Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Celebrity sightings on US Airways Flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat
This one is a bit lame unless you are a news junkie, but I was across from CNN Pentagon correspondent Barbara Starr in F on a flight CLT-DCA not too long ago.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Back in April I sat a few rows behind Samuel L Jackson on a CLT-LGA flight. He was returning from the Masters and had his Titleist hat pulled down a bit to cover his face, but really...he can't go unnoticed sitting in 1C!

Over the summer I sat behind Donovan McNabb on a PHX-EWR HP flight. Again, he was in 1C, and was greeted by nearly everyone who boarded the plane. He took it all in stride, shaking hands with the little kids and such.

I also flew with another NFL player on a PHL-CLT flight this summer, but I can't recall his name. Big guy, and the GA was fawning all over him so I knew he was apparently someone important.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:52 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Another one or two just came to mind (all on US):

Greta van Sustren on a DCA-CLT flight when she was connecting to Aruba to cover the girl's dissapearance a little while back (she was in 1F, I was in 3C on a A319 or A321).

And the one that still cracks me up: Richard Simmons on a flight about 2 years ago around mother's day PHL-LAX. He had a small entourage, and actually does wear those freakishly small shorts and tube socks out in public. Also travels with his own very large pillow. He sat in 1F (I think) and I was in 4-something.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:55 am

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by jaymay
This one is a bit lame unless you are a news junkie, but I was across from CNN Pentagon correspondent Barbara Starr in F on a flight CLT-DCA not too long ago.
I guess I must be a news junkie then because I don't think it's lame. I would have been excited.

I've already posted this in a trip report I did a few weeks ago, but last month on DCA-CLT I saw R. Lee Ermey. I didn't know his name at the time, but I definitely recognized him and said hello as he walked past during the boarding process. He spoke back and was very nice. In case you don't know, he's the guy who played the drill instructor in "Full Metal Jacket", he was the coach in "Saving Silverman", and the sheriff in the remake of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". I had to look him up on the internet to find out his name and discovered that he has actually been in over 60 films. He's got a show called "Mail Call" on The History Channel also.

That was my first celebrity sighting. What a hoot!
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:50 am

Location: US Chairman's, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Celebrity sightings

On a PIT-TPA flight two years ago, I sat across the aisle from the Hulkster...Hulk Hogan. Great guy, posed with people for pix, signed autographs, and was available for general conversation.

On a TPA to PHL flight, I was watching "Citizen Kane". The columnist George Will was sitting next to me and asked if he could plug in his headphones to view along with me.

Dick Vermeil, former coach of the Eagles and current coach of the Chiefs sat behind me on an MCI to PHL flight. He was coming into Philly to give the eulogy at Leonard Tose's (former owner of the Eagles) funeral.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold
Smile

Two of the boys to men - clt - phl this summer.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by liveon777
And the one that still cracks me up: Richard Simmons on a flight about 2 years ago around mother's day PHL-LAX. He had a small entourage, and actually does wear those freakishly small shorts and tube socks out in public. Also travels with his own very large pillow. He sat in 1F (I think) and I was in 4-something.
His exercise studio is a few blocks from where I live, and 3 buildings down from the animal shelter where I volunteer on weekends. I can confirm what you said about his shorts and tube socks!
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
PIT-MCO, August 1981: My brother was in his "I will only wear Yankees attire" phase. We pre-boarded, because my other brother was quite young at that point. All of a sudden, my Yankee fan brother started freaking out: The entire Pittsburgh Pirates minor league team was boarding, and he was embarrassed to be outfitted in Yankees gear.

And about 3 years ago: I missed an LAX-PIT upgrade on a Thursday, and was seated in 8D. I caught a glimpse of Melody Thomas Scott (from Young & The Restless) in 2A or 3A. (I don't watch Y&R, by the way.)
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:16 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Labor Day weekend, 1991. My brother and I are flying from ORD to LGA. While checking in at the gate, the GA says, "Don't look now, but Michael Jordan is standing over there reading the paper". Of course our heads immediately spun around !
He was seated in F....and the entire flight there was a procession of people going up to bug him for an autograph. Upon reaching LGA, we saw him again in baggage claim. A lady walked up and asked to take a picture, and he firmly...but politely said no.
I then walked up, offered my hand...and wished him well that coming season. He shook my hand and thanked me....and the Bulls won the championship that year.
Must have been the handshake...
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by PineyBob
I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
I guess you'll either sink or swim...
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Gold
Last fall, White Plains - PHL, actor Stanley Tucci was on my flight. Also, this spring, in line in front of me at the US ticket counter in DEN, was Oprah's boyfriend Stedman, on his way to PHL.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:12 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Only have had two celebrity sightings on US flights:

+ Robert Parish (former center with the Boston Celtics) from PHL-CLT. He was seated in 1C and was the last to board. I was in 1F and the flight was very very bumpy the whole way. The pilot did his best to move through openings in the thick clouds, but we couldn't avoid everything. I just remember him sitting in the crash brace position with his hands wrapped around his legs as he bent at the waist for the whole flight. He was very quiet and it didn't seem like anyone else recognized him.

+ Cuba Gooding, Jr., and Lee Daniels, who was directing Gooding in his film "Shadowboxer" in PHL, on LAX-PHL. The two of them sat near the back of the F cabin (I was in row 2). Both of them were really friendly to everyone on board. I later found out that they had wanted my seat, but I was hidden in the LAX Club (when it was still open) while I was getting paged at the gate. They were hurrying back to catch a Madonna concert at the Wachovia Center.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA, DL, *wd, IC
Flew from LAX to CLT in F yesterday in 4A. I noticed the FAs were making quite a fuss of the elderly gentlemen sitting in front of me in 3A, but didn't realize it was Art Linkletter till he stood up...
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Jared, the Subway sandwich guy (not sure if he even counts?) out of Indy in F on two different occasions on two different airlines. Later saw him by himself in the PHL B/C club. Pat Morita, Happy Days and the Karate Kid, this summer in Y on HP.

A coworker flying F on another airline in the late nineties was told by gate staff that "he might want to change his seat in F." The reason? His seatmate was OJ Simpson.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 4:53 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Hilton HHonors Silver, Hertz Gold
Smile

Sinbab (comedian) - at the US Luggage carousel in phl.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.