Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by PA Pilot
While a recognize it's all speculation, what's everyone's best guess for a *A departure for OW should all go as US/AA hopes?

Is Summer being too hopeful to hope we are still with *A?
Talked to a US Airways agent on the telephone last week to correct an incorrect Mileage Plus number on a US Airways reservation, and she advised me in a very confident manner that I would not be able to accrue United miles on US Airways flights after the end of this year. I asked her if she was sure, and she said that she was.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by remedy
Talked to a US Airways agent on the telephone last week to correct an incorrect Mileage Plus number on a US Airways reservation, and she advised me in a very confident manner that I would not be able to accrue United miles on US Airways flights after the end of this year. I asked her if she was sure, and she said that she was.
That was probably right after she told me BGI is in Europe. Or (referring an old post in the *A award thread) Brussels Airlines (BR) sure does have a lot of flights to TPE!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Until I see a firm announcement from US/AA management and news that the suit's settled legally (either thru judgment or settling), it's all hearsay. And the opinion of one agent who hopes the merger will go thru.

And of course, US workers want the merger to go thru, because it's a significant pay increase for them.

I don't see US leaving *A until Feb/March at the earliest. Not only will it take time to withdraw from *A and move to OW, but they also risk p!ssing off US customers that have booked *A prior to any announcement. Making drastic changes without giving your customers (especially the higher value ones you don't want to anger) adequate notice is a recipe for disaster.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Superguy

I don't see US leaving *A until Feb/March at the earliest. Not only will it take time to withdraw from *A and move to OW, but they also risk p!ssing off US customers that have booked *A prior to any announcement. Making drastic changes without giving your customers (especially the higher value ones you don't want to anger) adequate notice is a recipe for disaster.
I think there has been plenty of warning, even back at the beginning of the year from DP.

Without the DoJ intervention, there were strong indications it would have been Nov 1.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
I think there has been plenty of warning, even back at the beginning of the year from DP.

Without the DoJ intervention, there were strong indications it would have been Nov 1.
Doesn't matter if they've said they want to move - a date was never announced officially and hasn't been announced due to the litigation. You can't go back and say "ok, we're approved now, so we're moving tomorrow." Those people who have booked on UA or other *A carriers will credit elsewhere, and may just decide to stay at that point. It's really dumb from a business point of view - especially due to US's limited international schedule and reliance on *A to fill in those gaps.

If I'm on a paid C fare to Asia in late December and US decided to leave *A with little notice, I'm not wasting nearly 22k PQMs. I'm staying with UA.

US can't legally begin the transition barring the merger or a formal invite into OW. Neither has happened.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
The people who have the most impact in how the court case plays out are almost definitely not answering the customer service lines.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: US airways
Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:30 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Superguy
Doesn't matter if they've said they want to move - a date was never announced officially and hasn't been announced due to the litigation. You can't go back and say "ok, we're approved now, so we're moving tomorrow." Those people who have booked on UA or other *A carriers will credit elsewhere, and may just decide to stay at that point. It's really dumb from a business point of view - especially due to US's limited international schedule and reliance on *A to fill in those gaps.

If I'm on a paid C fare to Asia in late December and US decided to leave *A with little notice, I'm not wasting nearly 22k PQMs. I'm staying with UA.

US can't legally begin the transition barring the merger or a formal invite into OW. Neither has happened.
What if you have already banked 80K with US by December? Are you going to ditch US (mid level elite with the new AA in the new year) in favor of 22K with UA (no status)? I, too, don't think US/AA will do more to piss off their elites on top of whatever inconveniences the merger will bring, though. However, it's not unheard of that airlines don't give much advanced notice when it decides to change the rules of the game (I am sure you still remember when UA decided to shaft its low level elites late in the year not too long ago).

LAX
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
What if you have already banked 80K with US by December? Are you going to ditch US (mid level elite with the new AA in the new year) in favor of 22K with UA (no status)? I, too, don't think US/AA will do more to piss off their elites on top of whatever inconveniences the merger will bring, though. However, it's not unheard of that airlines don't give much advanced notice when it decides to change the rules of the game (I am sure you still remember when UA decided to shaft its low level elites late in the year not too long ago).

LAX
That depends on a lot of things. Internationally, OW is a weaker alliance both in destinations and airlines - IMO the only ones I'd consider flying are CX and QF. If I have additional travel planned, especially at the higher end (Y/B or above), then getting low level with the auto upgrades in to F on UA make it more worth it. An easy 3K MR could be done to at least seal Silver.

Yes, I'm quite aware of UA screwing its low level elites - I think we were both in that same boat. I also think that between Horton and Dougie, they're not going to pull what UA did. AA used UA's changes to poach a lot of elites, and Dougie seems to at least learn from his and others' mistakes.

Right now, I'm debating what I'll do if the merger happens. On one hand, I'm not a fan of UA anymore. On the other hand, I can't stand JL for north Asia travel and *A is much stronger - has more airlines I want to fly on.

At the very least, I'd ensure I have status on both airlines, so I can dabble in both and see who makes the most sense.

Leaving me hanging with UA itinerary I can no longer credit to US is a game changer for me. YMMV.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:42 am

Two important bits of news just in...

American, US Airways to Seek Extension for Merger Deadline, Defend Plans in Court Filings

American Airlines and US Airways, whose planned merger has been delayed by the Department of Justice antitrust lawsuit that was filed last month, said on Tuesday that neither party currently plans to abandon their support for the merger. The two airlines also defended their merger in separate court filings that are a response to the DOJ suit.

The two airlines told members the creditors’ committee for American Airlines parent AMR Corp. that they plan to ask their boards of directors...
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCann
Aa/us are taking this to the bitter end. I don't think the doj had planned on that. They had hoped they could bully away this merger.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by DCann
Sound like it will be a while. Booked my next trip to Europe on UA and plan to stick with *A for another year here in PHX.

Any chance US would switch from *A to OW without/before a merger with AA?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kootur
Aa/us are taking this to the bitter end. I don't think the doj had planned on that. They had hoped they could bully away this merger.
Yes, DoJ was totally bluffing when they said they would go to trial over it.

I don't think the government goes in and files suit without expecting to take it to trial. It may be preferable to settle in some cases, but filing suits for the sake of "bullying" is a waste of time and resources and that can be easily used elsewhere.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sound like it will be a while. Booked my next trip to Europe on UA and plan to stick with *A for another year here in PHX.

Any chance US would switch from *A to OW without/before a merger with AA?
I doubt it.

US can't join without an invitation from AA/OW. Absent that, it would either need to remain in *A or go it alone if it left.

I think there's more to gain playing second fiddle to UA in *A than there is to AA in OW.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: None
Well, obviously switching alliances without a merger first can be done. It happens all over the world, and most recently with CO here at home. Of course, the new alliance must accept you or you're in alliance limbo.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.