Search

Barclay US Airways Card Becoming AAdvantage Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 8:53 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
It's not like it's Barclay's choice.
I agree, I fully believe this is a result of AA/US making sure that there isn't a card that has more competitive benefits than the Citi AA card product.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
They are obviously trimming the fat with everything. They don't care if they lose customers, they are now the largest airline in the US, now they can do what they want.
You got that right.

Another great piece of news from the merger.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I can't believe I'm saying this, but: Score 1 for United. They stopped offering their "pre-merger" credit cards shortly after the merger closed, and at least they had the good sense to grandfather in those who held the pre-merger cards, and they did not change any of the benefits (with one exception).

Now there is an "inequity" in perks, depending upon which flavor of wallet candy you acquired before the new, post-merger credit cards were issued, but I really think that this is the fairest way to handle existing and new accounts going forward.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Thinking evil:

I wonder how many people in the past six to nine months have signed up for that credit card based on a promise that they'd receive a certificate every year going forward along with other benefits - after hearing the offer droned on in every single mainline airplane.

Wonder how many of them would try to organize a class to challenge the benefit change.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Thinking evil:

I wonder how many people in the past six to nine months have signed up for that credit card based on a promise that they'd receive a certificate every year going forward along with other benefits - after hearing the offer droned on in every single mainline airplane.

Wonder how many of them would try to organize a class to challenge the benefit change.
Don't see many Class Action lawsuits about CC changing their terms, pretty sure they have solid language in there about that.

Only thing is you could get an annual fee refunded maybe at the most.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Listen, this has been a great card. The companion certificate more than pays the annual fee. The bonus is huge. The annual 10K bonus miles also pays for itself. What I have really been into is the 10K PQMs on $25K annual spend. I have one, my wife has one, and I have to admit I just got a second one since, as I say, in the current form it way more than pays for itself. I even knew -- from this thread -- that the handwriting was on the wall, but, hey, this year I'm still making money.

But the future, wow ... in many respects this credit card was the lynchpin of my rise in status with US. The 10,000 PQMs ... and the companion certificates make a couple of leisure TCONS a year affordable (another 9,000 PQMs). That's a lot of flying to make up and I'm not sure I'll have the combination of money or time moving forward ...

And, yeah, I admit to putting a lot of spend on these cards, especially US tickets at 2 miles per $. Of course, these miles are worth less to me now that Preferreds have to pay high fees for upgrades (remember those TCONS).

Look, AA/US is doing no more or less than what I would probably do if I were in a position to exact oligopoly rents. I'm not, however. They are. And the interaction of all of these "take backs" is really creating a negative spiral for me and I'm seeing some of you, too.

But, hey, if you can pay $ for F, you now get glassware. So there are winners, too.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I have to agree. Depending on the year, the FF PQMs usually push me well into the Gold level and will be aiding in pushing me to plat level. I -might- be able to live without the 10K PQMs. Or, at least, offer 5k PQMs for 30,000 in spend.

However, the pulling of the companion certs is an absolute dealbreaker for me.

The future proposed benefits package mean absolutely nothing to me. Especially for an annual fee of $79 or $99 for a card. The annual fee alone erases the $100 credit you get for spending, what, $30,000 in a year? Who are they kidding? Free bag? I already get that. 25% off in flight purchases? Who cares unless you're buy five bottles of Johnny Walker Blue from Duty Free (already inflated in price).

I've already started looking at Virgin Americas website for my 2016 travels....
Old May 16, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
I also wonder how much of this came from Citi pressure (to the extent that it would be possible -- of this I'm not sure)? Their Executive card gives 10K EQMs on AA (though at $40K spend), and given that the programs will be combined at some point it's lucrative for them if that card is the only means through which one can earn EQMs without setting foot on a plane.

Edit: Never mind, see that dw beat me to this point a few posts ago.
Old May 16, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer

However, the pulling of the companion certs is an absolute dealbreaker for me.

