Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
What is ORC?

ORC=Original Routing Credit: Claiming credit for your original routing as you originally booked it in the event you are rerouted on flights that earn fewer miles than you originally booked.

When do I qualify for ORC?

If you are flying a UA flight on a UA-issued ticket and crediting to UA Mileage Plus, then generally after being rebooked during IROPS due to a misconnect or canceled flight (regardless of the cause--weather, mechanical, ATC delays, etc.) on a more direct routing than you originally booked that earns fewer United miles. This includes being rebooked on other airlines, even if they are not United partners, as well as being rebooked on other UA flights or UA partner flights.

What if I SDC and then have IROPS?
Reports suggest SDCing AAA-BBB to AAA-XXX-BBB and then having IROPS where you are placed back on AAA-BBB, that ORC might be denied for AAA-XXX-BBB. As your original purchase was AAA-BBB.
Unknown what would happen in more complex situations, such as you traveled to XXX and then IROPS occurred, you would probably just be better without ORC.

You will generally not qualify for ORC under the following circumstances:
  • A change to your itinerary made in advance
  • A United-initiated schedule change made prior to departure
  • A voluntary change made during travel (i.e. SDC, walking away from a segment, etc.)

A reroute during a VDB has been an open issue (best if you can get the VDB marked INVOL but still should be possible -- may take some pushback if refused)

How do I get ORC?

ORC will not post automatically (even if a gate agent assures you otherwise). You will have to call in or write into the MPSC (Mileage Plus Service Center--NOT the reservations center or Premier reservations line), provide your record locator or e-ticket number, and state that you were rerouted at United's request and would like to receive the mileage as you originally booked. You cannot do this until the miles for the flights you actually flew posted (which, for United metal, is usually shortly after your flight, as of mid-2019) and at least 5 days have passed between the original VDB flight date and the date of the request for ORC. If the agent grants you ORC, and you have UA miles already posted from the flights you actually took, they will send it to auditing. After about a week the miles for the flights you actually flew will be removed from your account and the miles for the original routing will be deposited, so check and make sure that your original routing would have indeed given you more miles than you actually earned!

If you were rebooked on a carrier which isn't a United partner (i.e. AA, DL, etc.), you can generally credit the flight you actually flew to that carrier's mileage program and still claim ORC with UA.

Any tips to ensure I am successful?

When dealing with UA over a rebooking that will earn you fewer miles, make sure the agent marks your ticket as "INVOL." When the MPSC sees this note, they will be much more likely to quickly agree to grant you ORC. The absence of "INVOL" on your ticket makes the agent think you may have voluntarily rerouted yourself on a shorter itinerary, in which case you wouldn't be able to claim ORC.

Automated rebookings (the kind where you misconnect and then check your itinerary or go to a kiosk after landing and find yourself already booked on another flight) generally seem to properly be marked "INVOL," so you should be fine in these cases. You can see if your ticket was marked "INVOL" by clicking on the "View Receipt" function for your itinerary on united.com; it will be shown next to "Fare Rules" below the fare breakdown section, like so:

Fare Rules: Additional charges may apply for changes in addition to any fare rules listed.

INVOL;CXL BY FLT DT/
Note that some people have reported success in claiming ORC on VDB rebookings if they were able to successfully persuade the agent to mark the itinerary "INVOL."

Is there ORC for MM / Lifetime credit? for PQDs?

Yes and Yes (Generally included but to be safe specifically mention these in your request)

Can a get a refund?

It is believed that requesting a refund will block the ability to request ORC.

Other issues?

You may run into difficulty if any of the following are true:
  1. You're not flying on a UA-issued ticket (recent 2022 reports suggest this is possible)
  2. The rebooking was done by a third-party due to IROPS on that third party carrier
  3. You're not crediting to UA MP

The first two may not be impossible to overcome, but you may need to work harder to get the credit (YMMV, though, especially if both #1 and #2 are true).

The third one is a different case--you need to request credit through the program you're crediting to, as third parties don't have the ability to make adjustments to programs they don't own (UA can't adjust your LH balance, for example--they can only send LH a feed of what flights that person flew, a process which is automated and tied to their operations system).

Archive of older posts - Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Print Wikipost

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I would have purchased/flown nonstop on this route in the first place - e.g. B6 had 2 of its 3 flights arrived on time yesterday; the 3rd one has delays but also made it. Adding connections add hours onto the trip, even with no issues, on an 1 hr+ flight.
Thanks, but I really don't need the lecture. I know the risks of opting to take a connection versus direct flight. In my case I decided to roll the dice and book UA in an effort to get more segments so I can maintain 1K this year.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
Or did my request for refund on the outbound prevent me from getting ORC?
Can't have it both ways. The only exception is a trip in vain where you can generally keep the segments already flown while still getting a full refund. Unflown segments ... nope.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:07 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
Does Original Routing Credit (ORC) still exist w/ MileagePlus?

Sorry if this has already been answered but I tried to do a search and the results are only from pre PQD days.

I was flying from PHL to EWR to HND but my PHL to EWR leg was cancelled. I will still be flying from EWR to HND though. The customer service agent wasn't able to answer if I was able to get original routing credit PQD's for my originally booked itinerary. I would have barely hit 1K with the itinerary i booked and if i don't get credit for any portion of my originally booked flight i would not hit the 1K PQD Spend criteria. anyone go through this before?

Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:12 pm

I literally just request ORC via chat with MilePlus Customer Service the other day. Didn’t need to write in or anything. Agent credited my account within 10 mins. Painless.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Evident
... I was flying from PHL to EWR to HND but my PHL to EWR leg was cancelled. I will still be flying from EWR to HND though. The customer service agent wasn't able to answer if I was able to get original routing credit PQD's for my originally booked itinerary. I would have barely hit 1K with the itinerary i booked and if i don't get credit for any portion of my originally booked flight i would not hit the 1K PQD Spend criteria. anyone go through this before?...
If it was a day of travel change and you received no refund, then you should be able to get ORC

If it was a "schedule change" and you received no refund / credit, the ticket price was unchanged, then is no need for ORC, the PQPs will be the same. You may get fewer PQFs, Advance schedule changes ae not eligible for ORC.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:23 pm

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If it was a day of travel change and you received no refund, then you should be able to get ORC

If it was a "schedule change" and you received no refund / credit, the ticket price was unchanged, then is no need for ORC, the PQPs will be the same. You may get fewer PQFs, Advance schedule changes ae not eligible for ORC.
It was a same day travel change. Had to cancel my plans to get to PHL and get to EWR instead. As long as my PQP's are the same, i'm a happy camper.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Evident
It was a same day travel change. Had to cancel my plans to get to PHL and get to EWR instead. As long as my PQP's are the same, i'm a happy camper.
unless you got a refund for that segment your PQP and consequently RDM should indeed be exactly the same as before. If not, MP can correct it.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriot Titanium, Hertz PC
No Mileage Credit When UA Rebooked Us for A Cancelled Flight

I was loyal to UA by paying more to fly on UA than on Delta to get from SLC to ATL for me and my two daughters. UA canceled the flight for mechanical reasons and an FA started pulling people from the plane as they rebooked them. UA then pulled me and my two daughters from the flight, saying they had rebooked us on a Delta flight.

After seeing I didn't receive any type of flight credit (PQF, or PQP), I spoke with an MP agent, who said I wasn't entitled to any credits since I didn't fly UA or a partner airline. Without having read the fine print, that didn't seem reasonable since I did my part to remain loyal to UA, and I shouldn't be punished twice for its mechanical failure (first the canceled flight, then not crediting me any miles.)

After speaking to two CSR, using the online "Missing Credit" form, and emailing MileagePlus, I exhausted my efforts with UA telling me it will not even credit me for my original originally booked itinerary because it decided to rebook me on Delta. I didn't request to be on Delta, UA did that without consulting me.

UAs response seems contrary to the intention of a loyalty program. I could have booked that same trip on Delta (which was non-stop) at a lower cost but instead booked a 2-segment flight that costs more on UA metal from UA's website to remain loyal, and they robbed me of my miles.

It seems UA would have credited me for the flight booked, even though it had to rebook me. Is this response for canceled flights normal, or did I just have the misfortune of encountering three uninformed and unusually unhelpful agents?

BTW, I understand I would have gotten credits if UA had rebooked me on UA or partner flights. So this question specifically relates to when UA proactively rebooks passengers on non-partner flights when it has a mechanical failure. Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: UA1K
Did you mention to them that you wanted original routing credit? It seems there are specific terms that you need to use when requesting things with UA
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
This is an easy fix. Call the MileagePlus Servicing Center, Original reservation and ticket number in hand. Ask for “original routing credit.” The agent should be able to process the request for you.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you take a refund from UA? It seems no, but that is a determinative question for what should happen.

Assuming no refund, the key phrase is that you want original routing credit after an involuntary reroute. In my experience, that is best handled by writing a short note to MPSC (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...leageplus.html). The note should only say you were originally booked on X, but due to cancellation, you were involuntarily rerouted on Y, and you request original routing credit. Don't include anything about relative price, FA "pulling people", etc. — those will just be confusing noise.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dining_Caper
... After speaking to two CSR, using the online "Missing Credit" form, and emailing MileagePlus,,,,
Missing Credit is the wrong term for your situation. Call / write MSPC and request Original Routing Credit. It is a different process and newer agents may not be aware.

MileagePlus Service Center
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
ORC is not automatic. You need to call in.

The agent did you a favor by putting you on a nonstop with Delta. Would you like to be further delayed with UA?

Originally Posted by Dining_Caper
I was loyal to UA
Bad move here. As you have experienced first hand, United does not care about your loyalty.

Even on a good day, you have increased delayed/cancellation risks by taking two flights instead DL's nonstop, never mind the additional travel and layover time.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:34 pm

Thank you--that's helpful and exactly the info I came here for.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
ORC is not automatic. You need to call in.
My post said I called in twice.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2023 at 4:48 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Did you take a refund from UA? It seems no, but that is a determinative question for what should happen.

Assuming no refund, the key phrase is that you want original routing credit after an involuntary reroute. In my experience, that is best handled by writing a short note to MPSC (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...leageplus.html). The note should only say you were originally booked on X, but due to cancellation, you were involuntarily rerouted on Y, and you request original routing credit. Don't include anything about relative price, FA "pulling people", etc. — those will just be confusing noise.
Thanks, fumje. I'll use your scripting as a template for my redo. Appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.