Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
What is ORC?

ORC=Original Routing Credit: Claiming credit for your original routing as you originally booked it in the event you are rerouted on flights that earn fewer miles than you originally booked.

When do I qualify for ORC?

If you are flying a UA flight on a UA-issued ticket and crediting to UA Mileage Plus, then generally after being rebooked during IROPS due to a misconnect or canceled flight (regardless of the cause--weather, mechanical, ATC delays, etc.) on a more direct routing than you originally booked that earns fewer United miles. This includes being rebooked on other airlines, even if they are not United partners, as well as being rebooked on other UA flights or UA partner flights.

What if I SDC and then have IROPS?
Reports suggest SDCing AAA-BBB to AAA-XXX-BBB and then having IROPS where you are placed back on AAA-BBB, that ORC might be denied for AAA-XXX-BBB. As your original purchase was AAA-BBB.
Unknown what would happen in more complex situations, such as you traveled to XXX and then IROPS occurred, you would probably just be better without ORC.

You will generally not qualify for ORC under the following circumstances:
  • A change to your itinerary made in advance
  • A United-initiated schedule change made prior to departure
  • A voluntary change made during travel (i.e. SDC, walking away from a segment, etc.)

A reroute during a VDB has been an open issue (best if you can get the VDB marked INVOL but still should be possible -- may take some pushback if refused)

How do I get ORC?

ORC will not post automatically (even if a gate agent assures you otherwise). You will have to call in or write into the MPSC (Mileage Plus Service Center--NOT the reservations center or Premier reservations line), provide your record locator or e-ticket number, and state that you were rerouted at United's request and would like to receive the mileage as you originally booked. You cannot do this until the miles for the flights you actually flew posted (which, for United metal, is usually shortly after your flight, as of mid-2019) and at least 5 days have passed between the original VDB flight date and the date of the request for ORC. If the agent grants you ORC, and you have UA miles already posted from the flights you actually took, they will send it to auditing. After about a week the miles for the flights you actually flew will be removed from your account and the miles for the original routing will be deposited, so check and make sure that your original routing would have indeed given you more miles than you actually earned!

If you were rebooked on a carrier which isn't a United partner (i.e. AA, DL, etc.), you can generally credit the flight you actually flew to that carrier's mileage program and still claim ORC with UA.

Any tips to ensure I am successful?

When dealing with UA over a rebooking that will earn you fewer miles, make sure the agent marks your ticket as "INVOL." When the MPSC sees this note, they will be much more likely to quickly agree to grant you ORC. The absence of "INVOL" on your ticket makes the agent think you may have voluntarily rerouted yourself on a shorter itinerary, in which case you wouldn't be able to claim ORC.

Automated rebookings (the kind where you misconnect and then check your itinerary or go to a kiosk after landing and find yourself already booked on another flight) generally seem to properly be marked "INVOL," so you should be fine in these cases. You can see if your ticket was marked "INVOL" by clicking on the "View Receipt" function for your itinerary on united.com; it will be shown next to "Fare Rules" below the fare breakdown section, like so:

Fare Rules: Additional charges may apply for changes in addition to any fare rules listed.

INVOL;CXL BY FLT DT/
Note that some people have reported success in claiming ORC on VDB rebookings if they were able to successfully persuade the agent to mark the itinerary "INVOL."

Is there ORC for MM / Lifetime credit? for PQDs?

Yes and Yes (Generally included but to be safe specifically mention these in your request)

Can a get a refund?

It is believed that requesting a refund will block the ability to request ORC.

Other issues?

You may run into difficulty if any of the following are true:
  1. You're not flying on a UA-issued ticket (recent 2022 reports suggest this is possible)
  2. The rebooking was done by a third-party due to IROPS on that third party carrier
  3. You're not crediting to UA MP

The first two may not be impossible to overcome, but you may need to work harder to get the credit (YMMV, though, especially if both #1 and #2 are true).

The third one is a different case--you need to request credit through the program you're crediting to, as third parties don't have the ability to make adjustments to programs they don't own (UA can't adjust your LH balance, for example--they can only send LH a feed of what flights that person flew, a process which is automated and tied to their operations system).

Archive of older posts - Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Print Wikipost

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2023, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thedon
I had an LH flight from TLV-MUC-LHR, and was moved to BA direct due to irops - with confirmation email and apology and all.
Can I get ORC on my UA account?
Do I contact LH or UA?
Maybe. YMMV. Was it on a 016 United ticket? Then absolutely yes. On a 220 LH ticket ... possibly. You will need to contact UA MP (e.g. [email protected]) and ask for 'Original Routing Credit'. If a UA ticket, just mention the PNR. If a LH 220 ticket then attach the original ticket as well as the irop confirmation.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 7:53 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
flight cxl on mx, switched to AA, mileage?