Me too!!!!
Old May 16, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Passport Platinum, IHG Platinum and Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by dw
Wow, so this basically aligns the benefits with the Citi AA offerings.

I wonder what is going to happen to the 10,000 mi anniversary bonus for those that have a card with that offer?
I have the same question. I just renewed last month and received the 10000 bonus miles. Will be interesting to see if I receive the bonus miles next year at renewal. If yes I will probably keep the card. Otherwise, I will downgrade to a no fee Arrival card.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SS255
I can't believe I'm saying this, but: Score 1 for United. They stopped offering their "pre-merger" credit cards shortly after the merger closed, and at least they had the good sense to grandfather in those who held the pre-merger cards, and they did not change any of the benefits (with one exception).

Now there is an "inequity" in perks, depending upon which flavor of wallet candy you acquired before the new, post-merger credit cards were issued, but I really think that this is the fairest way to handle existing and new accounts going forward.
It was much, much easier for United as Chase had the rights to both pmCO and pmUA cards.

On the other hand, holders of US Bank NW WorldPerks cards got left holding the bag -- those cards were converted to "US Bank FlexPerks", with no Delta benefits at all (and the same annual fee).

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
I also wonder how much of this came from Citi pressure (to the extent that it would be possible -- of this I'm not sure)? Their Executive card gives 10K EQMs on AA (though at $40K spend), and given that the programs will be combined at some point it's lucrative for them if that card is the only means through which one can earn EQMs without setting foot on a plane.
100% from Citi pressure. Citi's contracts with AA are secured by, among other things, the AAdvantage program itself (During AA's bankruptcy, Citi took the position that if AA terminated the Citi contract, Citi would be able to take ownership of AAdvantage).
Old May 17, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by oopsz
(During AA's bankruptcy, Citi took the position that if AA terminated the Citi contract, Citi would be able to take ownership of AAdvantage).
Oh cool, didn't know this -- that's really interesting. How long is that valid for?
Old May 17, 2014, 1:53 am

So the 5K mile discount is sticking around? The Citi card doesn't offer that.

Originally Posted by wfdude
My partner received this today for his card and this makes our cards nearly worthless. $30K spending and only a $100 discount? That's bogus. The companion certs were what really made the card for me, and the 5K mile discount. Now we lose that, too? Why even keep the card? I've been exclusively a US customer domestically for 6-7 years. Looks like I'll have to play the field now and ditch my loyalty. Not just for these reasons, but for so many others, too, like mileage upgrade fees, etc.
Anybody willing/able to scan this?

EDIT: Any word on changes for business cards?

Last edited by nall; May 17, 2014 at 2:20 am
Old May 17, 2014, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by maniakman
Just received a postal mailing concerning our two Barclay's cards:

"Exclusive benefits": Earn miles for purchases; Zone2 Boarding on US; 5000 fewer miles needed for award travel on US; First domestic bag free on US.

"Discontinued Benefits in 2015": Companion Cert; 10k PQM; 1Day Club pass; First class check in

"Exciting new benefits": 10% of your miles back upon redemption for award travel; 25% off inflight purchases; $100 flight discount if you spend $30k/yr; one way award travel

This is a major disappointment for me. Barclay will likely lose two CC customers and US will lose two (almost) exclusive US metal customers.
Any additional information on the "exciting new benefits"?

Is the 10% mileage rebate applicable now, and is there a max cap (for the Citi AA cards, it is up to 10,000 miles per year and is valid on any award redemption)?

The one-way award travel mention is also intriguing, or are they basically telling us what the benefits are after the merger is completed?
Old May 17, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Citi-Prestige,
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Shc1FhiW4N...1600/uuuuu.jpg

Moderator Note: IMG tags have been replaced by URL tags as this image is huge. Please remember to avoid using inline images that are massive.

Last edited by Microwave; May 20, 2014 at 4:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.