Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance, OneWorld
USAIR Gold 2013 --> StarAlliance Gold 2014??

I have poked around quite a bit and somehow cant find the answer to this question:

If I qualify for USAIR Gold in the 2013 CY (meaning I fly more than 50k miles), will I be Star Alliance Gold during 2014, in spite of the merger?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by ulffuerloins
I have poked around quite a bit and somehow cant find the answer to this question:

If I qualify for USAIR Gold in the 2013 CY (meaning I fly more than 50k miles), will I be Star Alliance Gold during 2014, in spite of the merger?
You will be Star Gold until the end of February. Beginning in April, you will be OneWorld Sapphire.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:40 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Isn't OP expecting status match?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:58 am

Just saw this on the AA forum. I have to admit, it's starting to sound like a sitcom.

An example of "if at first you can't succeed, try try again" courtroom tactics from our newsroom:

Federal Judge Rejects Last Ditch Bid to Block American-US Air Merger

A federal judge in New York refused to block the merger of American Airlines and US Airways in a hearing on Friday. The merger is slated to close on Monday and the combination will result in the world’s largest airline.

The two airlines settled their antitrust suit with the Department of Justice last month….
I love this section:
“I adopt Judge Lane’s rendition of the law in all respects,” she said, repeatedly noting that Alioto’s arguments relied on outdated facts, had no supporting evidence, and sometimes made no sense.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by O Sora
Isn't OP expecting status match?
How so? OP said if they qualify by flying more than 50k miles. I'm not seeing where a status match comes in to play.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: None
There could be two scenarios. #1 - as already said *A gold would end when US leaves the *A, although it's possible that there will be a grace period to allow US FFs to finish their itineraries. #2 - take the US gold and when US leaves *A do a status match to UA or one of the *A carriers based in another country, keeping *A Gold status through the new carrier as well as OW status from US once it's in OW.

Jim
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:22 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by perseus11
it would seem they will likely add showers to the their Galleries Lounges in A-West.
I doubt it - there is no space... Plus I have a feeling they will close this nice lounge and ask pax to use the US lounge upstairs.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:27 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Talking 'Hope to see you on another American Airlines flight'

Flew PHL-CLT the other day - 'Hope to see you on another American Airlines flight' was the announcement when we landed in CLT Yep - it was US metal and US F/A (BTW - wonderful service - I gave her an A&B).

On a separate note - when I entered the CLT Club yesterday the lounge Rep was studying a manual how to verify that pax is an AAdmirals Club member if they do not have the physical card - so the reciprocal lounge access is coming...
Old Dec 7, 2013, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
I doubt it - there is no space... Plus I have a feeling they will close this nice lounge and ask pax to use the US lounge upstairs.
I wonder how BA will handle that. I wouldn't think they would want to close the Galleries lounge, since they have dining for F passengers and J passengers on the late flight (sleeper service). On the other hand, if business-class passengers on US/AA flights and oneworld Emeralds can enter, the lounge will be overrun. Is BA allowed to deny entry to oneworld Emeralds and non-BA oneworld J passengers?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
Well I agree there is no space in the current location if they retain the current use, but that lounge is relatively new/costly and I don't see BA giving it up and using the upstairs AA lounge (instead). I mean BA and AA typically don't share lounges in key airports and even at PHL, with AA's' minor presence before the merger, the plan was to share the BA lounge only until AA moved to Terminal "D" and created a new Admirals Club. In fact that plan was already designed and approved by AA and PHL. IMO, with the addition of PHL OW connecting traffic and the reasonable potential of extending the BA/AA JV to PHL-LHR, it's likely that BA will add at least 1 additional PHL-LHR flight, or at the very least upgrade to 2 777s. Even if the former Envoy Lounge is transformed/enhanced into a OW Lounge (rather than an "AA" Club) for use by QR, whoever uses the 2 Euro edicted PHL-LHR slots - assuming it's a OW carrier and ?, I'd bet BA will not give up the Galleries. Of course they could transform it into a BA First Lounge - with Showers .
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Phudnik
I wonder how BA will handle that. I wouldn't think they would want to close the Galleries lounge, since they have dining for F passengers and J passengers on the late flight (sleeper service). On the other hand, if business-class passengers on US/AA flights and oneworld Emeralds can enter, the lounge will be overrun. Is BA allowed to deny entry to oneworld Emeralds and non-BA oneworld J passengers?
With PHL (likely) remaining an international gateway, AA way want to add a Flagship lounge there. Perhaps they can work with BA to convert Galleries into a shared Oneworld Flagship lounge.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by ty97
With PHL (likely) remaining an international gateway, AA way want to add a Flagship lounge there. Perhaps they can work with BA to convert Galleries into a shared Oneworld Flagship lounge.
Or I believe what they'll do is call it an Executive Club lounge and only admit F and J passengers travelling on BA metal. As well as their Silver and Gold members. And perhaps QR will contract use of it for their flight. But if I were to place a wager on it, there will be no access for AA/US club members, their respective elite FFers, or OW Sapphires/Emeralds if they are not flying BA. It is a very small lounge. Think of SQ and their Kris Lounge, particularly at SFO. They send every persona non grata to the UA Club next door.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Last Hurdle cleared

U.S. Supreme Court refuses stay request

The U.S. Supreme Court has cleared the way for American Airlines and US Airways to merge into world's largest airline company.

Late Saturday night, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg declined to hear a stay request filed by a consumer group opposing the merger.

Earlier in the day, a federal appeals court in New York also denied an emergency stay -- which prompted the consumer group to turn to the Supreme Court to block the deal.
For better or worse, new AA is ready to take off ...
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
US Airways Club Lifetime Membership

I can not find any post, if the AA/US merger will honor the US Airways Club Lifetime membership.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by 360guy
I can not find any post, if the AA/US merger will honor the US Airways Club Lifetime membership.
No announcement has been made (either way) on this AFAIK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.