My flight to MEM via IAH was late and when it arrived, it had a flat tire. Knowing that I could not make the connection, the GA placed me on AA. Can I still get mileage flown on United?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 26, 2023 at 11:30 am Reason: moved to subject thread
Old Nov 26, 2023, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
My flight to MEM via IAH was late and when it arrived, it had a flat tire. Knowing that I could not make the connection, the GA placed me on AA. Can I still get mileage flown on United?
You can request for original routing credit, if you don't seek refund.

​​​​​​You can also double dip and earn with AA.
SPN Lifer and chavala like this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
To add: Email [email protected] and request ‘ORC’ - they will know what to do.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Lifetime Platnium Premier, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
out of curiosity, do you get lifetime (BIS miles) when they approve an ORC?
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 11:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jrad99
out of curiosity, do you get lifetime (BIS miles) when they approve an ORC?
Yes, that is standard.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Do you get ORC for segments? I have a 3 leg trip coming up which will get me to exactly 54 segments, but if I miss a cxn they may put me on a non-stop.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chavala
Do you get ORC for segments? I have a 3 leg trip coming up which will get me to exactly 54 segments, but if I miss a cxn they may put me on a non-stop.
ORC will give you exactly the same credit as the original booked itin would have yielded -- PQPs, PQFs, RDMs and LT Miles. If rerouted, you will be credited for the booked itin (and rerouted credits removed).
jsloan, SPN Lifer and chavala like this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chavala
I had exactly this same situations a few months back - booked on TLV-EWR-SFO but moved to TLV-SFO due to a cancelation. As expected got the full PQP, but only one PQF instead of the two. Wrote in and ended up with an "Account adjustment" in my history which shows blank in the PQF column, and 0 in both the PQP and miles columns - but which did increase my PQF count for the year by 1.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 8:20 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Lifetime Platnium Premier, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Thank you very much for this info ORC request submitted!
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:09 pm

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
LX rerouted to EK, no points either airline

I was supposed to fly Berlin to Dubai on Swiss in October and credited the miles to United. Swiss was delayed a couple of times and they rerouted me via Frankfurt on LH then Frankfurt to Dubai on EK. I received credit for Berlin-Frankfurt but United or EK won't give me credit for FRA-DXB, shouldn't I get credit from one of them?
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:18 pm

Day of travel rerouting might be eligible for original routing credit. However, if an non-016 ticket, UA has no visibility to earning unless the *A carrier reports the flight. There have been rare success reports but in general this is a non-covered event unless the *A carrier acknowledges to UA the rerouting.

Having actually flown EK, you should be able to get credit from EK (but not to UA MP).
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JTPictureman
I was supposed to fly Berlin to Dubai on Swiss in October and credited the miles to United. Swiss was delayed a couple of times and they rerouted me via Frankfurt on LH then Frankfurt to Dubai on EK. I received credit for Berlin-Frankfurt but United or EK won't give me credit for FRA-DXB, shouldn't I get credit from one of them?
a few years ago, I think early 2019, I was booked on TG BLR-BKK-TPE, but delayed 3 hours out of BLR, missing our connection. Thai put us on the China Airlines flight (which aside from mileage issue was a terrible experience, but that’s for another thread). Anyway, I was able to claim ORC. I forget all that I was asked to provide by email to the MileagePlus service center by email, but pretty sure it was the original eTicket, boarding pass from both the original TG flight and the CA flight. Summarized in an email, and I was surprised how quick this was credited - maybe 1-2 weeks.

Since this was a few years ago, I wouldn’t guarantee that policies haven’t changed. But I’d start by calling the MPSC and outlining the situation and asking them to give you ORC (original routing credit). Have all the. Documentation ready to send as needed.

good luck.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Day of travel rerouting might be eligible for original routing credit. However, if an non-016 ticket, UA has no visibility to earning unless the *A carrier reports the flight. There have been rare success reports but in general this is a non-covered event unless the *A carrier acknowledges to UA the rerouting.

Having actually flown EK, you should be able to get credit from EK (but not to UA MP).
EK refused to credit as well.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 1:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
Have AAA-BBB-CCC. BBB-CCC cancelled 2 days before departure and UA put me on direct AAA-CCC. Since this isn't day-of travel, would I still be eligible for ORC? I do see INVOL on the receipt currently.

If so, would I still get ORC if I were to call in to change to an earlier AAA-CCC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.