pine) are pretty good for food & they have their own beer. There are nice places out further in Fremont & so, but that would be a stretch if you only have a few hours. Or downtown on Post Alley across from the ferry terminal, Owl & Thistle is a Irish bar- don't know if they serve any microbrews there, as I've stuck to Guinness on the beer front there.
Old May 4, 2004, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Sluggo!
All great ideas, Thanks! The aviation museum sounds cool, I've been on a couple of MR's to SFO and the museum in the airport has always been closed Ferries and good eats will suit me fine, though I thought I heard they drink some beer in the great NW...maybe I was mistaken ...any hints on friendly local pubs?
There's a ton of good places to drink beer in Seattle. If you're going to take a ferry, the building I work in across from the walkway to the ferry terminal (800 block of 1st Ave) has two good Irish pubs (Owl & Thistle and Fado's) and a more trendy spot (Contour).
Old May 5, 2004, 1:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
If you take the ferry, go to Bainbridge Island, not Bremerton. Bremerton is an hour o/w; Bainbridge is only 30-35 min. Also, the Bainbridge run has newer ferries, and is a _much_ nicer town if you have the chance to leave the terminal. I believe they make everyone get off on both ends of the runs now, for security sweeps.

Museum of Flight is on a par with the National Air and Space Museum - you could spend your whole time there.

As for beer, you might go to the Pike Place Brewery at the market.

Last edited by DCA-SEA; May 5, 2004 at 1:18 am
Old May 5, 2004, 2:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kells Irish pub, in Post Alley, which is the unofficial pub when we have FT get togethers in Seattle ^

Bainbridge is much better than Bremerton if you're going to set off walking on foot. It has a nice walkable city center with shops and a pretty decent local bookstore with travel section. It's only a couple blocks long. Also plenty of places for something to eat or drink before you turn back around. You do need to be careful of ferry schedules to make sure you're back on time. Last time I was there they were having an outdoor festival in a park near the ferry pier, so you might run across something like that.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

If this is your first time in Seattle, though, I'd stay in the city and visit the Space Needle and shops around Westlake Center (the monorail will connect the two), or Pike Place marketplace. PLENTY to stay occupied for a few hours in that vicinity.
Old May 5, 2004, 2:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by UA vs NW
I would say that Seattle is beautiful if it does not rain (like my day); I can't wait to go there again this Independence day.
Keep in mind there is an annual FT get together there in August. I've made the last few, sort of like an annual pilgrimage to visit MissyDarlin, who does an excellent job putting this together. See her post in FT Community.

Sadly, I'll miss out this year. I do have a good excuse, though: I'll be in Athens to see my friend's daughter Natalie bring home a stack of gold medals in swimming events.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 9:01 pm

Citywalks around Seattle

Seattle Times has been doing a series of articles on ~1.5 hour long walks around Seattle neighborhood. If you can make it up Queen Anne Hill, I highly recommend the Queen Anne one. And for those interested in a ferry ride, check out the Winslow, Bainbridge Island one.

These are very well written, with maps, photos, notes on bakeries and cafes along the route, and so forth.

Seattle City Walks
Old Oct 8, 2004, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by wck4
Seattle Times has been doing a series of articles on ~1.5 hour long walks around Seattle neighborhood. If you can make it up Queen Anne Hill, I highly recommend the Queen Anne one. And for those interested in a ferry ride, check out the Winslow, Bainbridge Island one.

These are very well written, with maps, photos, notes on bakeries and cafes along the route, and so forth.

Seattle City Walks
Thanks for the great link. I spend as much leisure time in Seattle as an easternern possibly can. Not sure if I'll have time to do any of these walks this weekend, but I've got it bookmarked. Oh, and I thought it was in the bylaws that you residents were to discourage outsiders from falling in love with your city.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
this weekend ?

Izzik and I are doing a similar mileage run this weekend and meeting a group of FT'ers at the Buenos Aires Grill downtown for dinner at 6pm. Check the thread in community. Stop by and say hello.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
If it's not too late

Originally Posted by Sluggo!
The aviation museum sounds cool, I've been on a couple of MR's to SFO and the museum in the airport has always been closed Ferries and good eats will suit me fine, though I thought I heard they drink some beer in the great NW...maybe I was mistaken ...any hints on friendly local pubs?
If it's not too late to help you, I'd suggest the Elysian Brewing Co. brewpub on East Pike Street (www.elysianbrewing.com) to see why the place was just named "Large Brewpub of the Year" at the Great American Beer Festival.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Tod E Tosser
Thanks for the great link. I spend as much leisure time in Seattle as an easternern possibly can. Not sure if I'll have time to do any of these walks this weekend, but I've got it bookmarked. Oh, and I thought it was in the bylaws that you residents were to discourage outsiders from falling in love with your city.
It might be for the locals, but I'm a Jersey girl just out here for a job. That's funny, I spend too much time in NJ, so we are flipped.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 10:14 am

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
Since it doesn't look like this is going away, I'm going to move it over to the Destination: West forum. Discussion of activities at a destination as part of an overall mileage run discussion is okay, but focusing on a destination isn't really what Mileage Run is about.

Please continue to follow this discussion in the new forum.

Thanks,

Dave, a.k.a. dmfriedman
Moderator, Mileage Run
Old Oct 8, 2004, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Izzik and I are doing a similar mileage run this weekend and meeting a group of FT'ers at the Buenos Aires Grill downtown for dinner at 6pm. Check the thread in community. Stop by and say hello.
Thanks for the invite, but I'll actually be in Portland Saturday. Maybe next time.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4.5 hour layover in SEA - Suggestions?

At the end of the month I have a 4.5 hour layover in SEA. If my memory if right SEA doesn't have much in the airport, so I'd like to head downtown for lunch.

Should 4.5 hours be enough time (late morning/noonish) to be able to get downtown for lunch? Can someone recommend a good seafood resturant downtown and near the airport (in case of Irregular Ops or if 4.5 hours is too little time)?
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:37 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
You can take the Express bus #194 from the south end of baggage claim right into downtown. Takes about a half hour and $1.25/$2.00 each way (depending on time of travel)

There are a ton of seafood options. Anthonys at Pier 66, or you can pop into Ivars, Steamers, or Elliotts at various places along the waterfront. If you want your seafood more asian style, get off at the International District stop. Otherwise, the University stop will put you in the middle of downtown, just a few blocks from the water.

For near the airport dining, there is 13 coins, Roasters (not really seafood though), and various hotel restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.